Sansa Clip/Fuze volume choices
Feb 2, 2009 at 5:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

RASeymour

500+ Head-Fier
Does anyone know about the mechanics of the volume choices between high and normal? Is normal just a backdoor way to introduce a volume limiting function, with high actually being "normal"?

I use the Clip and Fuze for all music in the winter. I'm trying to figure out whether using the "high" function introduces any distortion or clipping into the sound.

Feb 2, 2009 at 6:09 PM Post #3 of 18
I personally believe the 'normal' setting is just Sandisk's way of complying with EU's requirement for a volume limiter. I have been using my Fuze (both 'Normal' and 'High') with quite a few very sensitive IEM both in amped and unamped situation and I do not detect any distortion nor clipping. Since volume control in Fuze (and likely the same in Clip) is done via CPU instead in amp stage, I wouldn't expect it to distort anyway.

Feb 3, 2009 at 1:44 PM Post #4 of 18
Is it normal that with the latest fuze firmware ( 22a I think) there is no difference between the two choices?
(edit: I did put North America as my region when asked after updating)

Feb 3, 2009 at 6:15 PM Post #6 of 18
Ok I didn't know it worked like that (just received it yesterday).
I thought that the "high" setting would make the output louder, like volume at 10 on high would be louder than 10 on normal.

Feb 4, 2009 at 1:32 AM Post #7 of 18
Full volume bar on 'Normal' is only about 75% of 'High' setting.

Feb 4, 2009 at 1:50 AM Post #8 of 18
Why would you need to go anywhere near that high anyway?

Mine's usually a couple steps below halfway.
The highest I've had my volume is a couple of notches above halfway ever.

Feb 4, 2009 at 1:53 AM Post #9 of 18
I use full volume on high mainly when I am using an amp (it has a better SNR that way), at least till I am able to build my LOD for Fuze.

Feb 4, 2009 at 2:17 AM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use full volume on high mainly when I am using an amp (it has a better SNR that way), at least till I am able to build my LOD for Fuze.

Wait, how do you build an lod for the fuse? I thought it was only HP out?

I have a little silver mini/mini for that. I use high settings max for my amp too.

Feb 4, 2009 at 4:09 AM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemanspliff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wait, how do you build an lod for the fuse? I thought it was only HP out?

I have a little silver mini/mini for that. I use high settings max for my amp too.

Someone on Sandisk forum already reverse engineered a LOD based on Griffiin dock for Sansa. You can read it here.

Feb 4, 2009 at 6:15 AM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zerius /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i think the LOD is merely the HP out on 100%, and just there for bragging rights

If you read that whole thread, you'll know other wise. Sandisk's stuff already acknowledges that the LO signal from the connector are different (down to signal path) from the headphone-out, has constant voltage that is different from the headphone-out (measured and confirmed by another member), and most importantly, has better SNR than headphone-out (cleaner, which make it more suitable for amping).

Also want to point out that, Fuze's CPU-DAC-AMP stage design is different from other conventional DAP. Instead of the more common method (volume control on the amp stage), Fuze's volume and EQ control are applied directly to the data before it is sent to DAC and amp. Early on, there was some confusion in that thread on whether it is a LO signal as you can still change volume on LO - since then, Sandisk already removes the CPU controlled volume mechanism in LO mode in the latest firmware (so to maintain a fixed LO voltage for a more proper LO signal). If Sandisk would also removed the EQ in LO mode, it will most certainly kill off any confusion. But as far as I can tell, they don't really think the extra work is that useful. After all, an user can just turn off the EQ him/herself. As for bragging rights, I don't think result gained from user reverse-engineering effort qualifies - at least I haven't see Sandisk wanting to claim it.

Feb 4, 2009 at 9:47 AM Post #14 of 18
Full high for me into the Nuforce Icon Mobile amp.

Where do you get a Line out doc for the Fuse?

Feb 4, 2009 at 11:31 AM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where do you get a Line out doc for the Fuse?

You can't. It is still a DIY project at this point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back