San Jose Meet - Sat August 6
Jun 26, 2005 at 4:19 AM Post #106 of 259
I met sleestack (Richard) and he’ll be the perfect host for this meet; a more passionate music and audio fan you will not meet.
smily_headphones1.gif
I cannot wait to see all you Bay Area head-fiers again (Christina, Ti, Chris, Frank, Bruce, Clarke, Justin, Eric, etc.) and check out all the cool gear. Meeting Ray is always a blast (he’s hilarious and his antics from last year’s SoCal meet are not forgotten) and the legendary Tyll of HeadRoom will be special indeed. I’ll be toting:

PS Audio P300 & plenty of PS Audio Plus power cables
Panasonic DVD-S47 DVD-Audio transport
Belden 1694A digital coaxial cable
MCM Glass TOSLINK
Onix XCD-88 CD player with OPA627BP op-amps
Benchmark DAC1
Alessandro MS1
Beyerdynamic DT770/80
Koss KSC75
Sennhesier HD650 with Zu Mobius-XLR

Headamp Kevin Gilmore Blue Hawaii electrostatic amplifier
Sennhesier HE90 Orpheus headphones
Stax SR-007 “Omega II”
Grado HP-2 with Joe Grado Ultra-wide bandwidth cable
Sony Qualia 010

Those last five items are courtesy of Alex (ayt999 – he will be in Japan during the meet), who is also lending Scrith the Grado PS-1 with the balanced cable and Sony MDR-R10 for the benefit of the community – what a guy (I’ll get a HeadRoom mug for him).

Jun 26, 2005 at 11:21 PM Post #108 of 259
I don't exactly have a nice collection of gear to bring. I *might* have a pair of MDR-D77s by then, although only time will tell.

Other than that, I do have my eccentric (and unusual) Nextway NMP-612TD MP3 player that I could bring. It's a little 512MB flash player with the Wolfson WM8750L. I think it sounds pretty decent for something running off of one AA, especially considering the battery life it gets (which seems to be around 25-30 hours). It's USB Mass Storage compatible, so, if someone is bringing their rig, we can plug it in and load it up with whatever you guys would like. I can't seem to get it to play WAV thus far, so I don't know if it supports it. It does, however, support VBR MP3.

Would be neat to meet some head-fiers! Considering I'm only minutes away from that hotel, it seems like I should probably go. If nice collection of gear is required for entry, though, I understand and will remain absent.

Jun 27, 2005 at 3:47 PM Post #110 of 259
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray Samuels
Hi Friends at San Jose.....
I would love to come to your meet. If invited...

Just in case everyone else's posts weren't official enough for you, consider yourself invited! Drop us a line when you've booked a flight into SJO and we'll arrange someone to pick you up (if you don't have that worked out already).

Great to have you on board!

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeilPeart
I met sleestack (Richard) and he’ll be the perfect host for this meet; a more passionate music and audio fan you will not meet.

Indeed, not to mention the man knows his creme brulee! Awesome you've got Alex's gear...I've been dying to check out the Blue Hawaii/SR-007 combo ever since your write up after the Oakland meet. Anyone bringing a copy of "Brothers in Arms"?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Filburt
If nice collection of gear is required for entry, though, I understand and will remain absent.

Not at all, only a working set of ears (and $10) are required for entry.

Jun 27, 2005 at 4:36 PM Post #112 of 259
if i recall correctly, the hotel where the meet is being held is just over the highway from the airport, meaning a <5 minute cab ride if someone gets in late the night before or something. a rental car is probably not needed too much. ill be there and im bringing one of my non-headfi friends who ive gotten a bit into headphones. see you guys on the 6th!

rj

Jun 27, 2005 at 5:52 PM Post #113 of 259
I'll be there. Pre-emptively of course, I have a habit of finding out I don't have time to make it to these things, but I have a good feeling about this one.

I'll bring:

Grado SR-225s with Beta C-Pads
Shure E4Cs
Sony D-66

and we'll see what else I have by then, I actually just got through liquidating most of my stuff (sr-60s, er-4s, hd600, em9, cm7, ksc-35s/75s, a500s, hd280s, etc) and I'll probably be on the prowl for stuff pretty soon.
tongue.gif

Jun 27, 2005 at 7:16 PM Post #114 of 259
Quote:

Originally Posted by clarke68
Not at all, only a working set of ears (and $10) are required for entry.

Oki! Well I have both of those
smily_headphones1.gif

I'll at least bring the Nextway with the MDR-E888LPs. If anything else, *someone* will probably enjoy how oddball it is. I'm pretty fond of it, though
biggrin.gif

My brother may be interested in coming as well - he's really into headphones and home audio in general.

Jun 27, 2005 at 8:08 PM Post #115 of 259
Quote:

Originally Posted by clarke68
Anyone bringing a copy of "Brothers in Arms"?

well if i manage to copy all my music onto a backup external harddrive, i´ll bring all 35 days with my m-audio firewire! this would include brothers in arms, and their original self titled album
icon10.gif

i dreamt about a huge room full of headphones and head-fi smiley faces last night
tongue.gif

Jun 27, 2005 at 8:48 PM Post #116 of 259
A few reminders form the host:

Sorry about charging $10, but keep in mind that that the collection will only cover about 25% of the actual cost. I am covering the rest out of pocket b/c I don't want the hotel to take a loss. A small lunch buffet will be provided.

No dress code, but a wedding will be going on the same day in the main ballroom. I would appreciate it if people did not wear tank tops.

Please try to stay within the designated rooms. I can't have people conducting informal listening tests in the lobby. There should be plenty of space.

If you want to stay the night, I can offer you an employee rate, but you have to contact me directly.

We will have the main conference room downstairs. I am opening up a smaller conference room upstairs. I want to use that room for some of the higher-end setups and for dedicated listening comparisons.

We do have a bar for those who are inclined to drink, but you will have to pay for your own drinks. For those inclined to engage in other "activities," please take it to your car and park somewhere discrete rather than out in front.

I am going to need some members to be responsible for setup and general cleanup. Nothing major, but I can't leave the place in shambles.

Other than that, just keep in mind that all of the employees know me and know that I am holding some sort of event. In other words, I always have to set an example, so I would appreciate it if you would all be respectful toward the staff. One last thing... don't steal my towels.

Jun 27, 2005 at 8:52 PM Post #117 of 259
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jetlag
San Jose Airport Code = SJC

Yes...thank you. Do NOT fly into SJO, as it'll be hard to find someone to pick you up from Costa Rica!

Jun 28, 2005 at 7:21 PM Post #120 of 259
Wow, sounds like this is going to be a sweet meet!

I don't mind helpin' out with setup/tear-down if you still need hands. PM me to let me know!

Also, if there is any interest, I don't mind video doc'ing the event. If anyone wants to play the part of the "host", I'd be more than happy to coordinate, bring the equipment, be the shooter, and edit down.
biggrin.gif

The only thing I ask is that my company gets credited for the production.

580smile.gif

Of course, this is contingent on a green light by Sleestack and the management at the venue...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back