Sansa - Clip+ VS. Clip Zip
Mar 22, 2012 at 5:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

spandexninja

New Head-Fier
I want the Clip Zip (for the radio) but I've heard some reliability issues with this model. The amazon rating is only 3.5 since a lot of people are getting dead units. Does anyone know if this is a hardware or firmware issue? Will getting rockbox for the Clip Zip make it more reliable?

Mar 22, 2012 at 9:17 PM Post #2 of 15
The issues with the Clip Zip are firmware ones. Those who use it with Rockbox are happy with it.

Mar 24, 2012 at 6:06 PM Post #4 of 15
Mar 24, 2012 at 9:23 PM Post #5 of 15
Get the Zip if you plan to use Rockbox. Otherwise get the Clip+. Amazon or B&H Photo are usually the cheapest on these as they have free shipping. I think the 4GB Clip+ is $35 and the 4GB Zip is $40 with free US shipping.

Mar 24, 2012 at 9:38 PM Post #6 of 15

Quote:
Get the Zip if you plan to use Rockbox. Otherwise get the Clip+. Amazon or B&H Photo are usually the cheapest on these as they have free shipping. I think the 4GB Clip+ is $35 and the 4GB Zip is $40 with free US shipping.

Do you recommend rockboxing Clip+ ?

Mar 24, 2012 at 9:42 PM Post #7 of 15

Quote:

JK1 doesn't do Rockbox, even though it offers some features he would like.....

Mar 25, 2012 at 4:12 AM Post #8 of 15

Quote:

I thought about it, but decided against it. I even read through the Rockbox manual. What I didn't like about Rockbox was that using it voids the player warranty, some people have bricked their player using Rockbox(although this is probably rare), and installing Rockbox may permanently disable the player's ability to play protected files(I have some Slotradio cards).

Rockbox seems much more complex than the Sandisk firmware, however it does offer many more settings. I rely on the resume feature on the the Clip+ for Podcasts(Rockbox doesn't have that).

I guess a good analogy may be comparing Rockbox to a manual transmission car, and the original firmware to an automatic transmission car. Which is better? It depends what you want.

Apr 21, 2012 at 3:40 AM Post #9 of 15
I thought about it, but decided against it. I even read through the Rockbox manual. What I didn't like about Rockbox was that using it voids the player warranty, some people have bricked their player using Rockbox(although this is probably rare), and installing Rockbox may permanently disable the player's ability to play protected files(I have some Slotradio cards).

Rockbox seems much more complex than the Sandisk firmware, however it does offer many more settings. I rely on the resume feature on the the Clip+ for Podcasts(Rockbox doesn't have that).

I guess a good analogy may be comparing Rockbox to a manual transmission car, and the original firmware to an automatic transmission car. Which is better? It depends what you want.

I know this is a bit old but,

I have sent in rockboxed players for rma and had no problem getting a replacement. also, rockbox does support resume.

Mar 12, 2014 at 9:00 AM Post #11 of 15
Is the Zip more reliable than the Clip+ ?
I ask because I've had two Clip+s fail on me within nine months of very gentle use (dead headphone jacks each time).
At this point, I'm not sure I trust Sansa's disposable players, but they're an unbeatable proposition at their price.

Mar 13, 2014 at 12:02 AM Post #12 of 15
I don't think clip zip is reliable. My unit's microsd slot stopped working. Overall the construction feels flimsy to me. Don't have a clip+ to compare, but I do have sport clip which I feel is more sturdy.

Mar 13, 2014 at 5:16 AM Post #13 of 15
I don't think clip zip is reliable. My unit's microsd slot stopped working. Overall the construction feels flimsy to me. Don't have a clip+ to compare, but I do have sport clip which I feel is more sturdy.

My Clip Zip is still working perfectly after two years of ownership. Sport Clip might feel more sturdy, true, but it has some serious firmware flaws.

Mar 13, 2014 at 8:52 PM Post #14 of 15
My Clip Zip is still working perfectly after two years of ownership. Sport Clip might feel more sturdy, true, but it has some serious firmware flaws.

Yes, I have heard others complain about sport clip's firmware. So far I am ok with it. I mainly set it on shuttle and just enjoy the music. Haven't experienced any freezes or other hick-ups yet. The battery life on the sport clip is about twice that of clip zip. I like that.

Mar 14, 2014 at 12:32 AM Post #15 of 15
Yes, I have heard others complain about sport clip's firmware. So far I am ok with it. I mainly set it on shuttle and just enjoy the music. Haven't experienced any freezes or other hick-ups yet. The battery life on the sport clip is about twice that of clip zip. I like that.

Yeah, if you use it as a shuffle player it seems to play just fine that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back