SASH Deux & Tres; impressive planars from Ukraine
Aug 26, 2022 at 12:22 PM Post #511 of 1,218
Just did 8 hours of listening. They just keep getting better and better the more you get to know them. But now I really need a break 😅, soo much sound has been blasted into my ears. Truly the presentation on the Tres is unique. It's smooth, soft yet in your face and intense. The amount of air and depth in music while still being crystal clear, highly detailed and so amazingly layered and separated. It's alot for your mind to take in sometimes.....

Aug 26, 2022 at 2:06 PM Post #512 of 1,218
20220821_151034.jpg
I would like to share my thoughts and impressions about the Sash Tres and my experience with it so far.

Intro
Some time ago, I decided to get a planar magnetic headphone. I was not ready to invest into anything very expensive like the Meze Elite or HiFiMan Susvara. I wanted something more affordable and decent at the same time. Several months ago, I came across the Sash Tres. After reading a few reviews about it, I learned it was custom made by one person from Kharkiv, Ukraine. Just a side note, Kharkiv is currently one of the major Ukrainian cities that are heavily attacked by the Russian invaders. Being born in Ukraine myself, the current situation is really painful to acknowledge. With the Sash Tres, I saw a good opportunity not only to support a Ukrainian made product, but also get a quality custom made planar magnetic headphone for an affordable price. So I decided to give it a shot.

First Contact
I contacted Aleksandr (AKA Sasha) on Facebook and he immediately got back to me. We didn't have a language barrier and Sasha would answer all my questions. He also suggested to speak on the phone and we spoke for more than an hour. Sasha passionately talked about his headphone technology and what could be customized and ordered. I got under the impression that sound quality was his main priority without any compromises. For example, when talking about the weight of the headphone, he explained that it was mainly due to the double-sided magnet system, and he wouldn't want to go with a single-ended system because he believes it would introduce unwanted distortions as the diaphragm would be controlled only on one side and cause more fluctuations as a result. Just a side note, not being an expert in this field, I recently asked about it in the Dan Clark Stealth thread. But no one confirmed this claim, and I got an answer that there is no evidence that proves this.

I was given a lot of information including the following specs.

- Planar magnetic drivers for better dynamics and frequency response
- Premium leather for style and durability
- Large film diaphragms
- Double-sided magnetic structure
- Style: Over-ear, open-back, сlosed-back
- Transducer type: Planar magnetic
- Magnetic structure: Proprietary magnet array
- Magnet type: Neodymium N52
- Transducer size: 100 mm
- Maximum power handling: 5W RMS
- Maximum SPL: >130dB
- Frequency response: 10Hz – 20kHz - THD: 0.1% 100dB
- Impedance: 16 ohms / 45 ohms
- Sensitivity: 96dB/1mw (at Drum Reference Point) / 93dB/1mw

It's worth noting, oak is the only kind of wood Sasha currently works with.
Based on what I read on the forum and my conversation with Sasha, the 16 ohm version doesn't necessarily need an amp. It has more bass and it is somewhat darker/warmer than the 45 ohm version. The 45 ohm version, on the other hand, is more detailed and has a more even frequency response. It leans more to the brighter side focusing more on the bass accuracy rather than quantity. It also requires an amp to drive it.

Custom Order
For my custom order, I decided that detailed sound was my priority and I went with the 45 ohm version with an exclusive blue color, a pair of closed cups, and an additional pair of hybrid leather earpads with a velour surface that touches the face. I decided not to get the storage box for several reasons. It would add up to the total price. It would slow down the order as it would require more time to build. It would be more expensive to ship. It would take longer to ship. And I thought I didn't really need the box.
I paid a $100 deposit to proceed with the order. It took a little more than a month to build the headphone. Throughout the whole build period, Sasha would send me pictures and videos showing the work progress and answer my numerous questions.

