San Francisco area meet?
May 20, 2005 at 12:38 AM Post #31 of 44
I see that no location has been determined yet.

I know a reasonable meeting hall in Felton: The Community Hall there. Depending on the size of the crowd, we can use either the large auditorium (2000 sqft plus stage, easily fits 100-140 people), or the smaller meeting room there (about 900 sqft, fits 30-50 people). Tables and chairs and electrical outlets are no problem. If we want to organize some munchies, it has a full catering-style kitchen.

Small problem is: It's not free (even though my wife is on the board of directoris, and I used to be). The weekend rental rate works out to $4 ... $6 per person for a 4-hour rental, a little more for an 8-hour rental. Huge problem: Felton is about 1/2 hour south from San Jose (across Hwy 17, just before Santa Cruz), about an hour from Berkeley, about 1:15 from San Francisco, and arbitrarily far from Marin or Sonoma. Very much not centrally located in the bay area.

More details can be found at http://www.feltonhall.org. If people think this is a good idea (I have strong doubts because of the long drive for most people), I can see whether we can make a reservation for it.

May 20, 2005 at 12:43 AM Post #32 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by treelogger
I see that no location has been determined yet.

Still working on it...I should know more about the San Jose location by the weekend.

May 21, 2005 at 12:28 AM Post #33 of 44
Just had lunch with Sleestack...he's booked us a great conference room in the San Jose Radisson Hotel. It'll hold around 70 people before we have issues with the Fire Marshal, we can get all the tables we need, and there's at least 4 power outlets per wall. Here's the deal:

Where:
Radisson Hotel San Jose Airport
1471 North Fourth Street
San Jose, California 95112

When:
Saturday, August 6 2005
10am - ??? (doors open at 9am for setup)

The Deal
- $10 cover charge. The room is free, but this will go towards paying the hotel staff that will be working the event, kind of like when you eat a free meal you still tip the server. Some additional perks may be thrown in later on...

- Please dress appropriately. The Radisson has other stuff going on that day besides our meet, so wear pants, shoes, a shirt...that type of thing. We'd like to a.) encroach on their business model as minimally as possible, and b.) leave a good impression so we're invited back again!

- If Tyll will have us, the Headroom tour will be in the house!!!

- We need some volunteers to help set up/clean up. The major stuff will be taken care of by the hotel staff, but we'll need some people to help set up and move tables around, make sure all our trash is picked up, etc.

- If you're coming from out of town (or even if you're local) and you'd like to stay at the hotel, PM Sleestack, he can hook you up with a discounted room rate.

- Official thread will be coming soon!

May 21, 2005 at 7:35 AM Post #34 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by clarke68
Please dress appropriately. The Radisson has other stuff going on that day besides our meet, so wear pants, shoes, a shirt...that type of thing.

LOL, a dress code? C'mon, I can't imagine that T-shirt and shorts would be less than acceptable.

May 21, 2005 at 8:53 AM Post #35 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by amb
LOL, a dress code? C'mon, I can't imagine that T-shirt and shorts would be less than acceptable.

I'm not asking you to wear suit. It isn't a Best Western. There is another event going on in the main ballroom and I want to be respectful. Please keep in mind that we own the hotel and every single employee will be aware that I am involved with the event. If Head-fiers want to use the bar or restaraunt, I'd appreciate it if they weren't in beach clothes. Shorts and t-shirts are fine if that is what you are comfortable with. I just ask that everyone be considerate and not wear tank tops, t-shirts that say f@!$ you, etc.

I don't think I'm asking for much. I could always hold a secondary meet at the poolside of our Best Western, to which you are welcome to show up in a wife beater with beer in hand.

May 21, 2005 at 7:09 PM Post #36 of 44
Quote:

Please dress appropriately. The Radisson has other stuff going on that day besides our meet, so wear pants, shoes, a shirt...that type of thing.

I do not submit to dress codes. This meet will be in the peak of summer. Surely we can find a less stuffy place to meet. Requests of this nature make me want to pull out my skankiest tank tops.
evil_smiley.gif

May 21, 2005 at 7:47 PM Post #37 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by morsel
I do not submit to dress codes. This meet will be in the peak of summer. Surely we can find a less stuffy place to meet. Requests of this nature make me want to pull out my skankiest tank tops.
evil_smiley.gif

Do you think we don't have air conditioning? I'm trying to do the members a favor by providing a relatively nice facility for the event. I woudln't call it stuffy by any means. If you really feel the need to be a rebel, you are welcome to show up in whatever you would like. If enough members feel the way you do, I will gladly be an attendee at another location.

May 21, 2005 at 7:58 PM Post #38 of 44
I'm not going to be able to attend this meet unfortunately.

May 21, 2005 at 9:34 PM Post #39 of 44
Quote:

evil_smiley.gif

perhaps it is just me, but I'd rather not see you in a skanky tank top...
let's meet in a place with an even stricter dress code
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 23, 2005 at 7:25 PM Post #40 of 44
Quote:

evil_smiley.gif

a t-shirt is not much to ask. a few hundred years ago you would be beaten for going anywhere in a t-shirt.

May 23, 2005 at 7:41 PM Post #41 of 44
thats gonna be pretty sweet, im way down, should i even bother bringing the gear listed below? i have a feeling ill feel stupid with my portaphile when there is a blockhead or a max balanced sitting across the room. by the way, dress code? im still allowed to wear shorts right? as people who live in santa cruz know, there is little need for pants here.

rj

May 23, 2005 at 7:50 PM Post #42 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by PITTM
thats gonna be pretty sweet, im way down, should i even bother bringing the gear listed below? i have a feeling ill feel stupid with my portaphile when there is a blockhead or a max balanced sitting across the room. by the way, dress code? im still allowed to wear shorts right? as people who live in santa cruz know, there is little need for pants here.

rj

Shorts are fine. There is no dress code. I just ask people be considerate given that their might be a wedding going on in the main banquet rooms. I'll leave it up to everyone to decide whether or not they care, however if someone shows up in a speedo and wife beater I might have an issue.

May 23, 2005 at 7:52 PM Post #43 of 44
May 23, 2005 at 7:54 PM Post #44 of 44
Hey people, let's keep this civilized!

I agree with rhythmdevils and I don't think he's asking too much. Besides, he's doing this as a FAVOR to all of us. And as a host, I think he has the right to make a few simple requests. I don't even think asking people to dress decently to attend a public event is too much.

If you don't feel that you can honor some simply requests from the host, simply don't attend the event. I mean, it's a free country. No one's twisting your arm to show up. And if you want to show up, at least show some gratitute or acknowledgement to the host for the time and trouble they had to go through (volunteerly) to set an event up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back