SASH Deux & Tres; impressive planars from Ukraine
Aug 27, 2022 at 7:04 AM Post #526 of 1,214
I didn't follow this thread closely but which differences do the 45 and 18 Ohm Versions have in sound.

Both is still very low impedance, so I'm not sure what he aimed for with that

Aug 27, 2022 at 8:41 AM Post #527 of 1,214
I didn't follow this thread closely but which differences do the 45 and 18 Ohm Versions have in sound.

I have not heard the 16ohm but I'll quote what Sasha told me

Also Sash Tres available in new version 45 Ohms
Both versions sound good. 45 ohms version gives more micro detailed sound but slightly less bass

Aug 27, 2022 at 9:51 AM Post #529 of 1,214
I love fellow sound lovers
I generally despise all people equally.
What a paradox!

SASH TRES vs ABYSS DIANA V2

Disclaimer
:
I`m not a reviewer, english is not my first language and I rarely do "critical" listening. I mostly enjoy music while reading or just relaxing. I have used Audeze LCD-2.2, LCD-3 and HD600 for most of my listening before these two arrived.
These are my subjective impressions of the two headphones, which I have bought myself. In spite of the HUGE price difference, I`m comparing them as if they where in the same price bracket.

I will focus on sound. Both headphones are built like tanks.

What I typically listen to:
Daughter/EX:RE, Lana Del Rey, Laurel, HÆLOS, iamamiwhoami, ionnalee, Truls Mørk (cellist), Bach, Chopin, Odesza, Ficci etc. + some of my own stuff that I know very well.

Setup:
Laptop, Spotify - Schiit Modi 3 - Atrox V2 solid state class A/B amplifier (designed and made by an norwegian engineer).

Atrox V2, for those (most of you I would imagine) that don`t know it`s power spec:
8 Ohm: 2x20W, 16 Ohm: 2x12,5W, 32 Ohm: 2x7,5W, 50 Ohm: 2x5,3W, 150 Ohm: 2x1,9W, 300 Ohm: 2x1W, 600 Ohm: 2x500mW
Adjustable gain: 1x-3x-10x-24x (0dB-9dB-20dB-28dB).

Used on 3x gain during comparisons.

SASH TRES, 16 OHM version ($450 full package, $350 headphones only), stock configuration with 3 layers of pink felt between the grill and driver, leather pads:

- The Tres needs a full good seal to sound it`s best. Unfortunatly for me, while I have no trouble in getting a good seal, I can hear my pulse thumping while wearing them with the leather pads. Could be what some call a vacuum feeling. The velour pads work better for me in that regard, but the price is a loss of bass (with the velour pads the Tres also sounds quite a bit brighter, but in this comparison I just stick with the leather ones, it seems that most of the Tres owners use these and it is, I think, the standard pads). I have this problem with closed backs that have leather pads as well and some other planars. I really think this is a "personal issue" and not many others have the same problem.

As I wrote in the disclaimer part: I`m comparing the Tres and Diana as they where priced the same, because the Tres are not even close to falling on it`s face against this pricey "rival". If that isn`t in it of itself the highest praise to the Tres, I don`t know what is.

As compared to the Diana V2:
  • The Tres shows what they`re capable of straight out of the box within minutes of listening. I was suprised at how clear and immersive, punchy (for a planar) and balanced they where.
  • Sparkly-ish treble with a bit of energy.
  • Slower, some string instruments can get to much decay.
  • Bigger presentation, less intimate.
  • Liquid mids, on par with LCD-2.2 and very very near LCD-3. A bit more focus in the upper mids (than Diana), that can make them slightly nasal sounding. The soundstage here is also a bit smaller, in contrast to the overall bigger presentation.
  • Darker sounding, almost OG Audeze sound signature, but with less of a dip in the upper mids.
  • Good layering/separation, but not a ton of room between the layers.
  • Weighty sound with great midbass and good subbass.
  • More immersive with a bigger sound that pulls you into the pleasant sound they produce.