Payment Experience
I have to admit, the payment experience could be better. Unfortunately, Wise is currently the only payment system that works for Sasha. I hadn't had any experience using Wise before and I didn't like it at all. Wise requires to provide a lot of personal information to be able to use it. In addition, it requires to take pictures of your ID and a selfie photo for comparison. It also charges transaction fees. The fee amount depends on the payment method. And it is the highest if you choose to pay with a credit card. It declined my debit card (probably because of my bank protection) and I wouldn't know it until a day later. It is normal for Wise transactions to take up to 24 hours. I didn't want to bother connecting Wise to my bank account because I didn't feel comfortable about it. I also learned it would take time to set up a bank account connection or I would have to share my bank info with some other third parties for a "faster" connection. So I was left with the credit card option that had a ridiculous high "convenience" fee. Later, I discovered my bank would charge me an additional fee for each credit card transaction. I suspect my bank charged me for paying in another currency.

Speaking of another currency, I think Sasha should reconsider his pricing policy. If the asking price is in USD, the customer should be expected to pay in USD, and not in PLN or UAH covering the local exchange rate so that the receiving party gets the asking price amount. I think it would be fair if the asking price included the exchange rate. Otherwise, the asking price doesn't match the actual payment amount and the customer pays more than they would expect. With all the fees and the exchange rate difference, I payed about $80 more than the asking price.

Shipping
Shipping from Kharkiv to New York took only 8 days. This was blazing fast considering the war situation in Ukraine. The package was well packed. It came with useful accessories like an additional two sets of rings for attaching other earpads and two hex keys for mounting the closed cups and adjusting the headband.

Design, Build, and Nitpicks
20220825_170444.jpg
20220825_165941.jpg
20220825_165840 (1).jpg
It does feel like the headphone was built like a tank. The custom blue color turned out to be really good, better than I expected. It looks even better in person. I like how it shines under the day light.

The Sash Tres signature writing was overlooked. Not a big deal, but I thought it was funny that Sasha forgot about it. He said he was so impressed with the new color that he overlooked the signature writing.

My other nitpick is the non symmetrical grills. If the soft cloth was attached on the other side of one of the grills, they would be symmetrical. I asked Sasha about it and he said he didn't design them with the symmetry in mind. But I think the symmetry would look better and it would be simple to do.

I thought the clamping force was too much for me. So I immediately adjusted the headband and extended it on both sides to reduce the clamping force. Although it's still fairly strong, it's a lot more tolerable now.

As expected, it's not a light headphone. But thanks to the leather strap, the weight is well distributed. The earpads are deep and angled, so my ears don't touch the drivers. Despite the weight and size, I think it is a comfortable headphone.

It is nice to have the ability to tighten the rods so they don't change their positions accidentally. I do not recommend unscrewing the locking tips and pulling out the rods completely. There is a small bearing ball and some kind of plastic spring inside. It may be a challenge to put it all back. That part is not fool-proof.

The earpads are easy to swap. I can simply turn them counter clockwise to take them off.

Continuing to nitpick, the headband has plastic elements with sharp corners and edges. But this is not a huge deal.

The cable is fine considering the price. It contains 12 0.2mm insulated wires made from high quality old Soviet copper. The cable is not braided on purpose to avoid the electromagnetic induction effect as explained by Sasha. The cable is somewhat microphonic and I don't have other cables with the mini XLR connectors to compare with.

I think the hybrid earpads are a good option to have. I don't think they significantly (if at all) change the sound character. Maybe there are a bit less bassy. But they could be more comfortable and less sweaty than the fully leather earpads for long listening sessions.

Sound
The 45 ohm version is definitely not for bassheads. In comparison, the Sennheiser HD599 produces more noticeable bass. Of course it is a different story as to what kind of bass it is. I would say it's muddy compared to the Sash Tres where it appears more refined and not boomy. But I would definitely not mind if it had more bass quantity. Sometimes I feel like I want a boost in the bass area. Overall, I think the sound clarity and resolution is where the Sash Tres shines. The sound is very crisp and detailed. These are the qualities I like. But I wouldn't want them at the cost of any harsh treble peaks and piercing highs which I am sensitive to. And I think the Sash Tres delivers a smooth sound across all frequencies. The musical instruments sound very distinctly and it takes little effort to locate them in space. The sense of space is very good.

