Samsung S8 / S8+ Sound Quality
Apr 25, 2017 at 1:36 AM Post #226 of 452
I bought an S8. After the LG V20, your voice is worth nothing, it is recommended for maximum MP3. :frowning2: Cirrus dac / amp is very cheap.

But with a LG HiFiplus B & O, HighGain has the perfect sound quality. Of course I understand. It's no coincidence that the LG G6 has only QUAD DAC in the korean box office market. With 20 million pcs of Samsung at $ 20 (dac/amp) ...business .. :)

Apr 25, 2017 at 2:10 AM Post #227 of 452
I bought an S8. After the LG V20, your voice is worth nothing, it is recommended for maximum MP3. :frowning2: Cirrus dac / amp is very cheap.

But with a LG HiFiplus B & O, HighGain has the perfect sound quality. Of course I understand. It's no coincidence that the LG G6 has only QUAD DAC in the korean box office market. With 20 million pcs of Samsung at $ 20 (dac/amp) ...business .. :)
I will agree the B&O DAC is good, if a little warm, but that lousy way it is plugged into the G5 (prone to disconnections) and the truly hideous battery life are major detractors...

Would be interested in seeing the battery stats of the G6, to see how they've improved things...

As an aside, which version of S8, snapdragon or exynos?

Apr 25, 2017 at 2:33 AM Post #228 of 452
I will agree the B&O DAC is good, if a little warm, but that lousy way it is plugged into the G5 (prone to disconnections) and the truly hideous battery life are major detractors...

Would be interested in seeing the battery stats of the G6, to see how they've improved things...

Battery life of the LG G6 over the LG G5 is chalk and cheese. My G5 battery would often need recharging during the day. Ironically, android 7 on the G5 made a big difference to battery life, mainly the standby time. The G6 is getting me a proper day's use every day.

Apr 25, 2017 at 8:37 AM Post #229 of 452

European, so exynos.
It's hot, especially in HighGain, if I use it as a separate module.

Apr 25, 2017 at 10:59 AM Post #230 of 452
I'm obviously taking retrograde steps here with the S8+, I've purchased a pair of Audio Technica ANC40BT earphones... They go against everything I've ever told myself about music on the move, yet they're strangely OK.

Won't set any new levels in audio fidelity, but for out and about, fine enough
smily_headphones1.gif

I bought the S8 with the 256GB and AKG Y50BT (on-ear bluetooth headphones). I was planning to sell the headphones because I didn't think I'd use them, I have T50-RPs and some multi-driver Xioami IEMs, I decided to try them out. Comfy and sound decent!

Apr 27, 2017 at 10:43 AM Post #231 of 452
The included AKG earbuds are heavily over-emphasize bass. I couldn't stand it for a minute after listening with my Xiaomi triple drivers this morning.

If you listen to music at low volume, the S8 is a bit noisy. Have the Fiio X1 for comparison.

Apr 29, 2017 at 4:06 PM Post #233 of 452
Are you guys using the Adapt Sound feature or no? I can't tell if it does a good job simulating an amp or if it is just coloring the sound a lot. What about UHQ upscaler?

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2017 at 9:41 AM Post #235 of 452
Hi, I'm using my S8+ with the AQ Dragonfly Red and Onkyo HF player app.

Each time i plug the DFR, there's a popup notification saying "Allow the app to access the USB device....". I've set the Onkyo app as the default player, but still keeps getting the popup everytime i plug the DFR.

Anyway to disable the popup permanently? Thanks

May 1, 2017 at 4:52 AM Post #236 of 452
Going a bit weird here, but really like the HiFiMan RE2000 and S8+ together... ignore YouTube on this image, good for the train journey, normally listening to FLACs :)

Pah! You'll have to imagine it as I've got the security alert thing when trying to upload images!

As an aside, to the poster saying the included earphones are bass heavy, wow! I don't find that at all, nothing wrong with that assertion, but you must enjoy a very lean sound.

May 4, 2017 at 1:29 PM Post #237 of 452
As a minor retraction to my last post, the sub bass these AKG earphones can kick out whilst plugged into the S8 is nothing short of phenomenal!

So far away from the traditional AKG house sound as to be laughable...

All in all I'm incredibly happy with this out of the box set up (Exynos)

May 5, 2017 at 9:24 AM Post #239 of 452
The S8+ is about 80% of the volume of the HTC 10. Both rooted and V4A, fully charged and using the MDR100AAP and the Z7 as the test.

The S8+ comes very close to the 10 but just falls short in the overall power output. Sound quality also goes to the HTC as it sounds punchy and entertaining. The S8+ is kinda lacking in dynamics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back