San Francisco Bay Area - February 25, 2006
Feb 27, 2006 at 1:45 AM Post #46 of 138
Quote:

Originally Posted by Voltron

[b]The Future[/b]. That is what new Head-Fier Grahame's rig was all about. I will not go into detail because I simply don't understand it all, but he had a laptop working in slim server mode to control his own internet portal which in turn allowed him to stream 300 Gigs (over a Terabyte at home, this was just for going walkies) to[/i]
[/td] [/tr] [/table]

I can't believe I missed this. Anyone have pictures and more details on this setup?

Feb 27, 2006 at 2:36 AM Post #47 of 138
Thanks a bunch to Neil for hosting this fabulously insane meet, and letting us all ogle over his new Orpheus system, among other items. Also a round of applause for all who showed up, especially for foo_me who drove all the way in from LA; Raif from Sacramento; and Alex for dragging his usual massive load of gear all the way down from Santa Rosa. It was a great time getting introduced to a whole new crowd of head-fiers, and reuniting with some old acquaintances.

A few impressions on my most listened-to gear of the meet (must have put several hours into each set of cans listed):

AT W5000: I really liked these quite a bit. The build is nicer than the W2002's with sturdier feeling metal, and it has a very stealth look, other than the great wooden earcups, which I also liked better than the W2002's. The pads, the object of much debate, fortunately fit me just fine, and I preferred them to the L3000's and W2002's pads, both of which did not feel as smooth, and had a tendency to stick to ones' skin a bit more. Soundwise, they weren't too far from the SA5K's I favor, trading a bit of detail for a bit more warmth and bass volume. They certainly had a great impact on percussion instruments. The soundstage is a bit smaller compared to good open headphones, but still manages to present a detailed imaging performance, though not quite to the extent of the best cans in that regard. It’s hard to say that they’re worth $800 based on sound alone (though they do sound damn good) but once you factor in the looks, and fit/finish, it is easier to understand.

AT L3000: I also found these very enjoyable, and although at first I found the bass a bit much, I did get used to it after a few songs (something I could never say of the PS-1). They certainly lean to the warmer, less attack-oriented side of things, however they manage to do it in a way that does not leave one longing for supposedly lost detail or resolution. While it is not as clear sounding with the instrument separation as my preferred headphones, when listening to the L3000 I found myself not bothered by that. These aspects make the L3000 pretty forgiving sounding, but with a better technical performance than non-balanced HD650's. I think these are the best I've heard on the forgiving/warm side of the sound spectrum, at least as far as dynamic headphones are concerned. Despite what many think, I really like how these look, though I still want to see what the green version looks like in person. I noticed they are a bit heavier than the other AT woodies, and seem to have a bit better isolation as well. Driving them balanced was a rather slight improvement, mostly in the department of bass control; as I found the bass a touch on the loose side, even from the Dynahi; whereas the balanced Gilmore reference tightened it up a bit.

Orpheus: Well I will say that I can certainly understand the widespread appeal of the Orpheus system (or the HE90 headphones themselves), because they made everything I threw at them, from orchestral to trance to metal, sound very lively, rich, and detailed, yet not harsh or thin. It also had superb extension from the lowest lows, to the highest highs, as one would expect from a world-class headphone system. That said, it is not the perfect headphone system, at least IMO. I never was quite satisfied with the impact of the sound, especially when it came to the most dynamic crescendos of orchestral music, and well recorded timpani drums. Ori (of Oritek cable fame) and I tried to alleviate this for some time, using different interconnects, power cables, DAC's, and the Blue Hawaii, but to no real avail. My second issue is more a philosophical one; in that I find the Orpheus/HE90 generally made the wide range of recordings I listened to with it sound more homogenous than high-end dynamic systems with a solid-state amp (i.e. the R10, Qualia, HP1000, or even SA5000 with the dynahi). What I mean here is that with the dynamic setup, recordings from great to quite sub-par sounded much more different from one another, than they did from the Orpheus. Instead of a poor recording sounding thin and a bit harsh, the Orpheus would make it sound much more listenable, with more body, and far less glare. Granted this is more enjoyable to listen to, but perhaps less accurate/transparent to what is on the recording. Considering that there was no solid-state electrostatic amp available, I still wonder if the second issues is more related to the coloration of tube-based amps than the performance of the HE90 themselves. Interestingly, I found the Orpheus to be the most useful for rock/pop music, especially because of its' ability to make even sub-par recordings very enjoyable, if one is after a flowing, harmonic presentation, rather than a physical imposing one. And for the Orpheus' ability to make almost any recording sound quite enjoyable, I can see why it is so sought after, in that if one is comfortable with the trade-offs, the Orpheus is a close to a set-it-and-forget-it music system as I've heard.

