San Francisco Bay Area - February 25, 2006
Feb 26, 2006 at 8:31 PM Post #31 of 138
Quote:

Originally Posted by gshan
Anxiously waiting for K601 vs K701 impressions!
smily_headphones1.gif

And throw in more Mini^3 impressions too please
eggosmile.gif

Feb 26, 2006 at 9:20 PM Post #34 of 138
Just wanted to thank Neil for hosting the meet...what a beautiful home he lives in!

I loved the meet (got to meet some new head-fiers and try out some new headphones I've never heard before) and also hated it at the same time
smily_headphones1.gif
(...unfortunately, now I definitely want an orpheus system too).

Only able to stay a few hours, but all around, a great time!

Feb 26, 2006 at 9:30 PM Post #35 of 138
That's all I can say. There was so much great equipment there I really didn't know what to do. I'm sure I wandered around aimlessly in a daze most of the time. It was great to use/listen to so much stuff that I wouldn't be able to use in real life
basshead.gif

And, of course, a shout out to Neil for the use of this home.. very generous of him and his family.

JCD

Feb 26, 2006 at 10:17 PM Post #38 of 138
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood

Who made this? Such a neat little package.

-Ed[/i]
[/td] [/tr] [/table]

i believe it was rjkdivin who made that. that thing is the peter daniels dac i mentioned earlier. i plugged it into my rotel and a/bed the sucker through the millet and the k701's. it performed miraculously, putting the dac in my rotel to shame (mainly because of the jitter, probably). i'd still rather have the output stage of my rotel, though. maybe i can turn the peter daniels dac into an internal dac for my cd player? i gotta think about that one.

Feb 26, 2006 at 11:22 PM Post #40 of 138
Okay, some impressions from the meet:

M3 vs. Dynahi - I A/b'd these two with a pair of HD600s. Really too close to call on sound alone. If I heard any difference at all, it was that the M3 did slightly (and I mean slightly) better in dynamics. That, of course, makes it an absolute smackdown in favor of the M3, which can be built for about $1000 less.

HE90/HEV90 - I don't think my session with the mighty Orpheus revealed anything you don't already know. This combo sounded nice...real nice. $10,000 nice? Sure, if you have it...for me I'll just really enjoy listening to Neil's whenever I get the chance.

HF-1 - Loved these. My system has a punchy edge to it (which I really like), these took the edge off in just the right way, and maintained (most of) the punchiness. Perfect balance of "tube-like" warmth and "solid state-esque" energy, in my system at least...nice job John Grado. I'm going to get a pair somehow, feel free to PM me with offers if you get the urge to sell!

HF-1 Woodied/C-Padded - Didn't care for these. I compared them directly to my SR-225s (but not to the stock HF-1s, unfortunately), and they took everything I like about the 225s and smothered it in a thick blanket of tepidity.

K-701 - I only listened to these for a short while, but my impression was that these are completely transparent...no sonic coloration whatsoever, at least none that stood out in anything close to an offensive way. If true, that could qualify them for "best dynamic headphone in the world" status, except I found their lack of personality a bit boring to listen to. I'd like to spend more time with them, tho, because I suspect that 'phones this transparent could be ultimately very rewarding, just boring to talk about.

K-601 - Just had a quick audition with these as well. More comfortable than the 701s, harder to drive (posed no problem for the Gilmore Lite, tho, except to overcome the din at the meet, which was quite loud). Sounded like the 701s with the HF and LF extremes tilted up slightly. Probably good for fans of Sony 'phones. I probably would have liked them better with the HF and LF tilted down...but wouldn't that make them K-501s?

JCD's DIY Usher 2.5s - DIY speakers! Headphones are great and all, but speakers are really where it's at. 2 6.5" (I think) mid-woofers and a 1" inch dome tweeter in gorgeous cabinets, driven by a total of about $300 in used electronics (my style all the way!). These are not only JCDs first speakers he's ever built, but they just came together recently and haven't been tweaked yet. For that, they were outstanding...imaging was very solid. He said the bass was a little out of control yet (hey...2 six-and-a-half inchers), but I couldn't really tell because I was unfamiliar with the recording. All I kept thinking was how stoked I'd be to have a pair of these in my living room. JCD should be encouraged, these are plenty listenable right now, but with a little more stuffing and perhaps a crossover tweak, they could be world-class.

Miles Davis Cellar Door Sessions - Not gear at all...but a 6 disc set of funky jams from Miles' club dates in the '70s that Al let me check out. A minute or two into disc 4, Miles lets out a wah-laden riff that's powerful enough to destroy the world. Awesome! Can't wait to get ahold of this box.

