Sansa Fuze/FiiO E5/Etymotic ER-6i - Next upgrade is earphones?
Oct 12, 2010 at 5:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

fancysocks

New Head-Fier
Like the subject says - I currently have a Rockboxed Sansa Fuze that I listen to with ER-6is powered by an E5. I'm very satisfied with the isolation from my ER-6is /w flanged tips since I am usually listening to music while commuting on the subway or bus. However, I've been itching to upgrade although I'm not sure where to start. I was planning on upgrading my earbuds first before I get something like the Cowon J3. After a bit of reading, I am considering the Sennheiser IE7s (used probably).

At home I switch out the ER-6is for my Grado SR80s. The E5 is my first amp, so I'm not sure if it would make more sense to upgrade the amp first which might give a bit more push to the SR80s and maybe bring out more bass on the Eties.

My ear's pretty decent, but I'm a bit new to DAP hardware. New DAP? Amp? Earbuds? I would very much appreciate some advice. I'm mostly concerned with isolation (so probably IEMs) and overall sound quality.

Oct 12, 2010 at 5:59 AM Post #2 of 4
I say go for iems first. Since you have a dap, buying a new one with the same iems will end up having almost same sound. So upgrade your iems and when your ready jumb to a better dap.
But then again, your iems are pretty decent.

Oct 12, 2010 at 6:19 AM Post #3 of 4
The Cowon J3 wipes the floor with the stock Fuze - haven't tried Rockbox with the  latter, but the improvement in sound the J3 offers over the Sansa is immense.

I say first step is upgrade your iems to Ety HF5s, as they isolate brilliantly and if you like the Ety sound, you'll love the HF5s.  For me, they're just about perfect.

Then, if and when cash permits, get the J3.

Oct 12, 2010 at 2:29 PM Post #4 of 4
That's about what I was thinking. I'll definitely go IEMs first then and check out the HF5s. They seem a bit cheaper so if I get them used maybe I can nab a Cowon S9 at the same time.

Was also considering the Panasonic HJE900s and trying out a loaner Fuze LOD to get some more life out of my Fuze.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back