A few quicker takes:

RnB Grace Five-Two: Definitely the best cable I’ve heard for the HD650’s, it improves upon the transient response offered by the Zu while sounding a bit more natural at the same time. The Zu an Silver Dragon are perhaps slightly better put together, especially with the Sennheiser connectors, but neither is quite as much an improvement on the 650’s as the GFT is. Too bad he’s not going to be making them anymore….

AKG K701 & K601: They’re pretty darn close sounding, with the K701 sounding just a bit more nuanced in the high end, with a resultant better imaged soundstage. Of course the K601 looks much nicer. I noticed the K601 does clamp a bit less, but the comfort wasn’t too different. I prefer the new AKG’s over the Sennheiser 650, for both sound and comfort, though I do like the Senn’s elliptical earcups over the AKG’s round ones. I think the K701 and 601 fit nicely into the HD650-DT880 range of headphones. The K601’s sound performance is pretty comparable to the 650 and 880 with stock cables, whereas the K701 has a slight edge over all three. Of course once you start upgrading cable, and/or going balanced, all bets are off.

M3: I compared Neilpeart’s M3 to my Dynahi, and found that the Dynahi held a couple of advantages, though considering the M3’s comparatively low price, it might be the best bang for the buck headphone amp out there. The Dynahi drove headphones a bit more effortlessly, with a bit more clarity in busy and dynamic passages, giving the effect that individual instruments were more clearly defined and had a bit more weight. This was more noticeable with power-hungry cans like the K271, whereas the effect was a bit more subtle with the more efficient SA5000’s and AT’s. I also noticed a difference in presentation of the soundstage, with the M3 sounding a bit closed in by comparison, both in width and depth. Also the Dynahi’s soundstage was slightly more focused, noticeable especially with a vocalist at center stage, which had a more tightly centered presence. As I said though, considering the price of the M3, it really does perform quite well indeed. On a side note, I didn’t find the M3 and SA5000 to have any particularly good synergy, however they certainly didn’t have a mis-synergy either, so I suppose I can see why people like to pair the two.

Feb 27, 2006 at 2:52 AM Post #48 of 138
Had another great time at a Head-fi Meet. Special "Thanks" to Neil and his family for opening the place up to us. It was a gorgeous location......with alot of perks too.

A few opinions here:

1. Turbo Dock II just sounded more thick and weighty compared to the pocket dock. And I love the way the IPOD/TD II / SR-71 / Ety 4s sounded. I maybe purchasing a portable amp again. Too bad I didn't get a chance to compare to the mini M-cubed.

2. I liked ID's setup (Lavry/Dynahi/SA5000) except for the SA5000. When I listened with Neil's HD650/Equinox, it was just gorgeous.

3. I also liked Foo-me's setup (Dynamight, balanced PS-1's with Blue Dragon cable(?)). Alex's balanced cable was right behind the Moon Audio cable. I won't talk about the third cable
icon10.gif
. Really enjoyed the PS-1's in this setup. Very punchy and dynamic but was a little bassy with the flats. Foo-me's was recommending I try the bowls, but maybe next time.

4. The Orpheus needless to say was in a league of it's own. First time to hear the HE90/HEV90 combo and it didn't disappoint. And I don't know what it is about night-time listening, but it sounded even better later that evening (Money/Us and Them). Maybe it was the G 'n' T drinks. Nicely done here, Justin.

The best part was seeing old friends (Al, Alex, Leeav, Justin, Neil,Frank, Zubin, Clark, PFK, Ti) and meeting new friends (Ori, PatB, Peter, TTVJ guy (Go Cubs)). Good friend, great gear, good Thai food and even a live jam session. Nothing like live music. I enjoyed it all.

Nicely done , Neil.

btw. did you find some cd's left there? Like three of them?

Feb 27, 2006 at 5:37 AM Post #49 of 138
Quote:

Originally Posted by st5150
I can't believe I missed this. Anyone have pictures and more details on this setup?

Grahame showed up late and the only pics I took were of the Squeezebox unit itself. See my post on page 1 with a link to a web page of pics. I also PM'd Grahame to see if he could work himself up to post #2 and to put in his own impressions and a better description of his rig.