I am using the Violectric V550, and it has no problem driving my Sash Tres.

Closed Cups
I tried the closed cups and didn't like how they impacted the sound. I thought they degraded it by killing the mids and soundstage. They do provide a fair amount of sound isolation. But I probably won't be using them.

Conclusion
I think the Sash Tres is a great custom made headphone for an adequate price. At the end, it comes down to a question: will I be using and enjoying it? And the answer is definitely yes. Sure, there are some areas that could be improved. For example, the plastic elements of the headband could be more premium like. I would also recommend to explore other more customer friendly payment solutions than Wise. In terms of sound, I really like the crispness, openness, and accuracy of the sound. I would probably want more bass quantity, but without sacrificing anything. And the closed cups didn't work out for me. Overall, I am satisfied with the headphone performance and the sound character and tonality. Comfort wise, it's also great despite it being relatively hefty and weighty. Great job! :clap:

Sasha told me he has thoughts about a new model in the future and I look forward to it.

Thank you for posting this review! I placed an order with Verum Audio for a pair of headphones to support a Ukrainian company as well. I should have them within the next week or so as they shipped out on Tuesday. After reading your review, I feel as though I may need to look into placing an order with Sasha as well. Just to support Ukraine you know and definitely not just because they look like a gorgeous pair of headphones I'd like to have lol!

Seriously though, thanks again for sharing your experience and thanks for supporting a Ukrainian business as well. Goodness knows they can use all the support they can get.

Long live Ukraine and long live good headphones!

Aug 26, 2022 at 3:08 PM Post #516 of 1,218
I'm still working on my own impressions of the Sash Tres 45ohm. I wanted them to be closed back, because I already have Audeze LCD-X (2021 revision). I can tell you with the open back grills, the Tres, at least on first listen, does not make me want to sell my LCD-X...they don't have quite the same magic. But I don't really think that's a fair expectation either, given the price difference. The Tres does not give me quite the same layered, 3D presentation that I love so much about the LCD-X.

I'm listening with the closed cups on right now, after adding some anti-slip mat material (similar to ZMF and previous posts earlier in this thread) along with layering the felt (5x pieces per cup) provided in the box in an overlapped fashion. I haven't glued in the anti-slip mat to the cups yet to allow for continued experimentation. I will say in this configuration that the Tres strikes me as fairly tonally correct (although a bit hot in the highs) with the leather pads. I tried the closed cups with the velour pads and it sounded pretty bad in this setup. But overall, they sound pretty good for closed-back headphones, with a decent sense of space. They are not basshead headphones with the closed cups.

They're also quite heavy with the closed cups. I measured them @ 634g, which is heavier than the LCD-X. And they look a bit absurd on my head. Otherwise, they strike me as pretty comfortable.

Aug 26, 2022 at 6:47 PM Post #518 of 1,218
I think my previous post came off a bit more negatively than I intended. I will say that the closed-back configuration doesn't...well, it doesn't sound like a closed-back, at least compared to others I've heard. The most direct comparison I can make is my HyperX Cloud Orbits, which are Audeze-made closed-back planars (albeit with a smaller driver) and these sound much, much better than those. It still feels fairly spacious with good instrument separation and detail, and as I give them more listening time and letting my brain adjust to them (not going to debate this, but headphone burn-in is a myth) I'm enjoying them more and more.

Aug 26, 2022 at 8:43 PM Post #519 of 1,218
😵‍💫😲 you know when you try something that is very expensive.... and it'll hurt your wallet but now you are seriously considering it..... Well I just gave a Feliks Audio Envy a listen with the Tres..... Yep I can confirm, the Tres scale with more power and quality gear by a lot. They love power. My SMSL SH-9 sounds very nice but I use the Tres with my Garage 1217 project ember. And I really love the change in soundstage, and overall improvement in the magic the Tres has. But holly f@ck. The jump to the Feliks just opened the Tres up. Time to do some serious research on amps. It may be time for an upgrade 😁