ABYSS DIANA V2 ($3495), V2 pads:

The Dianas, in contrast to Tres, does not need seal to get good, hefty bass. In fact, the less seal they have, the more bass it pumps out, but this will degrade mids and treble to my ears.

As compared to the Tres:
  • At first contact, the Diana didn`t give me any wow effect. They sounded a bit plain with a smallish stage and nothing particular stood out or gave me the impression of what they where about. Upon further listening however it became clear how good they are. They keep giving me fatique free listening with a ton of details while being relaxed and immersive. They sound best with a bit of volume.
  • Drier and airier mids, overall more neutral.
  • Very fast with little decay.
  • Midfocused sound signature with great clarity and detail.
  • Comfortable and detailed treble which causes no fatigue. They have a peculiar abilitiy to make even harsh upper mids/low treble smooth out and become comfortable to listen to. I do have a bit of sensitivity in that area, but not with the Dianas. They do give me the impression that they do not loose any details or give an inaccurate representation of the song while doing this.
  • More sub bass and a speaker-like presentation in the lower registers, but less midbass.
  • Easier to pick out placement of instruments.
  • Great separation, absolute opposite of congested sound. While playing music, the Diana sounds like it`s got a ton of room in between the layers from top to bottom.
  • More refined and effortless.
  • I can usually pick up new details I haven`t heard in songs I know intimately, even in my own songs.

Summary:
The biggest difference between these headphones are, of course, the price. While I think the Tres are the absolute best bang for your buck in the headphone world, the Dianas are way over in the diminishing return side in comparison.

The Diana`s signature is "mature" and neutral with exceptional detail and a refined presentation, while the Tres is more fun sounding, liquid and darker.
Both deliver fatigue free listening and are really great headphones that I truly enjoy listening to and would recomend in a heartbeat.
It looks like the Diana V2 is much smaller and lighter. Is it more comfortable?

I have not heard the 16ohm but I'll quote what Sasha told me
Also Sash Tres available in new version 45 Ohms
Both versions sound good. 45 ohms version gives more micro detailed sound but slightly less bass
This was my dilemma. On one hand, I wanted more bass. On the other hand, I wanted more details. I went with the latter.

Aug 27, 2022 at 10:16 AM Post #530 of 1,214
It looks like the Diana V2 is much smaller and lighter. Is it more comfortable?
Yes it is, way smaller. I find the Dianas pretty comfortable, except for a slight hotspot on my dome after some hours. I have a pad on the way. The Tres are heavier, but heavy headphones never bother me, so long as the weight are distributed, which the Tres does pretty well. The leather headband are pretty thick and will conform after a bit of use.

Aug 27, 2022 at 7:27 PM Post #532 of 1,214
Gave my business to Sasha as last purchase for this month. I bought blue color, 16 ohm drivers, open back and solid leather pads.

This is my 3rd Tres. All bought from Sasha. I sold the others but this one is staying.
Sold the other two for summit Fi gear which was a waste.

Aug 28, 2022 at 3:35 AM Post #533 of 1,214

The 16ohm is more V shaped, it has more low end impact and more sparkly treble. The low end lingers a little more making it sound fuller/boomier compared to the 45 ohm. It also is a fair bit easier to drive and can be powered by a smart phone or laptop though an amp is always recommended.

The 45 ohm version has more extension on both ends and is closer to a slightly bright neutral tuning. The low end focuses on more quality rather than quanity so transients is faster compared to the 16ohm version. The 45 ohm version is overall smoother sounding and mids a more forward while treble is a bit more smoother. Overall detail and clarity is the focus here while also imaging is more precise and soundstage is larger. The 45 ohm version requires more power to shine and scales better with more powerful amps.

Aug 29, 2022 at 2:25 AM Post #534 of 1,214
Anyone has any comment on the long term reliability of the headphones?