Feb 27, 2006 at 9:54 AM Post #50 of 138
A well deserved vote of thanks to Neil for hosting the meet and making it all possible.

Where else could you meet such a group of knowledgeable, enthusiastic and good looking (
wink.gif
) people? And in such great surroundings, and with so much drool-worthy equipment to experience?

Great people, great conversations, great food, great music, transcendent reproduction
orphsmile.gif
, and a jam session with "top flight session musicians" in Neils studio; What a great introduction to the world of HeadFi-ers!

I'm flattered that Voltron described by rig as "The future". Next week perhaps.
Voltron has encouraged me to describe my rig for those of you who missed it.

I tried to make a portable system that shows what is possible. This is essentially the system I have at work, as a free standing network, in a portable form. I can go into more detail, or provide links etc if people are interested.

The Server

This was a laptop - for portability. The important thing here is that it was running SlimServer - the software back-end of the system.

The Storage

A 300GB Maxtor External Drive (on special at Costco when I got it) - containing many flac files - ( They contain the 16/44 music - losslessly compressed - takes up less space than the original - but will produce bit-perfect copies)

The Squeezebox 2

The primary output device. Has built-in flac decoding in firmware. RCA analogue outs, Headphone out, Optical and co-ax digital outs.

The System

An ethernet switch allowed all the parts to talk to each other via TCP/IP, and the system to work stand alone. There was also a netgear WGR101 portable wireless router to let the 770 join in the fun.

The 'Secret Agent' device

A Nokia 770 Internet tablet. Runs Linux. 800x480 touch screen. Built in Wireless 802.11g + Bluetooth. Integrated web browser, video player, mp3 player, headphone out, laser beam; ok, I lied about the laser beam.

The Synergy

The power of a system like this is getting the right bits to the right place at the right time. The Slimserver software can support muiltiple network players at once. Add more CPU grunt, or storage to meet your needs.

The Squeezebox acts as a player in its own right, or as a source for downstream DACS + Amps, of which there were plenty to choose from, and compare at the meet. The Squeeze box has an IR-line of sight remote to control it ( select album, track, playlist etc) - or can be driven by a browser based front end.

Using the Web Based front end - the 770 can act as a touch screen wireless remote. You can also stream stuff from the slimserver to the 770 - allowing it to act as wireless player, that you control via the browser.

This only scratches the surface of what you can do. Both the Slimserver/Squeezebox and 770 have active and enthusiastic communities associated with them. They both have the capability to be useful now, and more are being added all the time. I hope I haven't come across as a "shill".
Together, I think they have a lot to offer from the transport/control side of things. As to the final stages of music reproduction? thats where Head-Fi comes in to round out a solution.

I was gratified that it made such an impression on Voltron.

The Sad Part

Along for the ride was my Rio Karma. It's a 20Gb portable player that plays Flac - gaplessly. It has enough oomph to drive a surprising range of headphones on its own. I finally had a chance to listen to it through various quality headphones at the meet and was suitably impressed. Its docking station has RCA line level outs - and an Ethernet port - so you can organize its files or download more to it. The sad part is that it has been end-of-lifed. I'm waiting for a"son-of-Kama" Sigmatel chipset based DAP (Digital Audio Player) to follow in its footsteps, rather than another white, shiny DAP I could name.

Plus, when I got home, I didn't have an Orpheus to listen with
frown.gif

All in all it was a blast. I look forward to the next one.

Thanks once again to Neil, and everyone else I had the pleasure of meeting, for making me feel so welcome.

Feb 27, 2006 at 11:18 AM Post #51 of 138
Thanks to a lot of people.
biggrin.gif
as always, itwas nice to see a lot of my friends again.

neilvg was a great host (along with his parents). you still need to pay me for that HEV90 to HE60 convertor... Fischer Connectors are expensive.
tongue.gif

NeilPeart was kind enough to give me a ride to the meet, and although there were some interesting occurances on the way over, it was a pleasant ride and I appreciate it much.

raif drove me back, again also greatly appreciated, and while we were at my place we got in that SDS-XLR listening that somehow wasn't available at the meet. I asked PATB to bring his amp, but he kept on making excuses about it not fitting inside his 350Z. hehe.

speaking of PATB, it was nice meeting you finally. you are cool to talk to on the forum, but so much better in person.
biggrin.gif