Aug 26, 2022 at 9:28 PM Post #520 of 1,218
😵‍💫😲 you know when you try something that is very expensive.... and it'll hurt your wallet but now you are seriously considering it..... Well I just gave a Feliks Audio Envy a listen with the Tres..... Yep I can confirm, the Tres scale with more power and quality gear by a lot. They love power. My SMSL SH-9 sounds very nice but I use the Tres with my Garage 1217 project ember. And I really love the change in soundstage, and overall improvement in the magic the Tres has. But holly f@ck. The jump to the Feliks just opened the Tres up. Time to do some serious research on amps. It may be time for an upgrade 😁
One would hope an $8K tube amp would sound amazing lol

Aug 26, 2022 at 11:35 PM Post #522 of 1,218
My question, Why?

I love fellow sound lovers (I wouldn't dare call anyone an audiophile).

I'd rather give a stoplight screen washer $100 than send money into the Ukraine.

It's a strange world we live in.

Aug 26, 2022 at 11:42 PM Post #523 of 1,218
20220821_151034.jpg
I would like to share my thoughts and impressions about the Sash Tres and my experience with it so far.

Intro
Some time ago, I decided to get a planar magnetic headphone. I was not ready to invest into anything very expensive like the Meze Elite or HiFiMan Susvara. I wanted something more affordable and decent at the same time. Several months ago, I came across the Sash Tres. After reading a few reviews about it, I learned it was custom made by one person from Kharkiv, Ukraine. Just a side note, Kharkiv is currently one of the major Ukrainian cities that are heavily attacked by the Russian invaders. Being born in Ukraine myself, the current situation is really painful to acknowledge. With the Sash Tres, I saw a good opportunity not only to support a Ukrainian made product, but also get a quality custom made planar magnetic headphone for an affordable price. So I decided to give it a shot.

First Contact
I contacted Aleksandr (AKA Sasha) on Facebook and he immediately got back to me. We didn't have a language barrier and Sasha would answer all my questions. He also suggested to speak on the phone and we spoke for more than an hour. Sasha passionately talked about his headphone technology and what could be customized and ordered. I got under the impression that sound quality was his main priority without any compromises. For example, when talking about the weight of the headphone, he explained that it was mainly due to the double-sided magnet system, and he wouldn't want to go with a single-ended system because he believes it would introduce unwanted distortions as the diaphragm would be controlled only on one side and cause more fluctuations as a result. Just a side note, not being an expert in this field, I recently asked about it in the Dan Clark Stealth thread. But no one confirmed this claim, and I got an answer that there is no evidence that proves this.

I was given a lot of information including the following specs.

- Planar magnetic drivers for better dynamics and frequency response
- Premium leather for style and durability
- Large film diaphragms
- Double-sided magnetic structure
- Style: Over-ear, open-back, сlosed-back
- Transducer type: Planar magnetic
- Magnetic structure: Proprietary magnet array
- Magnet type: Neodymium N52
- Transducer size: 100 mm
- Maximum power handling: 5W RMS
- Maximum SPL: >130dB
- Frequency response: 10Hz – 20kHz - THD: 0.1% 100dB
- Impedance: 16 ohms / 45 ohms
- Sensitivity: 96dB/1mw (at Drum Reference Point) / 93dB/1mw

It's worth noting, oak is the only kind of wood Sasha currently works with.
Based on what I read on the forum and my conversation with Sasha, the 16 ohm version doesn't necessarily need an amp. It has more bass and it is somewhat darker/warmer than the 45 ohm version. The 45 ohm version, on the other hand, is more detailed and has a more even frequency response. It leans more to the brighter side focusing more on the bass accuracy rather than quantity. It also requires an amp to drive it.

Custom Order
For my custom order, I decided that detailed sound was my priority and I went with the 45 ohm version with an exclusive blue color, a pair of closed cups, and an additional pair of hybrid leather earpads with a velour surface that touches the face. I decided not to get the storage box for several reasons. It would add up to the total price. It would slow down the order as it would require more time to build. It would be more expensive to ship. It would take longer to ship. And I thought I didn't really need the box.
I paid a $100 deposit to proceed with the order. It took a little more than a month to build the headphone. Throughout the whole build period, Sasha would send me pictures and videos showing the work progress and answer my numerous questions.

