Sansa Clip+ Bass Clipping and Distorting
Jul 21, 2012 at 8:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

H20Fidelity

Headphoneus Supremus
I was using my Clip+ last night on rockbox which has been installed for many months now and I've been having problems adjusting bass from the equalizer. (not treble and bass adjustments below sound) the "full equalizer". I can't adjust it past 5.0 without minor clipping distorting the low end at any volume. if I turn it past 13 it just absoutlely packs up shop. it's happening on LS and PK1 I'm having to adjust bass from the bass section below volume which works fine but shouldn't it just work similar in the EQ? I mean I'm, not getting clipping using that section. is this just how the clip is? It's pretty unusable in this state.

What's the problem? The high frequency's work well,

Does anyone know if there's a fix for this??

Jul 21, 2012 at 10:01 PM Post #2 of 6
I have discovered you can adjust the precut which helps however it precuts all EQ frequency's.

However, it still doesn't seem normal.

Jul 21, 2012 at 10:28 PM Post #3 of 6
Bass uses much more power than higher frequencies. i suggest you use more efficient earphones or headphones,  or use a headphone amp. The $23 Fiio E6 is a good small and cheap headphone amp.

Jul 21, 2012 at 10:41 PM Post #4 of 6
Bass uses much more power than higher frequencies. i suggest you use more efficient earphones or headphones,  or use a headphone amp. The $23 Fiio E6 is a good small and cheap headphone amp.

Yeah that was it a JK1, I was using 50ohm GRO7 MK2, once I changed to 16ohm IEM's the problem was solved. I have an E11 here. Hey thanks man, that was big help, stopped me searching around. I guess coming from a Cowon player there's going to be differences in power.

Jul 21, 2012 at 11:22 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:
I was using my Clip+ last night on rockbox which has been installed for many months now and I've been having problems adjusting bass from the equalizer. (not treble and bass adjustments below sound) the "full equalizer". I can't adjust it past 5.0 without minor clipping distorting the low end at any volume. if I turn it past 13 it just absoutlely packs up shop. it's happening on LS and PK1 I'm having to adjust bass from the bass section below volume which works fine but shouldn't it just work similar in the EQ? I mean I'm, not getting clipping using that section. is this just how the clip is? It's pretty unusable in this state.
What's the problem? The high frequency's work well,
Does anyone know if there's a fix for this??

Are you using ReplayGain, and if so, do you have "prevent clipping" enabled? 

Jul 21, 2012 at 11:31 PM Post #6 of 6
Are you using ReplayGain, and if so, do you have "prevent clipping" enabled? 

No I wasn't but I tried it. It seems to help the majority of clipping using LS and PK1 though it's still present. If I switch to 16ohm SoundMAGIC E10 the problem goes away, it's the 50ohm GRO7 giving me problems which is sure to be a lack of power issue.

Though there's a couple of things I still don't understand. If I use the "bass" function below the volume adjustment in sound settings there's no distortion at all, I can get pounding bass without any clipping which makes me wonder why the EQ is doing so at not even half those amounts. Also when I use an amp the same thing is happening. Still major clipping when I go past 5.0 on LS. The thing is @ LS 5.0 there's not much bass at all , just a present clipping noise where beats should be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back