Samsung S8 / S8+ Sound Quality
Apr 24, 2017 at 10:52 AM Post #212 of 452
Ok so I've driven myself mad comparing the S8+ with my iPhone 7 Plus. The iPhone headphone adapter never bothered me as much as it has today. My medication hasn't helped today.

Anyway with efficient IEMs both phones sound excellent. Hard to tell which was better. One thing is for sure is compared to previous Samsung phones, the S8 headphone output is a lot better. I have the exynos version. I would call this one a draw.

My main dilemma is the G6 quad dac is so good that I don't want to use either my iPhone or S8+. My wife has been testing the cameras on all the phones. I really thought the S8+ would be better overall, but so far the G6 camera has snapped better shots. It's also easier to unlock too. But like everything is life each phone has its pros and cons. So nothing is straight forward anymore.

I had planned to keep the S8+ to use with the new Gear VR and Gear 360 camera. Not so sure now.

My thoughts on the S8 audio (exynos) is it would be fine/good for most with efficient headphones. It is just not the best for headphone audio out there. But it looks amazing and has a spec sheet like no other phone.

Apr 24, 2017 at 11:18 AM Post #213 of 452
Ok so I've driven myself mad comparing the S8+ with my iPhone 7 Plus. The iPhone headphone adapter never bothered me as much as it has today. My medication hasn't helped today.

Anyway with efficient IEMs both phones sound excellent. Hard to tell which was better. One thing is for sure is compared to previous Samsung phones, the S8 headphone output is a lot better. I have the exynos version. I would call this one a draw.

My main dilemma is the G6 quad dac is so good that I don't want to use either my iPhone or S8+. My wife has been testing the cameras on all the phones. I really thought the S8+ would be better overall, but so far the G6 camera has snapped better shots. It's also easier to unlock too. But like everything is life each phone has its pros and cons. So nothing is straight forward anymore.

I had planned to keep the S8+ to use with the new Gear VR and Gear 360 camera. Not so sure now.

My thoughts on the S8 audio (exynos) is it would be fine/good for most with efficient headphones. It is just not the best for headphone audio out there. But it looks amazing and has a spec sheet like no other phone.

BTW: what is the best source to get Quad DAC G6 here in Europe? Saw some on sale on eBay (UK/DE), but was wondering how the warranty, etc. will work.

Apr 24, 2017 at 11:42 AM Post #214 of 452
BTW: what is the best source to get Quad DAC G6 here in Europe? Saw some on sale on eBay (UK/DE), but was wondering how the warranty, etc. will work.
That is the tricky part. Wondamobile has it but the warranty is based back there so you'll have to send phone overseas. It's a risk.

Apr 24, 2017 at 11:56 AM Post #215 of 452
Congrats eric! That has been my unexpected reaction to my s7 edge ezynos with adapt sound turned on. It's nice to finally have a phone I don't mind listening straight out of!

Please try this: turn off those setting and try the Adapt Sound feature. What kind of a difference is there for you? There's quite a difference for me, but then again my ears are far from perfect lol.

Hello buddy waynes, I did what you asked and there might be a bit more spacing between instruments. The clarity is certainly stunning. I'm doing the the 30 to 60 adapt sound. The bass has a lot of air around it, and great separation between front and backing vocals. I'm listening to Donna Summer and it's a musical feast to my ears. Again, I'm listening with the supplied AKG earphones. I still think they sound better than some here are giving them credit for (I've heard A LOT of earphones). They're not the best by any stretch of the imagination, but some of the best I've heard to come with a phone. 

Apr 24, 2017 at 12:15 PM Post #216 of 452

Hey Gavin long time no see from XDA :)
How are you mate?
So do you think the S8 exynos can drive easily cheap audiophile earphones like the KZ ATES and ZS3? Or the HTC 10 still blows it out of the water?
And do you think the upcoming HTC U 11 will be a bad choice as we will have to use the USB C to 3.5mm adapter?

Apr 24, 2017 at 12:45 PM Post #217 of 452
Hey Gavin long time no see from XDA :)
How are you mate?
So do you think the S8 exynos can drive easily cheap audiophile earphones like the KZ ATES and ZS3? Or the HTC 10 still blows it out of the water?
And do you think the upcoming HTC U 11 will be a bad choice as we will have to use the USB C to 3.5mm adapter?

Hi there. I'm recovering from an unexpected hospital trip. Otherwise ok. You?

I imagine those headphones will be ok, but the HTC 10 will still blow the S8 out of the water. The G6 quad dac is better than the HTC 10.

The HTC 11 is rumoured to have removed the jack. Not ideal.

Apr 24, 2017 at 4:36 PM Post #219 of 452
Hello buddy waynes, I did what you asked and there might be a bit more spacing between instruments. The clarity is certainly stunning. I'm doing the the 30 to 60 adapt sound. The bass has a lot of air around it, and great separation between front and backing vocals. I'm listening to Donna Summer and it's a musical feast to my ears. Again, I'm listening with the supplied AKG earphones. I still think they sound better than some here are giving them credit for (I've heard A LOT of earphones). They're not the best by any stretch of the imagination, but some of the best I've heard to come with a phone. 
Put some foam tips on then, and see how they go...

Personally, I think they're phenomenal for an in the box pair of IEMs - this from someone who has a pair of JH Layla's, and - a loan pair of HiHiMan RE2000s - these plucky little AKGs hold their head up - damned high.

Apr 24, 2017 at 4:55 PM Post #220 of 452
Don't know what I'm missing here, but I really don't find the G955F bad at all...

I'd be happy to stop taking iPhone 7 Plus and DFR with me on my commute.

I actually spent most of yesterday using this, with the bundled AKG earphones (with CX500 tips), on buses and out on the road, and I have no complaints at all.

Sure I'll end up in the minority here, but I don't buy the whole critical listening from a smartphone thing.

Also, I'm puzzled by the comments versus the G3, right off the bat, I found that to have the most under powered, limp sounding output of any handset I've owned.

Horses for courses I guess.

Edit : one thing I really like, the LED case for the S8+ allows for music control by touching the LED section, something that the same case for the S7 cannot do ~ a good improvement.

While I only have the Snapdragon here to compare and not the Exynos, I agree with you. I think sources are especially difficult for me to notice massive improvements on in general, but I have no complaints about the S8. On my sensitive IEMs, I hear ZERO hiss whatsoever (better than some of my dedicated DACs in fact) and the volume with IEMs is just fine. Sound quality sounds perfectly fine to me, given that it's a phone. My iPhone 7+ seems like a pain in the @** now with the stupid dongle. I made the decision to get the S8 because I think it's the best phone this year, but I was prepared for audio to be lousy. I am pleasantly surprised. 

I have the quad-DAC G6 coming too because I love gadgets, so we'll see how they compare. I'm really loving the S8 so far though. 

-Collin-

Apr 24, 2017 at 11:03 PM Post #221 of 452
Got my S8(Exynos) yesterday and tested it with HD650. Well, its loud enough, sounds definetely better than S7. I will test my old Sony EX700 later,too much emotions for now. Poweramp alpha v704 works fine on S8.

Apr 24, 2017 at 11:06 PM Post #222 of 452
The supplied AKG earphones sound pretty decent after some EQ and a couple hours of burn in. Too much bass, especially midbass without any EQ. A small cut at 4k helps to make them sound a bit less in your face as well.

Apr 25, 2017 at 12:12 AM Post #224 of 452
Can you try poweramp v704 on your S8(snapdragon i guess) Hi-res output is available?

Im not 100% sure i was using v704, but the samsung music player sounds better and navigates better than the version of poweramp i was trying for the past 2 days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back