Payment Experience
I have to admit, the payment experience could be better. Unfortunately, Wise is currently the only payment system that works for Sasha. I hadn't had any experience using Wise before and I didn't like it at all. Wise requires to provide a lot of personal information to be able to use it. In addition, it requires to take pictures of your ID and a selfie photo for comparison. It also charges transaction fees. The fee amount depends on the payment method. And it is the highest if you choose to pay with a credit card. It declined my debit card (probably because of my bank protection) and I wouldn't know it until a day later. It is normal for Wise transactions to take up to 24 hours. I didn't want to bother connecting Wise to my bank account because I didn't feel comfortable about it. I also learned it would take time to set up a bank account connection or I would have to share my bank info with some other third parties for a "faster" connection. So I was left with the credit card option that had a ridiculous high "convenience" fee. Later, I discovered my bank would charge me an additional fee for each credit card transaction. I suspect my bank charged me for paying in another currency.

Speaking of another currency, I think Sasha should reconsider his pricing policy. If the asking price is in USD, the customer should be expected to pay in USD, and not in PLN or UAH covering the local exchange rate so that the receiving party gets the asking price amount. I think it would be fair if the asking price included the exchange rate. Otherwise, the asking price doesn't match the actual payment amount and the customer pays more than they would expect. With all the fees and the exchange rate difference, I payed about $80 more than the asking price.

Shipping
Shipping from Kharkiv to New York took only 8 days. This was blazing fast considering the war situation in Ukraine. The package was well packed. It came with useful accessories like an additional two sets of rings for attaching other earpads and two hex keys for mounting the closed cups and adjusting the headband.

Design, Build, and Nitpicks
20220825_170444.jpg
20220825_165941.jpg
20220825_165840 (1).jpg
It does feel like the headphone was built like a tank. The custom blue color turned out to be really good, better than I expected. It looks even better in person. I like how it shines under the day light.

The Sash Tres signature writing was overlooked. Not a big deal, but I thought it was funny that Sasha forgot about it. He said he was so impressed with the new color that he overlooked the signature writing.

My other nitpick is the non symmetrical grills. If the soft cloth was attached on the other side of one of the grills, they would be symmetrical. I asked Sasha about it and he said he didn't design them with the symmetry in mind. But I think the symmetry would look better and it would be simple to do.

I thought the clamping force was too much for me. So I immediately adjusted the headband and extended it on both sides to reduce the clamping force. Although it's still fairly strong, it's a lot more tolerable now.

As expected, it's not a light headphone. But thanks to the leather strap, the weight is well distributed. The earpads are deep and angled, so my ears don't touch the drivers. Despite the weight and size, I think it is a comfortable headphone.

It is nice to have the ability to tighten the rods so they don't change their positions accidentally. I do not recommend unscrewing the locking tips and pulling out the rods completely. There is a small bearing ball and some kind of plastic spring inside. It may be a challenge to put it all back. That part is not fool-proof.

The earpads are easy to swap. I can simply turn them counter clockwise to take them off.

Continuing to nitpick, the headband has plastic elements with sharp corners and edges. But this is not a huge deal.

The cable is fine considering the price. It contains 12 0.2mm insulated wires made from high quality old Soviet copper. The cable is not braided on purpose to avoid the electromagnetic induction effect as explained by Sasha. The cable is somewhat microphonic and I don't have other cables with the mini XLR connectors to compare with.

I think the hybrid earpads are a good option to have. I don't think they significantly (if at all) change the sound character. Maybe there are a bit less bassy. But they could be more comfortable and less sweaty than the fully leather earpads for long listening sessions.

