SASH Deux & Tres; impressive planars from Ukraine
Feb 20, 2023 at 5:45 PM Post #826 of 1,214
Well, i finally received my 45ohm Tres, and my feelings are a mixed bag.
I ordered with all the possible pads and so far the stock solid leather pads seem to make the least compromises to the sound.
The solid velour soften the sound and fill in the 3khz gap, making them less "dark" or "vailed" but the lower frequencies get too mellow, they lose some of that solid body.
Hybrid pads seem to do the same as solid velour but something seems off, i cant put my finger on what exactly is not right, the tonality changed for the worse.
Perforated leather pads make tonality more thin and airy and the lower frequencies more limp.
Solid leather pads seem like THE pads to use for best results, makes them sound like LCD (i have not tried any audeze so i am just assuming).

The biggest downfall to me is, i finally figured out what is my preferred FR/sound signature, which is basically HD600 with a bass boost and sadly Tres don't fill in that slot, they are too dark and messing around with EQ actually made the tonality shift for worse. Don't get me wrong they are pretty amazing for being one mans passion project build with utmost love and care, they just don't fit my taste, but for some one these will definitely be THE Endgame, they are very resolving, quite open with hex grills, bass is indeed less punchy then the 14ohm version which i have as well, i think for pure dirty fun 14ohm is great for a more refined listening the 45ohm do quite nicely, they definitely crush Edition XS which sounds compressed and even more vailed with a huge hole in the low mids. Small little detail is hex grill 45ohm is quite lighter then stock grill 14ohm.

I will try listening to my pair for a week and see where i land with them, if i decide to part with them i will sell both my sets, 14ohm and 45ohm versions with all the accessories, which seem pointless at the end of the day because the hex grills and stock pads give you the best Tres has to offer.
I guess my search continues for a planar HD600, most likely the next logical step would be Audeze MM500 since the FR is quite similar to my beloved HD600.

Thanks for coming to my TedTalk/Mini review.

Feb 21, 2023 at 12:36 AM Post #827 of 1,214
I ordered with all the possible pads and so far the stock solid leather pads seem to make the least compromises to the sound.
The solid velour soften the sound and fill in the 3khz gap, making them less "dark" or "vailed" but the lower frequencies get too mellow, they lose some of that solid body.
Hybrid pads seem to do the same as solid velour but something seems off, i cant put my finger on what exactly is not right, the tonality changed for the worse.
Perforated leather pads make tonality more thin and airy and the lower frequencies more limp.
Solid leather pads seem like THE pads to use for best results, makes them sound like LCD (i have not tried any audeze so i am just assuming).

The biggest downfall to me is, i finally figured out what is my preferred FR/sound signature, which is basically HD600 with a bass boost and sadly Tres don't fill in that slot, they are too dark and messing around with EQ actually made the tonality shift for worse. Don't get me wrong they are pretty amazing for being one mans passion project build with utmost love and care, they just don't fit my taste, but for some one these will definitely be THE Endgame, they are very resolving, quite open with hex grills, bass is indeed less punchy then the 14ohm version which i have as well, i think for pure dirty fun 14ohm is great for a more refined listening the 45ohm do quite nicely, they definitely crush Edition XS which sounds compressed and even more vailed with a huge hole in the low mids. Small little detail is hex grill 45ohm is quite lighter then stock grill 14ohm.

I will try listening to my pair for a week and see where i land with them, if i decide to part with them i will sell both my sets, 14ohm and 45ohm versions with all the accessories, which seem pointless at the end of the day because the hex grills and stock pads give you the best Tres has to offer.
I guess my search continues for a planar HD600, most likely the next logical step would be Audeze MM500 since the FR is quite similar to my beloved HD600.

Have you tried my eq? I find it fixes that gap and brings up the overall mids. You can also take the low shelf to 120hz and 4db

Feb 21, 2023 at 5:21 PM Post #828 of 1,214
Have you tried my eq? I find it fixes that gap and brings up the overall mids. You can also take the low shelf to 120hz and 4db
Yes, i tried several EQ options and the stock tuning was still better, i cant put my finger on it but the whole tonality, the how natural something feels seems off, with EQ it becomes more pronounced. It seems these are simply not to my taste, unfortunately.

Feb 21, 2023 at 6:00 PM Post #829 of 1,214

Yes, i tried several EQ options and the stock tuning was still better, i cant put my finger on it but the whole tonality, the how natural something feels seems off, with EQ it becomes more pronounced. It seems these are simply not to my taste, unfortunately.

Weren't you impressed by the 16 ohm version a while ago? Was it to your taste back then?