Volton was kind enough to compare some of my mini interconnects with his nice collection. he wasn't fond of my silver mini cable at the last meet, but apparently we used different equipment or that black techflex I put over the silver cable made a difference, but he seemed to like it more this time. the copper wire IC's seemed to be a hit though.
smily_headphones1.gif
thanks a lot for taking the time out of the meet to compare IC's for me Voltron. I know there were much more interesting things that you could have been doing.
tongue.gif

Iron_Dreamer was great too. he was the only one that was up the whole duration of the meet along with me. with his longer travel time and earlier arrival at the meet, I bet he was up for more than the 30+ hours I was up. we did the same at SoCal a couple years back, and I have to say, meets are the best if they happen for 24+ hours straight. the nighttime / early dawn listening sessions were nice.

utep10 left his tubetester after the meet so I was able to test most of my tubes. thanks a lot Bruce. now I want one of my own.
tongue.gif
they are pretty fun to use. too bad I couldn't listen to your rig though... I should have listened to it earlier.

Grahame's car was quite cool with it's voice activation. neilvg sure seemed intrigued by it (passenger temp 85 degrees. lol). thanks for driving us to dinner.

morsel and amb's DIY section was a blast. thanks for bringing the items. I'm looking forward to the release of the mini-cubed.

Ori, it was nice chatting with you. you roughed it out well into the night, and was the last to leave outside of us blokes that invaded neilvg's place until well into the next day. I doubt if you didn't do that I wouldn't have found the time to talk to you as much as I did.

probably forgetting quite a few... but thank you too.
biggrin.gif

Feb 27, 2006 at 3:46 PM Post #53 of 138
Grahame, I'm bummed I didn't get to meet you, I have the same Squeezebox2 setup at home, streaming flacs from my hardrive in the bedroom down to my 2-channel system downstairs...it's a great solution. And I think we drive the same "voice activated" car too...evil twins?
evil_smiley.gif

Feb 27, 2006 at 5:50 PM Post #54 of 138
Grahame-
Thanks for following up with accurate descriptions of what was going on. I use Airport Express to get tunes to my speaker rig, but there is no way to control it remotely or to see what you are--or could be--playing, you have to pick one AE to send the stream to, not 15 options all at once, as you seem able to do. As I mentioned, my non-audiophile music fan wife read David Pogue's recent column about Squeezebox3 and wants to get it, so who am I to stand in the way of progress?! One more piece of audio equipment to buy, oh darn. Also, that Nokia 770 makes my Universal Remote Control MX3000 look like a piker! Next time show up before 6pm and let more folks bask in The Future, even if it is only Next Week!
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by ayt999
he wasn't fond of my silver mini cable at the last meet, but apparently we used different equipment or that black techflex I put over the silver cable made a difference, but he seemed to like it more this time. the copper wire IC's seemed to be a hit though.

ayt999-
I knew you were going to goon me about that silver cable thing, but it still was a bit brighter and edgier than my taste, and I did guess it was silver and I did say I preferred both of the other cables to it BEFORE you told me it was the same one! Besides, who said I have to be consistent? Nevertheless, I admit it is very resolving and extremely live/fun cable
tongue.gif

Feb 27, 2006 at 6:27 PM Post #55 of 138
I had a great time at the get together Saturday, and really enjoyed meeting lots of people from head-fi. There was some awesome equipment, and a lot of opportunity to check things out and talk with individual owners.

First off, I wanted to thank Neil for providing the venue, and taking the time to set things up. I don't think a meet like this could be run better, and it was amazing how accessible the equipment was, and how easy it was to talk with people, even in the midst of all the gear. Neil, aside from the generous use of the house, thanks for setting up the killer Orpheus system and making it available to listen! I also wanted to thank Tom from TTVJ for the cool T-Shirt - that was a nice surprise, and I'm always psyched to hear Beatle's trivia questions. Sorry there was such a poor showing on the Cubs question, but I was inspired to do some googling and get some Cub's history: The Chicago Cubs

I didn't get a chance to hear everything, I actually ended up talking with people a lot, and time just flew by. With so many interesting and rarely seen headphones and amps I hardly knew where to start. I did listen to a fair number of headphones though, and was able to hear some equipment I've wanted to check out for a long time - the Orpheus system, the Grado PS-1s, Senn 650s, and AKG K1000s. There were a few things I missed - I wanted to hear the Omega IIs and the beautiful electrostatic rigs sitting nearby, as well as the Sony MDR R-10s, but there's always next time - like I said, time went by too fast!

