Sansa Fuze+
Aug 21, 2010 at 11:24 AM Post #16 of 102
I don't see how it will be that cheap as they use an OLED screen.. Still I'll buy one when I can put Rockbox on it.

Aug 21, 2010 at 12:33 PM Post #17 of 102

Quote:
I don't see how it will be that cheap as they use an OLED screen.. Still I'll buy one when I can put Rockbox on it.

Lol, you realize the Clip+ uses an OLED screen.  FYI.

Aug 21, 2010 at 12:39 PM Post #18 of 102

Quote:
Lol, you realize the Clip+ uses an OLED screen.  FYI.

Yeah, but that's tiny - like my U5.

Larger colour OLED screens a la J3, Sony X are expensive.

Aug 21, 2010 at 1:03 PM Post #19 of 102
The J3 and Sony X and pricey in spite of their screens.  Small DAP sized OLEDs arent that bad price wise.  Once you want to go > 4" now we are talking exponential cost.  The manufacturing process is well established for small size OLED and costs are pretty stable.  Except for HTC gobbling everything up atm for their smartphones.

Aug 22, 2010 at 1:08 AM Post #21 of 102
I don't really see anything worthwhile in this updated version. The current one already has slotRadio, not that I care about it at all. It also has a 24hr battery if I'm not mistaken. I like the normal buttons more than capacitive buttons and I don't care about the screen because I don't watch videos on it. So what am I missing here, how is this better?

Sep 1, 2010 at 12:12 AM Post #22 of 102
Well the Fuze+ is official now.

$120 for an OLED player with 16gb storage seems reasonable...but I'm not a fan of a lack of tactile feedback when navigating menus.  It'll be interesting to see how this stacks up to the Fuze from a sound quality perspective.

Sep 1, 2010 at 12:21 AM Post #23 of 102
Sep 1, 2010 at 12:43 AM Post #24 of 102
you know, OLED screens haven't showed a single improvement over LCD screens in battery performance, in colour reproduction. they do have better black levels, but every android phone for instance, that relies onOLED gets worse battery than its LCD cousins. colours look less lifelike unless you just prefer to look at the world through HDR lenses.

I am glad that Sansa and apple have held off from joining OLED. when they produce lifelike colours (meaning, held up next to a real life object, they don't look like an artists rendition of the object) and really do consume less energy, they are worthless.

Sep 1, 2010 at 1:12 AM Post #25 of 102

Quote:
you know, OLED screens haven't showed a single improvement over LCD screens in battery performance, in colour reproduction. they do have better black levels, but every android phone for instance, that relies onOLED gets worse battery than its LCD cousins. colours look less lifelike unless you just prefer to look at the world through HDR lenses.

I am glad that Sansa and apple have held off from joining OLED. when they produce lifelike colours (meaning, held up next to a real life object, they don't look like an artists rendition of the object) and really do consume less energy, they are worthless.

I disagree.  I think most OLED screens are calibrated at that temperature for 'wow' affect.  Just like going to a store that sells HDTV's, everything is oversaturated for marketing.  OLEDs should have a larger color gamut therefore can reproduce any color an LCD can render.  My familiarity goes to OLED TVs and monitors, I'm not too familiar w/ the handheld offerings.  I saw a Zune HD once I think had an 'OLED' screen and it was very unimpressive.  I just brushed it off as 'well that's Microsoft for you".  As for TV's I've seen the OLED screens going back 4-5 years ago w/ the Sony introduction of I think the 10" screen?  It is by far and away the superior standard for the future.  Color vibrancy of course is unmatched in potential, no native screen resolution (just plug it in and go), 600hz refresh rate (120/240/who cares), perfect black levels, no blooming, thinner and lighter than any LCD can be made and no back or edgelight to burn out.  Last year I saw Sony running their 3D demo on an OLED screen.  OMG, its the most natural, realistic and amazing thing I have ever seen in every way.  Panasonic, Samsung, Sony LCD 3D is a joke.  Forget what you all have seen about 3D.  Avatar 3D in any of the 3 available formats can't touch Sony OLED 3D.  Honestly, I would not use current handheld production samples are a reference for the pinnacle of the technology.  Not to mention current capacities cannot keep up w/ current demand.  HTC had to switch to LCDs midstream on some Droid producst because OLEDs were out of stock.  I'm sure quality is of primary concern yet in the few production sites that do exist.    

Sep 1, 2010 at 6:00 AM Post #26 of 102

Quote:
I disagree.  I think most OLED screens are calibrated at that temperature for 'wow' affect.  Just like going to a store that sells HDTV's, everything is oversaturated for marketing.  OLEDs should have a larger color gamut therefore can reproduce any color an LCD can render.  My familiarity goes to OLED TVs and monitors, I'm not too familiar w/ the handheld offerings.  I saw a Zune HD once I think had an 'OLED' screen and it was very unimpressive.  I just brushed it off as 'well that's Microsoft for you".  As for TV's I've seen the OLED screens going back 4-5 years ago w/ the Sony introduction of I think the 10" screen?  It is by far and away the superior standard for the future.  Color vibrancy of course is unmatched in potential, no native screen resolution (just plug it in and go), 600hz refresh rate (120/240/who cares), perfect black levels, no blooming, thinner and lighter than any LCD can be made and no back or edgelight to burn out.  Last year I saw Sony running their 3D demo on an OLED screen.  OMG, its the most natural, realistic and amazing thing I have ever seen in every way.  Panasonic, Samsung, Sony LCD 3D is a joke.  Forget what you all have seen about 3D.  Avatar 3D in any of the 3 available formats can't touch Sony OLED 3D.  Honestly, I would not use current handheld production samples are a reference for the pinnacle of the technology.  Not to mention current capacities cannot keep up w/ current demand.  HTC had to switch to LCDs midstream on some Droid producst because OLEDs were out of stock.  I'm sure quality is of primary concern yet in the few production sites that do exist.    

Everything is right except for the resolution. That sony's OLED TV (as all oled screens) does have a native resolution just because any LCD; OLED screen consists of the fixed pixels just because LCD is (in contrast with CRT). Maybe that TV just used some uncommon resize methods which were making picture in non-native resolution to look relatively good.

Sep 1, 2010 at 12:05 PM Post #27 of 102

Quote:
Everything is right except for the resolution. That sony's OLED TV (as all oled screens) does have a native resolution just because any LCD; OLED screen consists of the fixed pixels just because LCD is (in contrast with CRT). Maybe that TV just used some uncommon resize methods which were making picture in non-native resolution to look relatively good.

Well, when I asked the Sony reps, they told me explicitly that their OLED screens have no native resolution.  Thats all I can say about that.  I don't now if they are wrong.  Could be.

Sep 1, 2010 at 1:28 PM Post #29 of 102

Quote:
They are definitely wrong.

I'll ask them for clarification in January and pass on the reply.  I won't let them off so easy this time around.   I won't leave until they give me a number! 
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back