Conclusions

Found out that I'm not a tube guy. I completely understand why people like them, but they're not for me. I A/B compared my system to Al's souped-up MPX3 right next door. The MPX3's tonality with strings was definitely better, and performed magic on Emmylou Harris' (slightly sibilant) vocals on Spyboy, but for most of the music I listen to, I just preferred the punchy impact of my system. Maybe it's just what I'm used to, but I think I just really like a headphone system that wakes me up. Heck, I even liked my HD-580s straight out of the DAC1 better than the EarMax Pro (Strogg felt otherwise).

Overall, I left the meet very encouraged & satisfied with how my system sounds. Not the "be all, end all" by any means, and it's certainly not for everybody, but suits me just fine. I'd still like to expand my headphone collection a bit, get some HF-1s in particular, but besides that my headphone rig is done. Now I'm off to work on my 2-channel speaker system!

Feb 26, 2006 at 11:36 PM Post #41 of 138
Quote:

Originally Posted by clarke68
Miles Davis Cellar Door Sessions - Not gear at all...but a 6 disc set of funky jams from Miles' club dates in the '70s that Al let me check out. A minute or two into disc 4, Miles lets out a wah-laden riff that's powerful enough to destroy the world. Awesome! Can't wait to get ahold of this box.

Dude, just what I needed, more upgradeitus...
tongue.gif

Feb 26, 2006 at 11:59 PM Post #42 of 138
k701sign.jpg

This sign was found in the restroom at the restaurant where a group of us had dinner. ayt999 dubbed it the "Do Not Stand on the K701" sign. As good an explanation as any for such a weird sign, and certainly appropriate for the evening.

I only managed to listen to a few headphones and setups while setting up and dealing with my own gear, setting up the vinyl rig with Crimson Tear and Ori, and then talking way too much. Here are some random thoughts from a rather enjoyable but random meet experience:

Vinyl is Cool. We had a good time setting up the old-school QuadraFlex TT with the very nouveau XR-10B phono stage and the ultra-mod closet-full of HT electronics. Very ecclectic. Anyway, we tried some really high-end audiophile vinyl at first, but quickly went for the tried-and-true Dire Straits and Cream. Both sounded good, but when we switched from Ori's incredibly long RCAs to my Crystal Cable XLRs and fed the amps more directly, we did hear a pretty big improvement. In either case, if anyone ever tries to tell you vinyl can't produce low end or top end extension they haven't heard a real vinyl setup. I would have liked to strip down the rig to a more true 2-channel setup and definitely have been kicking myself that we didn't hook it up to JCD's diy speakers, but it was a fun side-show to the headphone focus.

K701 vs. K601. Sorry that I can't offer any great insights on this debate, but the overall consensus with the new copies of each was that the K601 is much more comfortable and the the sound difference is very minimal. However, I only heard the stock K701 for about 2 minutes compared to my K601 that I have not logged a lot of hours on my head. The sound was not dramatically different, but my guess is the K701 has greater transparency and a broader range. I am a firm believer in the power of burn-in, and plenty of people I respect have said the K701 needs a lot of it to open up its potential. Ripley said his had about 100 hours on them, and my K601 have only about 50-60 hours, so neither was sufficiently broken in for me to make big judgments.

HD650s Gone Wild. They were everywhere, and in many configs with cables, and woodies, and foams or not foams, but I am waiting to hear more comparisons and discussions. I had a few people try out RnB180's Grace 52 prototype cable, but in all the fray I did not hear reactions other than PFKMan who agreed with my take that the production model is a huge improvement and a much better direction for Myo to have taken. Good choice Myo!
icon10.gif
I did not hear blessingx's new deep-dish woodies, but I hope to soon when we get together so I can hear the EC-01 and NX-01 some more. [The brief moments with the EC-01 were encouraging for such a low priced amp, but I am really jealous of the Cinnci folks with that gorgeous ZanaDeux. I really want to hear Craig's stuff and it was a shame he was sick and couldn't make it up with some gear. Next time I hope, and I have to assume he will be at the National.]

ayt999's Mini-Mini Collection. This was the sole focused listening effort I managed all day. I told Alex I would give them all a listen as compared to some of my other cables. I used utep10's iPod and Turbo Dock II (which itself compared favorably to my PocketDock) into my SMv3 and Super.Fi 5 Pros. The conclusion? Excellent work on all three I heard, all of which had distinct sound signatures.
k1000smile.gif
One was solid copper cable and was the warmest and most laid-back of the bunch. I really liked the way it worked with the Jane Monheit I used as a reference track. Very clear and clean sound. The other end of the spectrum was his all-silver cable that I also heard last fall. It is the brightest and most up-front of the bunch, but it is very clean and transparent as opposed to "bad" bright. Very live and exciting sound. Last was my probably favorite and it fell more in the middle of the two. It was a thicker copper cable (braided or stranded?) with chunky connectors. Anyway, it had a very pleasing sound that was brighter than the solid copper but not as much in-your-grill as the silver. It also delivered a bigger headstage--more air and more room presence in the vocals. Really good work on all of these cables, and I am hoping ayt999 opens a little shop in Mall-Fi one of these days!
smily_headphones1.gif