I checked out Raif's set of PS-1s, and they sounded great through his DAC1 setup - I thought they were awesome, so much that I'll be keeping an eye out in the future, although at this point, I'm not holding out much hope - and they'll probably break the bank anyway... I have some RS-1s which I think are great as well, but the PS-1s sounded much better to me. My only complaint on the RS-1s is the brightness, sometimes that over the top liveliness is just want the doctor ordered, but they can sound a little overdone to me - a little too much upper mids/treble perhaps. The PS-1s had none of that overly bright feeling, they kept the liveliness and punch of the RS-1s, but were warmer and smoother.

One thing I noticed - the PS-1s didn't sound quite right through the Headroom Micro Amp setup (desktop module) as they did through the DAC1 - the bass was a bit indistinct and murky through the Micro. I don't blame this on the PS-1s at all, as their bass was warm and tight through the DAC1 system. Also, I don't want to assume the Micro is completely to blame here either - in general I am incredibly impressed with the Micro (I bought one recently after hearing my friend's for the day, and have not regretted it - the Micro drives the RS-1s very well (truly a fantastic match), and also drives my HP-2s fine as well as Senn 580s - so it is possible the input source I was using wasn't feeding the Micro Amp what it needed on the front end so it could sufficiently drive the PS-1s (an iPod 4G with the Red Wine mod, which sounds great, but doesn't put out a lot of voltage, so the Micro might want the full monty from a source component when you stick PS-1s on the other end).

Or perhaps the Micro finally met its match in something that needed to draw a bit more than it could give, and it's just the unfortunate case that the Micro doesn't work with the PS-1s for whatever mysterious reasons cause these kind of things. I almost hesitate to mention this, since there were so many variables involved. With a hotter input driving the Micro, it could be a completely different story. And as I said, the PS-1s were killer through the DAC1. Just killer. On the topic of Grados, I alternate between the pros and cons of my HP-2s, but usually end up back with the RS-1s after each HP-2 fling. I like the midrange and smooth yet detailed sound of the HP-2s, but always feel they are a bit tight in the bass. They have enough bass, but it seems to be overdamped, maybe a bit too controlled. On the other hand, they do so many other things so right. Anyway, I couldn't help but feel that the PS-1s are like the best qualities of the RS-1 and HP-2 combined.

I was digging on Raif's tunes too, lots of material I knew (which made it nice to audition them), plus some good stuff I hadn't heard before. Between some choices from Raif's playlist and some recs from NeilPeart, I've got some good new music to listen to (plus a killer Wooten/Steve Smith video for the iPod from Google video). Thanks for bringing the PS-1s and all the source material - definitely choice stuff.

I listened to some AKG-K1000s through a gorgeous Cary amplifier. I didn't catch the name of the owner, but thanks for letting me spend some time with that setup! I was amazed at how incredibly cool the Cary amp looks (but Cary equipment always looks incredible), and also pleasantly surprised at the size of the headphones - much smaller than I expected from pictures, I expected something gigantic, but they are actually a very reasonable size, and I found them comfortable.

I wasn't able to get a complete impression of the AKG-K1000s, as there was a lot of activity and discussion in the room, something you wouldn't notice as much with closed in cans, but with the AKGs sitting off the ears, a lot of sound was bleeding in. I've been on the fence about getting a pair of these, though, and I heard enough to be convinced to check them out if I can still find a pair online - I like the idea of a headphone that isn't blasting directly into your ears, I think these could be a great complement to full on headphone listening, and some of the cuts I listened to sounded awesome. I might have missed the boat on these, and will probably need to sell the 701s I haven't even received yet to justify a purchase if I find them (not to mention getting an amp for the K1000s, hopefully a Super T Amp will be up to it).

And the Orpheus. Oh man. Pretty mighty. I actually heard these somewhere between 10 and 15 years ago at a Stereophile show up in SF, and they were mind blowing. First off, that amp is one of the coolest things I've ever seen. Talk about art. Whoa. And the headphones sound killer too. I would have liked to check out the Omegas back to back with them, and also compared the 60s with the 90s, but the 90s just sounded so good, I was digging listening to them too much to try and do any comparisons. The 90s were everything I remembered, smooth and lively at the same time. I was lucky that Clarke68 has a great CD to use - some Miles, Monk, Beethoven and Crystal Method - what an awesome mix, and thanks for letting me keep the CD in when I was checking out the cans! A killer variety of different music to get a good perspective on the headphones. Given how much I like Stax Lambdas, and the reputation of the Orpheus, it's probably not a surprise to hear me say the Orpheus system sounded fantastic.