Sound
The 45 ohm version is definitely not for bassheads. In comparison, the Sennheiser HD599 produces more noticeable bass. Of course it is a different story as to what kind of bass it is. I would say it's muddy compared to the Sash Tres where it appears more refined and not boomy. But I would definitely not mind if it had more bass quantity. Sometimes I feel like I want a boost in the bass area. Overall, I think the sound clarity and resolution is where the Sash Tres shines. The sound is very crisp and detailed. These are the qualities I like. But I wouldn't want them at the cost of any harsh treble peaks and piercing highs which I am sensitive to. And I think the Sash Tres delivers a smooth sound across all frequencies. The musical instruments sound very distinctly and it takes little effort to locate them in space. The sense of space is very good.

I am using the Violectric V550, and it has no problem driving my Sash Tres.

Closed Cups
I tried the closed cups and didn't like how they impacted the sound. I thought they degraded it by killing the mids and soundstage. They do provide a fair amount of sound isolation. But I probably won't be using them.

Conclusion
I think the Sash Tres is a great custom made headphone for an adequate price. At the end, it comes down to a question: will I be using and enjoying it? And the answer is definitely yes. Sure, there are some areas that could be improved. For example, the plastic elements of the headband could be more premium like. I would also recommend to explore other more customer friendly payment solutions than Wise. In terms of sound, I really like the crispness, openness, and accuracy of the sound. I would probably want more bass quantity, but without sacrificing anything. And the closed cups didn't work out for me. Overall, I am satisfied with the headphone performance and the sound character and tonality. Comfort wise, it's also great despite it being relatively hefty and weighty. Great job! :clap:

Sasha told me he has thoughts about a new model in the future and I look forward to it.
That's sick looking headphone. Imagine that colour with silver grils :astonished:
Anyway I'm not sure how I found this topic, but I might be interested in getting one of those.

Aug 27, 2022 at 5:57 AM Post #524 of 1,218
SASH TRES vs ABYSS DIANA V2

Disclaimer
:
I`m not a reviewer, english is not my first language and I rarely do "critical" listening. I mostly enjoy music while reading or just relaxing. I have used Audeze LCD-2.2, LCD-3 and HD600 for most of my listening before these two arrived.
These are my subjective impressions of the two headphones, which I have bought myself. In spite of the HUGE price difference, I`m comparing them as if they where in the same price bracket.

I will focus on sound. Both headphones are built like tanks.

What I typically listen to:
Daughter/EX:RE, Lana Del Rey, Laurel, HÆLOS, iamamiwhoami, ionnalee, Truls Mørk (cellist), Bach, Chopin, Odesza, Ficci etc. + some of my own stuff that I know very well.

Setup:
Laptop, Spotify - Schiit Modi 3 - Atrox V2 solid state class A/B amplifier (designed and made by an norwegian engineer).

Atrox V2, for those (most of you I would imagine) that don`t know it`s power spec:
8 Ohm: 2x20W, 16 Ohm: 2x12,5W, 32 Ohm: 2x7,5W, 50 Ohm: 2x5,3W, 150 Ohm: 2x1,9W, 300 Ohm: 2x1W, 600 Ohm: 2x500mW
Adjustable gain: 1x-3x-10x-24x (0dB-9dB-20dB-28dB).

Used on 3x gain during comparisons.

SASH TRES, 16 OHM version ($450 full package, $350 headphones only), stock configuration with 3 layers of pink felt between the grill and driver, leather pads:

- The Tres needs a full good seal to sound it`s best. Unfortunatly for me, while I have no trouble in getting a good seal, I can hear my pulse thumping while wearing them with the leather pads. Could be what some call a vacuum feeling. The velour pads work better for me in that regard, but the price is a loss of bass (with the velour pads the Tres also sounds quite a bit brighter, but in this comparison I just stick with the leather ones, it seems that most of the Tres owners use these and it is, I think, the standard pads). I have this problem with closed backs that have leather pads as well and some other planars. I really think this is a "personal issue" and not many others have the same problem.

As I wrote in the disclaimer part: I`m comparing the Tres and Diana as they where priced the same, because the Tres are not even close to falling on it`s face against this pricey "rival". If that isn`t in it of itself the highest praise to the Tres, I don`t know what is.

