SAT scores came....
Apr 24, 2006 at 7:14 PM Post #16 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oistrakh
I hate how there are two english sections now. I'm so much better at math and my vocabulary sucks...

You would have had to do two english sections anyway. Pretty much all schools required that you take the Writing SAT II, so you still had to do verbal and writing. Didn't they change the verbal section in the new one though, removed analogies or something? I think they also put a little bit higher level math in it.

Apr 24, 2006 at 7:16 PM Post #17 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by tennisets
You would have had to do two english sections anyway. Pretty much all schools required that you take the Writing SAT II, so you still had to do verbal and writing. Didn't they change the verbal section in the new one though, removed analogies or something? I think they also put a little bit higher level math in it.

the biggest difference is that it's longer, which can get really painful.

Apr 24, 2006 at 7:33 PM Post #19 of 50
I think I got a 1210 or something on my SAT's. To be honest I didn't really care about my score. I knew I would do well enough to get me into the college I wanted so I didn't bother testing for it. Hell I only had like 3 hours of sleep before I went down there and took it.
tongue.gif

Apr 24, 2006 at 7:34 PM Post #20 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by DieInAFire
the biggest difference is that it's longer, which can get really painful.

You mean the verbal section is longer, or just the whole test is longer due to the addition of the writing section? How long is the new test?

Apr 24, 2006 at 8:18 PM Post #22 of 50
The whole test is longer and much more like the PSAT than the old SATs. Changes due to the Cali inspired reformat: Analogies got jacked because they were "racist". Math is the same, since adding higher level math would really start to impact those that didn't get past Geometry. Writing got added to blunt the effects of the "Asian 1000" (800 math, 200 verbal).

The SATs are pretty much devised as an IQ test (same with the MCAT, LSAT, etc.) to legally differentiate between applicants. I'm also not surprised at LFF's experience. High IQ is not the be all, end all in life. Hard work is a great equalizer.

Generally though, a 1200 (or 1800 now) is good enough for any occupation. Doctor, lawyer, President of the United States, you name it, a 1200 (or 1800) is good enough to get you there.

Apr 24, 2006 at 8:22 PM Post #23 of 50
After taking the FE (8 hrs) and the PE (8 hrs), the SAT's were a piece of cake! Not that I spent 8 hours on either...

Apr 24, 2006 at 10:58 PM Post #24 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by en480c4
After taking the FE (8 hrs) and the PE (8 hrs), the SAT's were a piece of cake! Not that I spent 8 hours on either...

Just finished a practice FE exam myself, got a 67 (70 = pass) with absolutely no preparation (and guessed a whole load of problems)
smily_headphones1.gif
Not sure I'll take the real one though, might not be useful in my line of work.

Apr 24, 2006 at 11:07 PM Post #25 of 50
Yikes...

Let's see, when did I take the SATs...oh right, 1987...duh...LOL.

Apr 25, 2006 at 12:46 AM Post #26 of 50
Wow, the 800 verbal scores being tossed around on these forums....

I only got a 760 verbal
tongue.gif
took it back when it was out of 1600.

Apr 25, 2006 at 1:03 AM Post #27 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teerawit
Wow, the 800 verbal scores being tossed around on these forums....

I only got a 760 verbal
tongue.gif
took it back when it was out of 1600.

Okay, then what is up with the members who can't write or spell for S***?

LOL...

Apr 25, 2006 at 1:11 AM Post #28 of 50
Oh god... SATs... I have to take SAT in June. I'll be so happy to score over 600 on any of the sections... English is my 2nd language so vocab part is HARD as hell.

Apr 25, 2006 at 1:13 AM Post #29 of 50
Here's a tip: I wouldn't recommend concentrating too much on other people's scores in comparison to yours, because you might just be beating yourself up for no reason. Trust me, everyone has a different definition of an admirable score, and even some of those people with 1400s+ are likely beating themselves up (there are plenty of people who do that).

Quote:

Okay, then what is up with the members who can't write or spell for S***?

LOL...

It would make one wonder, eh?
tongue.gif

"Definatly" is the only thing that really gets to me though; I don't know why, but it does.
I got in the low 700s on the verbal section, and contemplated retaking it to get a higher score, but didn't, fearing I'd get lower instead.

Apr 25, 2006 at 1:18 AM Post #30 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ e
Here's a tip: I wouldn't recommend concentrating too much on other people's scores in comparison to yours, because you might just be beating yourself up for no reason.

It would make one wonder, eh?
tongue.gif

"Definatly" is the only thing that really gets to me though; I don't know why, but it does.

Your right.

^^^ that one gets to me too
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back