Asking because my Verum headphones developed cable connectivity issues just by sitting unused in my cupboard. My country's local distributor told me they have to stop carrying the Verum because the failure return rate was more than 10%.

Aug 29, 2022 at 3:21 AM Post #535 of 1,214

Asking because my Verum headphones developed cable connectivity issues just by sitting unused in my cupboard. My country's local distributor told me they have to stop carrying the Verum because the failure return rate was more than 10%.
I haven't had any issues, I have met some one who has had the sash deux for 2-3 years, only complaint has been with cable having some kinks after being used fairly heavily.
I also heard about verum having some issues and was a bit skeptical, but after seeing sasha's builds in person, I chose the sash tres over the verum (the verum are nice but they have a bit too many thin moving metal parts vs sash simple thick high density plastic ) I am not saying verum is bad but the difference would be like sennheiser quality vs hifiman quality (hifiman is known for there qc issues)

Aug 29, 2022 at 3:25 AM Post #536 of 1,214

Got mine since early 2020. Replaced the headband, glued on audeze pad, replaced the headstrap, swapped to current style leather pads and tried the closed-back cups numerous times. Still working and sounding best it ever could.
The build on this headphone is no joke.

Aug 29, 2022 at 3:53 AM Post #537 of 1,214
Finally getting to spend some time with the Tres and I must say that I am still just scratching the surface and
decided to pull out the rest of my cans for comparison. Especially since two of the three are either hand made or custom tuned by an aftermarket vendor and are more or less in the same price bracket. I can definitely say that out of the bunch, the Tres are the most balanced sounding along with the Argon T60s. The Hyland Jupiter's are the most pad dependent of the bunch but with the current ZMF suede pads, they would be the bass cannon. ZMFs have the most detail but at the cost of some bass and treble fatigue. If anyone is interested, I could write up a bit more on the comparison between them.

Attachments

• IMG_20220829_104953.jpg
    IMG_20220829_104953.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 0
Aug 29, 2022 at 7:32 AM Post #538 of 1,214
I haven't had any issues, I have met some one who has had the sash deux for 2-3 years, only complaint has been with cable having some kinks after being used fairly heavily.
I also heard about verum having some issues and was a bit skeptical, but after seeing sasha's builds in person, I chose the sash tres over the verum (the verum are nice but they have a bit too many thin moving metal parts vs sash simple thick high density plastic ) I am not saying verum is bad but the difference would be like sennheiser quality vs hifiman quality (hifiman is known for there qc issues)
Typical connection issue for a wire breaking at the jack should not occur if solder correctly. Most likely issue to the driver more likely. If you can test a different cable or reverse left and right would be best if you haven't already. If it's the driver has to go back.

Aug 29, 2022 at 11:24 AM Post #539 of 1,214
Finally getting to spend some time with the Tres and I must say that I am still just scratching the surface and
decided to pull out the rest of my cans for comparison. Especially since two of the three are either hand made or custom tuned by an aftermarket vendor and are more or less in the same price bracket. I can definitely say that out of the bunch, the Tres are the most balanced sounding along with the Argon T60s. The Hyland Jupiter's are the most pad dependent of the bunch but with the current ZMF suede pads, they would be the bass cannon. ZMFs have the most detail but at the cost of some bass and treble fatigue. If anyone is interested, I could write up a bit more on the comparison between them.
I'm interested in comparison between Tres and Hyland Jupiter, please

Aug 29, 2022 at 1:26 PM Post #540 of 1,214
Typical connection issue for a wire breaking at the jack should not occur if solder correctly. Most likely issue to the driver more likely. If you can test a different cable or reverse left and right would be best if you haven't already. If it's the driver has to go back.
The thing is I do not know if it's the drivers that have issues, or is it the female sockets on the headphones that have issues. Testing a different cable and reversing left and right will not reveal a difference between the two potential problems.
I agree with you that wires breaking free at the socket or the driver side is unlikely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back