Wakked1's Striped, Ported HP3000--Awesome Cans. These are the best work I have personally heard from Headphile. Wakked1 said he worked with Larry to get the sound he wanted and Larry really delivered the goods. They are very distinctive with the striped woods and screened ports, and the sound is really special even compared to the other HP3000 I have heard (and that Wakked1 owned previously). Radiohead really rocked on these cans, through my Prehead prototype but especially on my maxxed MPX3. Really great work on these cans.

King of the World. The Orpheus system was the best, most natural, and engaging system I have ever heard. Obviously, I am not the first or the last to utter such words, but it happens to be true. And I'm with Clarke, that volume nob alone is utterly cool! The HE60 vs. HE90 comparison was funny because the little baby sounds really great through the Orpheus but the Big Daddy just whipped his ass without even breaking a sweat. I failed to listen to the BH sitting right next door, but JCD and I started with the HE60 and HE90 plugged in but quickly turned to both HE90s in the Orpheus. Muddy Waters, Folk Singer made me weepish, and then JCD kept going back and getting different tunes and muttering "That's just not fair" over and over as he tossed aside his own cans. King Crimson's 21st Century Schizoid Man sounded pretty darn amazing. I'm gonna have to make some excuse to drop by Neil's a LOT in the coming months....
evil_smiley.gif
Talk about jealousy, that ES-1 at the NJ meet makes me sad that they were snowed out awhile back because Mikhail might have been convinced to make an appearance for a head-to-head with the Big O. Now that would be something. National meet maybe?

The Future. That is what new Head-Fier Grahame's rig was all about. I will not go into detail because I simply don't understand it all, but he had a laptop working in slim server mode to control his own internet portal which in turn allowed him to stream 300 Gigs (over a Terabyte at home, this was just for going walkies) to, oh, 15-20 different end points using Squeezebox to distribute it all. I know I have screwed that up from a technical standpoint, but basically it meant that you can listen through the Squeezebox itself with its headphone jack or through RCA or digital outputs, and/or you can send a stream to the Rio on a docking station so you can either program it or you can output through RCA outs, etc. etc. etc. When streamed over to a reasonable connection to a good DAC and either headphone or speaker setup this system would be incredible. But the best part of all was the Nokia remote wireless controller, which was UNDOUDBTEDLY THE COOLEST, MOST AMAZING, MOST JAMES BOND-LIKE toy I have ever. I couldn't even tell you half of what it does but it can do a lot through its touch screen and you can even plug in headphones to its mini-jack and listen to anything in that Terabyte of FLAC tunes. Cool, cool stuff. Welcome to Head-Fi Grahame, and sorry that we may have convinced you to buy a better DAC and amp. Oops. It's what we do best...
very_evil_smiley.gif

So, all in all I didn't make that much progress on the path of seeking greater headphone knowledge given how much there was available to learn. Like blessingx, I felt like this meet seemed people-focused and I had a great time seeing people I have met previously and making some new friends. Neil had a great setup for us and he should be commended for the effort and the expense of renting tables, chairs, etc. Thanks again man, and when can I come over again?
eek.gif

Feb 27, 2006 at 1:15 AM Post #44 of 138
Hey gshan, sorry you couldn't make the meet. The differences between the K601/701 in terms of comfort related to the 701's stiffer/harder ear pads and its different headband that has rather hard bumpy pads on the head side that make it thicker and harder but not more comfortable. It is not a night-and-day difference but the 701 seemed overall less comfortable which seemed counter-intuitive. Did you sell your 601s?

Feb 27, 2006 at 1:41 AM Post #45 of 138
Quote:

Originally Posted by Voltron
Hey gshan, sorry you couldn't make the meet. The differences between the K601/701 in terms of comfort related to the 701's stiffer/harder ear pads and its different headband that has rather hard bumpy pads on the head side that make it thicker and harder but not more comfortable. It is not a night-and-day difference but the 701 seemed overall less comfortable which seemed counter-intuitive. Did you sell your 601s?

Thanks for the comparison Voltron. I forgot about the bumpy padded design under the band, and if anything thought it would provide more comfort. Hm, I wonder if people will try swapping the pads on the 701s.

I was disappointed that I was unable to make it to the meet, but glad you guys had a great time. I did sell my 601s but have 701s ordered from Todd, and hoping to get em in 2-3 weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back