SAN DIEGO Meet, April 23
Apr 10, 2011 at 3:01 PM Post #181 of 284
Hi friends!  Very important to check the master list and let me know if I have missed you as an attendee.   At this point, I'm betting we will fill up, so I don't want to make a mistake and miss someone who confirmed early.

Please DOUBLE CHECK THAT I HAVE YOU LISTED as this is my registration master-list.  If I missed you, let me know.  If you have gear I didn't note, please drop me a note, as well.  If we fill up, I suggest that the early "tentatives" get first right of refusal on the final slots.  

Looking forward to a VERY fun time, and let's make sure to pitch in for a round for our friends from UE.  There's a bar outside the room on the patio, and if enough people are interested I will see if they will staff it...

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Apr 10, 2011 at 3:09 PM Post #182 of 284
Ruh-oh.  Booze and tubes, here we go.  
eek.gif
wink.gif

Apr 10, 2011 at 4:06 PM Post #183 of 284
ooo LCD-2 with 4 pin XLR?  Finally a fair match to compare to my HE-6.    BTW, I want to setup next to whoever has balanced 4 pin XLR cans
bigsmile_face.gif

Apr 10, 2011 at 6:27 PM Post #185 of 284
Just to reiterate so I don't get peoples' hopes up: I probably won't know if I'm going until the week of the meet.  Thanks UE for taking on the costs, that's awesome!

Apr 10, 2011 at 6:42 PM Post #186 of 284
For "balanced vs. SE" questions, I would simply suggest this:  balanced is a means to an end.  It is not the only way to achieve great sound.  It IS a great way to reduce distortion inherent to class AB amps, but many tube topologies and class A solid state/IC solutions don't have crossover distortion, so the quality of the circuit more prominently becomes the deciding factor.  I've written a few posts about this, I think, for those who are curious (and yes, I've designed a couple of discrete high-power class A and balanced amps...).

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Apr 11, 2011 at 12:35 AM Post #189 of 284

Quote:
For "balanced vs. SE" questions, I would simply suggest this:  balanced is a means to an end.  It is not the only way to achieve great sound.  It IS a great way to reduce distortion inherent to class AB amps, but many tube topologies and class A solid state/IC solutions don't have crossover distortion, so the quality of the circuit more prominently becomes the deciding factor.  I've written a few posts about this, I think, for those who are curious (and yes, I've designed a couple of discrete high-power class A and balanced amps...).

Very interesting...All I know is that balance sounds 10x better than SE to my ears
bigsmile_face.gif

Apr 11, 2011 at 4:08 AM Post #190 of 284
Just bought an HE-4 that i'll be able to bring to the meet :D

Apr 11, 2011 at 4:54 AM Post #191 of 284

Quote:
Can't wait to head down there, first meet.

By the way, it's Magedark, not mmegadark :wink:.

I seem to have developed a stutter...

Apr 11, 2011 at 4:56 AM Post #192 of 284

Quote:
Very interesting...All I know is that balance sounds 10x better than SE to my ears
bigsmile_face.gif

I have balanced gear for my home theatre, but you really can't assume balanced is inherently better.  As one person wrote elsewhere, paraphrasing anyhow, there are many roads to the same end...

Class A can be really awesome, or tubes requiring an output transformer.  And other topologies do well too.  We should A/B the balanced config against my Burson, though as we'll have different cables it's not apple/apple...

Apr 11, 2011 at 6:17 AM Post #193 of 284

Quote:
I have balanced gear for my home theatre, but you really can't assume balanced is inherently better.  As one person wrote elsewhere, paraphrasing anyhow, there are many roads to the same end...

Class A can be really awesome, or tubes requiring an output transformer.  And other topologies do well too.  We should A/B the balanced config against my Burson, though as we'll have different cables it's not apple/apple...

Hmmm that is interesting, although HE-6 sounds much better balanced on my source.

I have listened to the LCD-2 on both my source and the Burson single ended.  Both sources sound very very different.  The Burson is warm, very warm while the NFB-10ES is neutral.  You will have to see for yourself though.

Apr 12, 2011 at 8:05 PM Post #195 of 284

I am bringing my V181 balanced amp with LCD2 with balanced Norse Audio 8 wire cable. True balanced to balanced comparison although I listened to the HE6 on my setup already and have my own opinion on that...
BTW - I am trying to obtain a Violectric V800 Balanced Dac before showtime. Right now I have an Audio-gd Ref5.
Quote:
ooo LCD-2 with 4 pin XLR?  Finally a fair match to compare to my HE-6.    BTW, I want to setup next to whoever has balanced 4 pin XLR cans
bigsmile_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back