SASH Deux & Tres; impressive planars from Ukraine
Jul 23, 2023 at 10:10 AM Post #961 of 1,214
Great review. Interesting new technology and design. Do you know if there are any plans for a lighter version headphone?
The fact is that the weight of the headphones is directly related to the magnets used in them, and the power of these magnets and their weight directly affect the quality and quantity of bass.
That is, if you want lightweight planar headphones, you choose Hifimans (Arya for example), which have a thin membrans and weak magnets, but low weight and in which there is very little bass. If you want high-quality headphones with powerful deep bass, you choose Sash Tres SE.
As I noted in my review, the overall presentation of musical material of these headphones (45Ohm and Tres SE 25Ohm) is very close at mid and high frequencies, the frequency response will be about the same. If we talk about the bass component, then depending on the frequency, Sash Tres SE will provide ~ 2-3 dB more bass.

On the web site, it says "Impedance: 14/25 ohms". Are there two different versions?
As far as I know, Alexander originally planned to make second edition headphones in two versions of 14 and 25 ohms, I don’t know how it will be in the end.

What about the bass quantity? Is it on the same level? It would be nice to see a frequency response comparison graph.
These headphones have a lot more bass in quantitative terms than the 45-ohm version. It should be noted that, despite the greater amount of bass, it is very accurate and excellent in dynamics.
Unfortunately, I have nothing to measure the amplitude-frequency response, so you will have to rely on my words.

Also, it would be nice to have additional options like different shades for each color.
So far, Sasha is only developing his website, and as far as I know, such options will also be available.

Unfortunately, it looks like it's not hooked up to any payment systems like PayPal.
In this case, the recipient of funds will have to pay a commission by PayPal, which is another 30-40 euros to the price of the headphones.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2023 at 10:49 AM Post #962 of 1,214
The fact is that the weight of the headphones is directly related to the magnets used in them, and the power of these magnets and their weight directly affect the quality and quantity of bass.
That is, if you want lightweight planar headphones, you choose Hifimans (Arya for example), which have a thin membrans and weak magnets, but low weight and in which there is very little bass. If you want high-quality headphones with powerful deep bass, you choose Sash Tres SE.
As I noted in my review, the overall presentation of musical material of these headphones (45Ohm and Tres SE 25Ohm) is very close at mid and high frequencies, the frequency response will be about the same. If we talk about the bass component, then depending on the frequency, Sash Tres SE will provide ~ 2-3 dB more bass.

As far as I know, Alexander originally planned to make second edition headphones in two versions of 14 and 25 ohms, I don’t know how it will be in the end.

These headphones have a lot more bass in quantitative terms than the 45-ohm version. It should be noted that, despite the greater amount of bass, it is very accurate and excellent in dynamics.
Unfortunately, I have nothing to measure the amplitude-frequency response, so you will have to rely on my words.

So far, Sasha is only developing his website, and as far as I know, such options will also be available.

In this case, the recipient of funds will have to pay a commission by PayPal, which is another 30-40 euros to the price of the headphones.
Thanks for the info. I think improvements in the bass and stage areas and the fact that it's easier to drive with a portable player are good selling points.

Other than the price difference, is there anything that makes the 45ohm model a better choice? In other words, why would someone choose the 45ohm model given both options? Also, would it make sense to own both models?

Jul 23, 2023 at 11:51 AM Post #963 of 1,214
I think improvements in the bass and stage areas and the fact that it's easier to drive with a portable player are good selling points.
Again, the improvement in soundstage, instrument separation and overall musicality, as well as the improvements in the bass component are audible to everyone - they are impressive.

Other than the price difference, is there anything that makes the 45ohm model a better choice? In other words, why would someone choose the 45ohm model given both options? Also, would it make sense to own both models?
People perceive the sound stage and some other musical moments differently; some may not like the increase in bass content in the SE version. In general, the headphones are similar in the style of presentation of musical material, but in some details they differ quite significantly (more details in my review). Everyone must decide for himself. Personally I do not see the point of having two headphones.

Jul 23, 2023 at 11:56 AM Post #964 of 1,214
As for the differences between versions 14 and 25 ohms. The 25 ohm version has more tracks and covers almost 100% of the membrane surface. This provides better control over the membrane and, accordingly, higher detail and, probably, faster bass.
But the difference in volume between these two headphones will only be the difference in their sensitivity, that is, a maximum of 1 dB. The fact is that both the 14th and 25th versions will still be limited by the capabilities of the player (or amplifier), the ability to give the maximum current. As a rule, at such resistances, all portable devices can give no more than 80 mA (and this is enough for my 25 ohm headphones). Personally, I need better control over the membrane, so I chose 25 ohms.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2023 at 2:16 PM Post #965 of 1,214
All of us, gathered in this thread, love good music and good headphones from Sasha, which give us the opportunity to enjoy the sound. All of us, the owners of these headphones, are well aware in practice how chic they sound. And, therefore, it would be doubly interesting to get an unbiased opinion with the measurement results.
If I lived in the USA, I would send my pair of 45 Ohm Sash Tres to Amir (www.audiosciencereview.com) for review.
Maybe there is someone from the USA in the topic and could send their headphones for review?
I believe I live a couple of hours from Amir and am in his area somewhat regularly. If I could deliver them face to face, I would be willing to get my 45 Ohm Sash Tres to him.