As compared to the Diana V2:
  • The Tres shows what they`re capable of straight out of the box within minutes of listening. I was suprised at how clear and immersive, punchy (for a planar) and balanced they where.
  • Sparkly-ish treble with a bit of energy.
  • Slower, some string instruments can get to much decay.
  • Bigger presentation, less intimate.
  • Liquid mids, on par with LCD-2.2 and very very near LCD-3. A bit more focus in the upper mids (than Diana), that can make them slightly nasal sounding. The soundstage here is also a bit smaller, in contrast to the overall bigger presentation.
  • Darker sounding, almost OG Audeze sound signature, but with less of a dip in the upper mids.
  • Good layering/separation, but not a ton of room between the layers.
  • Weighty sound with great midbass and good subbass.
  • More immersive with a bigger sound that pulls you into the pleasant sound they produce.

ABYSS DIANA V2 ($3495), V2 pads:

The Dianas, in contrast to Tres, does not need seal to get good, hefty bass. In fact, the less seal they have, the more bass it pumps out, but this will degrade mids and treble to my ears.

As compared to the Tres:
  • At first contact, the Diana didn`t give me any wow effect. They sounded a bit plain with a smallish stage and nothing particular stood out or gave me the impression of what they where about. Upon further listening however it became clear how good they are. They keep giving me fatique free listening with a ton of details while being relaxed and immersive. They sound best with a bit of volume.
  • Drier and airier mids, overall more neutral.
  • Very fast with little decay.
  • Midfocused sound signature with great clarity and detail.
  • Comfortable and detailed treble which causes no fatigue. They have a peculiar abilitiy to make even harsh upper mids/low treble smooth out and become comfortable to listen to. I do have a bit of sensitivity in that area, but not with the Dianas. They do give me the impression that they do not loose any details or give an inaccurate representation of the song while doing this.
  • More sub bass and a speaker-like presentation in the lower registers, but less midbass.
  • Easier to pick out placement of instruments.
  • Great separation, absolute opposite of congested sound. While playing music, the Diana sounds like it`s got a ton of room in between the layers from top to bottom.
  • More refined and effortless.
  • I can usually pick up new details I haven`t heard in songs I know intimately, even in my own songs.

Summary:
The biggest difference between these headphones are, of course, the price. While I think the Tres are the absolute best bang for your buck in the headphone world, the Dianas are way over in the diminishing return side in comparison.

The Diana`s signature is "mature" and neutral with exceptional detail and a refined presentation, while the Tres is more fun sounding, liquid and darker.
Both deliver fatigue free listening and are really great headphones that I truly enjoy listening to and would recomend in a heartbeat.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Aug 27, 2022 at 6:18 AM Post #525 of 1,218
SASH TRES vs ABYSS DIANA V2

Disclaimer
:
I`m not a reviewer, english is not my first language and I rarely do "critical" listening. I mostly enjoy music while reading or just relaxing. I have used Audeze LCD-2.2, LCD-3 and HD600 for most of my listening before these two arrived.
These are my subjective impressions of the two headphones, which I have bought myself. In spite of the HUGE price difference, I`m comparing them as if they where in the same price bracket.

I will focus on sound. Both headphones are built like tanks.

What I typically listen to:
Daughter/EX:RE, Lana Del Rey, Laurel, HÆLOS, iamamiwhoami, ionnalee, Truls Mørk (cellist), Bach, Chopin, Odesza, Ficci etc. + some of my own stuff that I know very well.

Setup:
Laptop, Spotify - Schiit Modi 3 - Atrox V2 solid state class A/B amplifier (designed and made by an norwegian engineer).

Atrox V2, for those (most of you I would imagine) that don`t know it`s power spec:
8 Ohm: 2x20W, 16 Ohm: 2x12,5W, 32 Ohm: 2x7,5W, 50 Ohm: 2x5,3W, 150 Ohm: 2x1,9W, 300 Ohm: 2x1W, 600 Ohm: 2x500mW
Adjustable gain: 1x-3x-10x-24x (0dB-9dB-20dB-28dB).