I was psyched to run into LAMark (who I actually know from the real world, having worked together years ago). Mark, the Senn 650s sounded pretty sweet through your rig, and that is an awesome Ray Charles CD you brought along. I hadn't heard the Senn 650s before, and they are everything I expected, smooth and warm, and lots of detail. Senns really seem to nail the soundstage, and although I'm not a dedicated Senn guy, I definitely see the appeal, and they really have some magic with placement of instruments far from the head too. Hearing some of Ray Charle's singing was a highlight too, and that CD definitely showed off the Senn's strengths.

Another highlight was looking at many of the amps people brought in. There was some pretty incredible looking gear. I didn't get to hear a lot of amps, concentrating mostly on headphones (and using whatever amp they were plugged into for the most part), but there was some nice stuff sitting on those tables! I was struck by the incredibly clean internals of the amb amps, I loved the blue lights under the tubes, and the designs looked very slick. The electrostatic rigs looked very impressive as well, I've just got a Stax 313 driving my stats, and at some point I'll be very interested in checking out some of the big amps for them.

On top of all the audio equipment, I'm glad there was a chance to meet some new people and chat about audio, gear, and other related topics. It was great to hang with Mark and Oli and talk about CPU stuff for a while - I hardly ever get to think about that stuff, even though it's probably my favorite tech. Not that I don't love writing code (my day gig), but CPU design is just too cool. Also, enjoyed hanging out with Raif and NeilPeart and talking bands and drummers (I went and checked out Dennis Chambers on dummerworld.com and he's a monster). Hope to run into everyone again at some point!

Thanks again to everyone who was involved helping set things up and bringing their gear, it was a great day. It was also very nice to put some faces (and real names) to the head-fi avatars.

Feb 27, 2006 at 10:48 PM Post #56 of 138
Man, what a meeting!!!
Where do you start? I guess everybody has already summed up all the minute details of what was there and the pics are just awsome, but these are nothing like the "real thing"!
biggrin.gif

Neil - thank you for the great venue. I guess we have to thank your Dad that somehow didn't warm up to the geek stuff we had laying around and finally was able to relax in the HT room...
The gear laying around on the tables was outstanding. Really awsome!
k1000smile.gif
580smile.gif
eggosmile.gif
For myself, I haven't caught up to the networked server-based audio yet, so seeing so many computer-driven setups was mind boggling.
confused.gif
They all sounded absolutely great, with my fave being Grahame's SB2 that was sourcing simultaneously multiple tunes
very_evil_smiley.gif
to the DAC1 node and the MP3-capable Palm. Somebody said it's the future... Well, I saw the future here and now!
One more piece of gear that left a great impression were JCD's DIY speakers. First, the workmanship is superb and the sound - wow!
biggrin.gif
JCD brought a very modest demo system, which really put to shame the Anthems and Paradigms in the HT room. Neil wanted to cry...
My EE hat
evil_smiley.gif
was on for a few seconds... I had a good time talking cables with ayt and discussing with Morsel and Amb about their amps. The amps sounded great and the whole operation is in a true DIY spirit. Kudos to this A-team! Amb's amps are simply modern art. When you see amps like these - why would you even ask about the sound?!
k1000smile.gif

I listened ciritcally to very few of the many great setups. Frankly, it was so noisy, with 30-40 people present in the middle of the day, all really excited about something they see around the room... It was an adult Kindergarten
orphsmile.gif
k1000smile.gif
eggosmile.gif
580smile.gif
icon10.gif
k1000smile.gif
biggrin.gif
eggosmile.gif
biggrin.gif
etysmile.gif
580smile.gif
icon10.gif
, in the most positive and enthusiastic sense... What I'm saying is that the true essence of this event was meeting people and breathing the atmosphere in the room, not the techno detail. That was the highlight for me!
I arrived early - around 10AM - and left well after midnight and I'm glad I did. The best hours for listening were before and after the "excited mob" moved in... It was especially nice to listen to all the gear that was still there after dinner, and those who think the Orpheus sounded great in the middle of the day really don't have a clue what it sounds like at its best... A frightening thought
very_evil_smiley.gif
, if you know what I mean... I did get to play with the R-10 late at night and they sounded a bit tinny at first but opened up big time on one tube amp - a reminder that one should never judge anything audio based on a brief listen. Other than these two, I just "sampled" the different headphones and really had a hard time doing much of a comparison, so I just savored the moment...
We all thank Neil for offering the place, but I wanted to add a big thank you to all those who attended, including a few who drove hours to join their comrades. We had a mix ranging from doctors and financial experts to rocket scientists... Teenagers to nearly-retirees... Computer geeks to old-school vinyl lovers... Without all of you/us, this event wouldn't have been what it was - the "sickest" event of 2006!
k1000smile.gif
k1000smile.gif
k1000smile.gif

So, when is the next one?!