Jul 23, 2023 at 2:36 PM Post #966 of 1,214
I believe I live a couple of hours from Amir and am in his area somewhat regularly. If I could deliver them face to face, I would be willing to get my 45 Ohm Sash Tres to him.
We would all be very grateful to you if you contacted Amir and agreed to transfer the headphones to him for testing. I believe Sash Tres is a gem and would love to get an unbiased review from an audio professional.

Aug 6, 2023 at 5:15 AM Post #967 of 1,214
Hi guys!
Today I received new grills from Sasha and immediately started replacing them. I will say that with these grills and the removal of two layers of felt, the sound became softer at high frequencies, the stage expanded and the depth increased. Also, oddly enough, I felt the best punch.

But I note that with a damper, the sound is still a little more correct, stricter and more monitor.
But without a damper, the presentation of musical material is more expansive and emotional. I like it!

Another surprising fact was that these headphones play perfectly even from my small old Shanling M2s DAP with size of a matchbox. Only 130mW and 65mA, but at maximum volume, the sound pressure level is sufficient for comfortable, albeit not loud, listening.

Amazing headphones, I love it! Ordered for them a Hiby R6 Pro II portable player befitting their status.

Attachments

• PSX_20230806_115044.jpg
    PSX_20230806_115044.jpg
    691.3 KB · Views: 0
  • PSX_20230806_115057.jpg
    PSX_20230806_115057.jpg
    662.4 KB · Views: 0
  • PSX_20230806_121309.jpg
    PSX_20230806_121309.jpg
    702 KB · Views: 0
  • PSX_20230806_121316.jpg
    PSX_20230806_121316.jpg
    224.3 KB · Views: 0
Aug 12, 2023 at 8:22 PM Post #968 of 1,214
My new Tres 45 ohm shipped on August 8th. Based on everyone's experience here I'm expecting shipping to Canada will take around a month. Can't wait!

T2 (2).jpgIMG_20230807_094839.jpgT4.jpgT1 (2).jpgT5.jpg

Aug 16, 2023 at 5:21 PM Post #969 of 1,214
They've arrived!

Sooooooooo sexy...

IMG_20230816_170617400_HDR.jpg

Early impressions: these are a very musical and engaging headphone. There's a sort of intimacy to the sound signature that I haven't quite figured out yet, but I'll be spending plenty of time over the coming days going "head to head" with the other phones in my collection.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2023 at 6:19 PM Post #970 of 1,214
They've arrived!

Sooooooooo sexy...

Early impressions: these are a very musical and engaging headphone. There's a sort of intimacy to the sound signature that I haven't quite figured out yet, but I'll be spending plenty of time over the coming days going "head to head" with the other phones in my collection.
I see you have the HD660S. I am considering it. How would you compare it with your new Sash Tres toy? Does it make sense to own both?

Edit: I am actually looking at HD600S2, the newer version.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2023 at 7:19 PM Post #971 of 1,214
I see you have the HD660S. I am considering it. How would you compare it with your new Sash Tres toy? Does it make sense to own both?

Edit: I am actually looking at HD600S2, the newer version.

I've never heard the S2 but people do seem to talk about it as if it's an entirely different beast (compared to the rest of the 6XX series). That said ...
  • I continue to have trouble warming up to the 660S. I "get" the appeal, I hear those forward and honest mids, but I hardly ever find myself reaching for them. There's nothing fun or special to them. Maybe I'm just a troglodyte and there's a special place in hell reserved for me - possibly something involving an open box returns table at Best Buy
  • I'll try to invest some time in a mini-review of the Tres 45, with comparisons to some of my other headphones including the 660S

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2023 at 8:00 PM Post #972 of 1,214
Wow, I just discovered these. I currently don't have a planar in my lineup and these are considerably more affordable than Audeze.

Could I power them with a Qudelix 5K and balanced cable?

Aug 16, 2023 at 8:23 PM Post #973 of 1,214
A little earlier I was powering them single-ended with the Aiyima T8: a cheap hybrid DAC/amp pushing around 100mW output power into 45ohms. It did fine - maybe a little less slam than from my HO200 but overall still fine. I can try with my Fiio BTR7 later and tell you how it goes.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2023 at 12:02 AM Post #974 of 1,214
Wow, I just discovered these. I currently don't have a planar in my lineup and these are considerably more affordable than Audeze.

Could I power them with a Qudelix 5K and balanced cable?
I have several mobile devices with different output power, and I also have Sash Tres 45 ohm and Sash Tres SE 25 Ohm. I can say that Sash Tres 45 ohms are quite difficult to push and they need either a good portable amplifier or a stationary one. And as for Sash Tres Se 25 ohm, they will be great to play from your Qudelix 5K.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back