Used on 3x gain during comparisons.

SASH TRES, 16 OHM version ($450 full package, $350 headphones only), stock configuration with 3 layers of pink felt between the grill and driver, leather pads:

- The Tres needs a full good seal to sound it`s best. Unfortunatly for me, while I have no trouble in getting a good seal, I can hear my pulse thumping while wearing them with the leather pads. Could be what some call a vacuum feeling. The velour pads work better for me in that regard, but the price is a loss of bass (with the velour pads the Tres also sounds quite a bit brighter, but in this comparison I just stick with the leather ones, it seems that most of the Tres owners use these and it is, I think, the standard pads). I have this problem with closed backs that have leather pads as well and some other planars. I really think this is a "personal issue" and not many others have the same problem.

As I wrote in the disclaimer part: I`m comparing the Tres and Diana as they where priced the same, because the Tres are not even close to falling on it`s face against this pricey "rival". If that isn`t in it of itself the highest praise to the Tres, I don`t know what is.

As compared to the Diana V2:
  • The Tres shows what they`re capable of straight out of the box within minutes of listening. I was suprised at how clear and immersive, punchy (for a planar) and balanced they where.
  • Sparkly-ish treble with a bit of energy.
  • Slower, some string instruments can get to much decay.
  • Bigger presentation, less intimate.
  • Liquid mids, on par with LCD-2.2 and very very near LCD-3. A bit more focus in the upper mids (than Diana), that can make them slightly nasal sounding. The soundstage here is also a bit smaller, in contrast to the overall bigger presentation.
  • Darker sounding, almost OG Audeze sound signature, but with less of a dip in the upper mids.
  • Good layering/separation, but not a ton of room between the layers.
  • Weighty sound with great midbass and good subbass.
  • More immersive with a bigger sound that pulls you into the pleasant sound they produce.

ABYSS DIANA V2 ($3495), V2 pads:

The Dianas, in contrast to Tres, does not need seal to get good, hefty bass. In fact, the less seal they have, the more bass it pumps out, but this will degrade mids and treble to my ears.

As compared to the Tres:
  • At first contact, the Diana didn`t give me any wow effect. They sounded a bit plain with a smallish stage and nothing particular stood out or gave me the impression of what they where about. Upon further listening however it became clear how good they are. They keep giving me fatique free listening with a ton of details while being relaxed and immersive. They sound best with a bit of volume.
  • Drier and airier mids, overall more neutral.
  • Very fast with little decay.
  • Midfocused sound signature with great clarity and detail.
  • Comfortable and detailed treble which causes no fatigue. They have a peculiar abilitiy to make even harsh upper mids/low treble smooth out and become comfortable to listen to. I do have a bit of sensitivity in that area, but not with the Dianas. They do give me the impression that they do not loose any details or give an inaccurate representation of the song while doing this.
  • More sub bass and a speaker-like presentation in the lower registers, but less midbass.
  • Easier to pick out placement of instruments.
  • Great separation, absolute opposite of congested sound. While playing music, the Diana sounds like it`s got a ton of room in between the layers from top to bottom.
  • More refined and effortless.
  • I can usually pick up new details I haven`t heard in songs I know intimately, even in my own songs.

Summary:
The biggest difference between these headphones are, of course, the price. While I think the Tres are the absolute best bang for your buck in the headphone world, the Dianas are way over in the diminishing return side in comparison.

The Diana`s signature is "mature" and neutral with exceptional detail and a refined presentation, while the Tres is more fun sounding, liquid and darker.
Both deliver fatigue free listening and are really great headphones that I truly enjoy listening to and would recomend in a heartbeat.
Great comparison. It's amazing how the Tres can compete with a headphone in the 3000 USD ( around 6000 Aud) range and trade heavy blows. I absolutely love the 45 ohm version and do feel it takes things a step further. But what interests me most now is what further improvements can Sasha bring to his next headphone 😊. Overall, I feel both versions of the Tres bring serious value into the headphone world. And it shows spending more doesn't mean better.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back