Feb 28, 2006 at 1:49 AM Post #57 of 138
Neil’s house is awesome (I was there before for a brief visit) and he (and Grahame and Justin) are fun guys to jam with. Neil: I’m coming back with some REAL instruments!
wink.gif
It’s always fun seeing familiar faces (Bruce, Frank, Ripley, Al, Clarke, Christina, Ti, Peter, Pat and Garrett) and meeting new ones (Ori, Zdogg and Gordie). Music+Cool People+Nerdy Gear = Fun!
smily_headphones1.gif
Alex, next time remind me to drive SLOWER when the CHP is behind me!!

The K601 really sounded VERY similar to the K701 on the various amps I listened to it. I’m still unsure of its placement among the DT880 and HD650 in my own system. However, the K601 sounds so similar that I’m ordering it to join its AKG/Beyer/Senn relatives (it’s also the most comfortable ‘phone among the K701, DT880 and HD650, IMO). I’m going to audition the K601 and see just how much “better” the K701 sounds after a lengthy audition. Every time I listen to the K1000 I regret selling it…

I discovered some Audio-Technica W series ‘phones can be somewhat fit-dependant. So many people enjoyed the W5000 but I could not understand what they were hearing unless I pressed the cups on my ears. However, even properly fitted the W5000 reminded me of the W2002, another ‘phone I never liked (though it and the W5000 are the most beautiful of the ATs, IMO). I still prefer the L3000 to any other Audio-Technica ‘phone, but I also like the W11JPN (which was not available at this meet) and the W11R is nice as well; I believe I’ve heard every Audio-Technica at this point thanks to ayt999 (except the W10LTD which he doesn’t have yet – or is it the W10VTG – I always confuse the two).

I prefer the HE90 with the HEV90 over the Blue Hawaii, and this applies to the HE60 as well. I still prefer the Omega II with the Blue Hawaii over the HEV90 but longer sessions would be required (this means I'm moving in with you, Neil). The HE90/HEV90 is still my favorite headphone combo though I still enjoy the R10, HD650, HP1000, K1000 and L3000 in their own respective super-systems.

I did enjoy the Lavry DAC, but I was never able to thoroughly compare it to the Benchmark DAC1. Perhaps I’ll give it a shot one day, but I lack the time for such a project these days and a balanced headphone amp should come first…
smily_headphones1.gif

With some exceptions I’ve now heard the final system on my “checklist.” Why do I still return to Head-Fi? It’s the people, stupid!
wink.gif
It’s very difficult to find passionate music fanatics with a nerdy audio streak (the fact that said folks are so intelligent and cool is a bonus). Meets just reinforce the communal aspect of Head-Fi and the strong bonds that music forges. Now I’m ready for the National Meet – see you there!
smily_headphones1.gif

I’ll try to post some pics later…

Feb 28, 2006 at 4:57 AM Post #58 of 138
Quote:

Originally Posted by NeilPeart
Why do I still return to Head-Fi? It’s the people, stupid!
wink.gif
It’s very difficult to find passionate music fanatics with a nerdy audio streak (the fact that said folks are so intelligent and cool is a bonus).

I was mulling over this question today myself...well said!
tongue.gif

Shoot me that PM again if you wouldn't mind...I cleared out my box a bit.

Feb 28, 2006 at 9:58 AM Post #59 of 138
Hey everybody! Well what can I say, it was a crazy weekend. Between setting up, listening, tearing down, and then listening again (and again) to my new system, I think I only got around 4 hours of sleep the whole weekend! AYT and Iron Dreamer can attest to this because they are just as crazy as me! Anyway, I want to thank everyone for coming. Whether it was your first time coming to a meet, or if it was your 10th and your dilemma was choosing which rig to bring, it was my pleasure to serve as host.

