Sansa Fuze LODs?
Feb 13, 2009 at 6:24 AM Post #31 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by upstateguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Z

I don't understand what you mean?

USG

Well, some upscale manufacturer (I think it's Wadia) Will actually do an "upgrade" to your iPod, when you buy their DAC/dock, so the iPod sends a digital signal (what you'd normally get from your CD Player's S/PDIF or Toslink outputs) to the unit.

That, and these Line-Output DIY projects, got me wondering just how many unused pins are in these little interface ports...and if there would be an "easy" way to tap into that data stream.

According to ClieOS, at least for the Sansa, this actually is not very easy to do. The hardware would have to of course provide a digital output to the interface for this to work. If I'm reading his post correctly, that has not been implemented on the Fuze. Bummer, because it seems the little unit has a lot going for it as an audiophile source, otherwise.

Incidentally, ClieOS--what does "SoC" stand for? Are you talking hardware or firmware? Sorry for such an inane question - I must still be quite the neophyte.
wink_face.gif

Feb 13, 2009 at 6:52 AM Post #32 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zaubertuba /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, some upscale manufacturer (I think it's Wadia) Will actually do an "upgrade" to your iPod, when you buy their DAC/dock, so the iPod sends a digital signal (what you'd normally get from your CD Player's S/PDIF or Toslink outputs) to the unit.

That, and these Line-Output DIY projects, got me wondering just how many unused pins are in these little interface ports...and if there would be an "easy" way to tap into that data stream.

According to ClieOS, at least for the Sansa, this actually is not very easy to do. The hardware would have to of course provide a digital output to the interface for this to work. If I'm reading his post correctly, that has not been implemented on the Fuze. Bummer, because it seems the little unit has a lot going for it as an audiophile source, otherwise.

Incidentally, ClieOS--what does "SoC" stand for? Are you talking hardware or firmware? Sorry for such an inane question - I must still be quite the neophyte.
wink_face.gif

I could be wrong, but I think the "Wadia" you're referring to is a self contained computer/DAC and it is using the ipod for media storage like a usb key.

USG

Feb 13, 2009 at 7:04 AM Post #33 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by upstateguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I could be wrong, but I think the "Wadia" you're referring to is a self contained computer/DAC and it is using the ipod for media storage like a usb key.

USG

I misspoke, actually. It's not even a DAC--it's just a dock. Read more here: Stereophile: Wadia Digital 170iTransport digital iPod dock

So you're still effectively using your ipod as a transport. Just circumventing the internal DAC and headphone stage.

Wouldn't it be nice if you could get your ripped flac tracks out of your little sansa and use whatever external processing you wanted?
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 13, 2009 at 11:47 AM Post #34 of 43
Quote:

wink_face.gif

SoC, or System-on-a-Chip, is a single chip that include almost all the electronic components that required to setup a whole system (imagine a whole PC inside one chip). In this case, the AS3525 in Fuze has a CPU (250mHz max), ROM, RAM, all the I/O control (USB, IDE, flash memory), power regulator, audio system (mic, ADC/DAC/AMP), video acceleration, and so on. You can use the same chip in a PDA or a smartphone by customizing the firmware (like how Windows and MacOS would run in a computer).

Feb 15, 2009 at 3:58 AM Post #35 of 43
Feb 15, 2009 at 4:18 AM Post #36 of 43
Quote:

I misspoke, actually. It's not even a DAC--it's just a dock. Read more here: Stereophile: Wadia Digital 170iTransport digital iPod dock

So you're still effectively using your ipod as a transport. Just circumventing the internal DAC and headphone stage.

Wouldn't it be nice if you could get your ripped flac tracks out of your little sansa and use whatever external processing you wanted?
smily_headphones1.gif

I read your link and I'm not so sure that the Wadia doesn't have its own DAC. They refer to the Wadia as a transport receiving digital signals, such as ALAC or mp3, from the ipod.

USG

Oct 11, 2012 at 5:41 AM Post #38 of 43
Oct 12, 2012 at 4:32 AM Post #40 of 43
May I know if Sansa Fuze sound stage & separation will be improved if LOD (picture) is used and output to the portable headphone amp?
$(KGrHqR,!nYE-z14in5fBP7-j)Hzbw~~60_12.JPG

Quote:
Noob question here: will the sound quality vary among LODs?

I ordered these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-Sandisk-Sansa-Fuze-Line-Out-Dock-LOD-For-Headphone-Amplifier-/170870295395?pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item27c8a9cb63

will they be fine with the 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable that is included with the Fiio E11? Or should I order a more expensive LOD?

Oct 12, 2012 at 5:00 AM Post #41 of 43
Quote:
May I know if Sansa Fuze sound stage & separation will be improved if LOD (picture) is used and output to the portable headphone amp?
%24(KGrHqR,!nYE-z14in5fBP7-j)Hzbw~~60_12.JPG

I'll let you know, but shipping will take a couple of weeks from ebay :)

I found this thread where an admin says there really is no difference between the LO and the headphone out on the Sansa Fuze. 
confused_face.gif

http://forums.rockbox.org/index.php?topic=35181.0

Oct 12, 2012 at 5:09 AM Post #42 of 43

Users who are viewing this thread

Back