Feb 22, 2023 at 2:36 AM Post #830 of 1,214

Sound I guess is subjective, I never liked the hd600, really good mids, but veiled treble and rolled off sub bass, also never liked there warm tonality, I never really found why people call the HD600 so neutral, I know they have neutral mids but rolled off treble and sub bass isn't really neutral, it's mid oriented warm "neutral" but honestly there hd560s and hd400 pro sound al out more neutral then the hd600.
If you check out frequency graphs of course it's visible the 560s is an hd 600 with boosted treble and no roll off and the 400pro are almost true neutral, I guess it also depends on your music, I suppose hd600 would sound neutral as long as your music didn't have to much air or rumble then the hd600 is ideal, I spent 2 years drooling over a pair of hd600 when I first got into headphones, bought them, couldn't stand the sennheiser veil, sold them a week later bought so he4xx and e mu purple hearts for the same money. The he4xx just seemed so much better then the hd600, I was surprised, still surprised that people even consider hd600 "bright" or "neutral" I mean they have neutral mids but where's the bass and treble?

Feb 22, 2023 at 6:31 AM Post #831 of 1,214
Sound I guess is subjective, I never liked the hd600, really good mids, but veiled treble and rolled off sub bass, also never liked there warm tonality, I never really found why people call the HD600 so neutral, I know they have neutral mids but rolled off treble and sub bass isn't really neutral, it's mid oriented warm "neutral" but honestly there hd560s and hd400 pro sound al out more neutral then the hd600.
If you check out frequency graphs of course it's visible the 560s is an hd 600 with boosted treble and no roll off and the 400pro are almost true neutral, I guess it also depends on your music, I suppose hd600 would sound neutral as long as your music didn't have to much air or rumble then the hd600 is ideal, I spent 2 years drooling over a pair of hd600 when I first got into headphones, bought them, couldn't stand the sennheiser veil, sold them a week later bought so he4xx and e mu purple hearts for the same money. The he4xx just seemed so much better then the hd600, I was surprised, still surprised that people even consider hd600 "bright" or "neutral" I mean they have neutral mids but where's the bass and treble?
I agree, it all comes down to preference. I loved the 600 but prefered the 650 more. But to my personal taste, the Tres 45 runs circles around them. But as I've tried more and more headphones, I learnt I tend to prefer a more reference, or slightly warmer tuning but without sacrificing any detail or clarity. The HD800/800s were wow when I first heard them, but as my music collection grew and learnt what I enjoy. The lack in low end, lack of oomph and grunt in the mids, and the uneven treble just got to me and I realised, they are great headphones but not my pick. A headphone I first heard and did not enjoy was an LCD-2. I thought they were dark, veiled, lacking clarity. But years later, I tried them again, I learnt to appreciate what they were 😊. For a very neutral headphone though, my pick is the Avantone Planar

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2023 at 11:39 AM Post #832 of 1,214
I agree, it all comes down to preference. I loved the 600 but prefered the 650 more. But to my personal taste, the Tres 45 runs circles around them. But as I've tried more and more headphones, I learnt I tend to prefer a more reference, or slightly warmer tuning but without sacrificing any detail or clarity. The HD800/800s were wow when I first heard them, but as my music collection grew and learnt what I enjoy. The lack in low end, lack of oomph and grunt in the mids, and the uneven treble just got to me and I realised, they are great headphones but not my pick. A headphone I first heard and did not enjoy was an LCD-2. I thought they were dark, veiled, lacking clarity. But years later, I tried them again, I learnt to appreciate what they were 😊. For a very neutral headphone though, my pick is the Avantone Planar
Ivw been thinking about the avantone, but also curious about many other headphones

Feb 22, 2023 at 1:56 PM Post #834 of 1,214
The 16 ohm version is slightly more veiled than the 45 ohm version. The treble is also slightly less prominent with the 16 ohm version. But I wouldn't say either one lacks clarity per se. I also feel like the lower mid frequencies are more noticeable in the 16 ohm version. The bass quantity seems to be the same in both versions. I wouldn't call one bassier than the other. But yes, the 45 ohm version appears to be somewhat more crisp with more clarity. And that's why I think the consensus here is that the 16 ohm version is darker. I think it can be good or not so good depending on a record or genre. For example, I prefer the 16s with rock or metal or with records where I would like to attenuate that extra treble or hiss. For example, there are a lot of high pitch notes in Yello tracks. In my opinion, the 16 ohm version handles them better unless you want to emphasize the treble even more. But when it comes to vocals, I find the 45 ohm version to be more pleasant. It just seems more resolving. But overall, they both share the same house sound. If I were to choose a single version, I would probably go for the 45 ohm one just because of that extra crispiness when needed.

On another topic, something to be aware of is the inner size of the earpads. The inner holes of the new earpads turned out to be smaller than the ones that I ordered for my 45 ohm version a while ago. I find the older earpads more comfortable because there is simply more room for my ears inside. But maybe it's not an issue for others and my ears are just too big. I messaged Sasha and he explained that the smaller inner size is better for the bass as they are easier to "pump" and that the new person making the earpads is more accurate. But in any case, I prefer the roomier size of the older earpads. So it's probably something to consider when ordering.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back