The DIY setup that Amb and Morsel brought was especially impressive to me. I don't get to do very much A/B testing and they had a great system by which to compare two of Ti's self-built amps (M^3 vs Dynahi). It also served as a good way to check out the differences between various headphones & headphone cables. Awesome!

It was also a great pleasure seeing the sunroom lit up with so many people and so much equipment! I will unabashedly say that the sight of all that gear was a real turn on! (pun intended)

I was mightily impressed with Grahame's "The Future" setup. Awesome stuff, and worth waiting for all day (literally) to hear. I also got to Rock out with this guy, and I can tell you he's one awesome dude.

Ori: You are one tireless humanoid! Ori from Oritek literally spent the entire day, being one of the first to arrive and one of the last to leave (except for us crazy all nighters). Since the Orpheus had just arrived a few days before, I literally had no experience with what particular setup would be optimal. Ori tirelessly worked with me until we found what I believe to be some real synergy. To be honest, I don't know if it was the new tubes, various power issues, or charging time, but I wasn't "blown" away by the Orpheus when I first heard it. Granted, I'm generally not given to Audiophilia Hyperbolus Overexaggeritis; but I will say that after we did some cable tweaks, some power tweaks, and generally let it charge and burn in all day, the night-time revealed some of the most amazing sounds I have EVER heard out of ANYTHING. I am not kidding, and I think Ori and Neilpeart will back me up on this (I'm sure Utep got a kick out of Neilpeart's and My "double blind" marathon "pass the HE90 stick"-which amp is better? test). I for one can finally say I am now sure I hear what the fuss with the HE90/HEV90 synergy is all about. The amazing thing is, this amp is super picky-or should I say sensitive? I'm not really a firm stalwart of the "must use the best cables (both power and interconnect) club", but honest to God(dess) it made a very palpable difference with this system. Even, gulp, Coax cables seemingly made a difference, much to Neilpeart's disbelief.

I also want to thank Voltron, Crimson Tear, & JCD for their respective contribution to the 'speaker rig contingent'. I too am kicking myself for not getting the vinyl rig connected to JCD's DIY speakers. They sounded awesome. While I think the paradigm speakers have a lot of potential, they are not either 1) right for the room 2) properly amp'd 3) improperly amp'd for the room
evil_smiley.gif
Anyway, regardlessly, it sounded quite good and I am really happy I finally got to hear some vinyl. I can firmly say I understand what some of the hoopla is all about. I want to hear this with headphones!

Zdogg & PatB & Raif: You guys are awesome to talk to! PatB your energy is especially contagious as your passion for all things audio and especially headphones is patently obvious. Zdogg-we should meet up next time I'm in MV. Raif-Login and post damnit! Or just PM me and we'll get some "fresh blood" in the city
evil_smiley.gif

Overall I had a fun time and it made all the setup very very worth it! Hell, if it's going to be like this, I think I see the "headfi international meet" in my future.

I'm Out!
Neil

Feb 28, 2006 at 7:41 PM Post #60 of 138
Thanks Everyone!! Once again I come away from a great meet with the glow of tube bliss and the warm fuzzy all over.

Thanks Neil for your hospitality and generosity. Thanks to your parents too. You have a wonderful family that anyone would die for
biggrin.gif
Thanks for the "O" time too!!

There seemed to be a little less gear swapping at this meet. Everyones rigs were set up, and folks were hopping from station to station. It was really fun to hear dedicated setups for various headphones.

Im HORRIBLE with names, and even worse with screen names... But thanks you ALL for your hospitality and the opportunity to hear all your rigs.

Thanks to IronDreamer. It was nice to finally meet you. I always seem to learn something new from you, despite our different viewpoints and preferences. I had a blast with your SA5k and sifting through all your metal / Prog collection.
Thanks to Neilpeart for letting me spend so much time on your rig. The M^3 is really a great amp for the $$.
Thanks to Wakked1. I really appreciated your laptop / HP3000 setup.
Thanks to blessingx. I spent a lot of time comparing your headphile HF1 to my Grados and I must say Larry does some phenominal work.

Here are some snapshots...

My favorite rig... Made my Grados SING. Singlepower is now on my wish list.

Neilpeart's studly M^3 rig... Holy mother of god, talk about senn HD580 synnergy and detail resolution. Sounded very good with my MS2 too. A little too aggressive for my RS1 and HF1 though. Surely some OP amp rolling and perhaps a more colored source would be my RS1 preference.

Kramers cans and Neilpeart's rig.

Incredible DT880 synnergy too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back