Samsung S10
Mar 8, 2019 at 5:55 AM Post #46 of 270
As you will appreciate, it will depend greatly on your ear/headphones & synergy between the two.

Only just set phone up so only have Spotify on at the minute but based on initial 10-15 minute listen of various tracks (classical, rock, pop, smooth) I can't believe what I'm going to say...…..

Initial feeling only with my SE846's is that bass is more defined with a more impactful kick, clarity is sharp and it sound really musical. Far to early to make a judgement yet but its all positive for me at the moment. I'm also noticing good space/separation and sound stage is decent (with some pones there isn't any!).

Wow, that sounds promising.Thanks!

Hope there're more listening impressions before deciding if I should take the plunge!

Mar 8, 2019 at 8:28 AM Post #47 of 270
Now also tried UAPP plus also have the MQA license and both Tidal MQA plus my own (single) MQA file plays perfectly and sounds great. Shows MQA direct play with green dot or blue for MQA Studio masters. Seen both 88 & 96 files.

The Samsung Sound Assistant App also works perfectly with UAPP & Spotify for many more volume steps so all good.

With my few DSD UAPP shows Direct 176.4kHz File DSD 2.8 1bit so is converting DSD to PCM ? FLAC HD files play perfectly too.

Based on my initial listening I've no problem putting the V30 in the draw and using the Exynos S10+ 512GB (+Samsung EVO 512GB microSD) as my music source. Best phone I've had so far based on limited time with it.

Screenshot_20190308-134019_USB Audio Player PRO.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2019 at 2:41 PM Post #49 of 270
Now also tried UAPP plus also have the MQA license and both Tidal MQA plus my own (single) MQA file plays perfectly and sounds great. Shows MQA direct play with green dot or blue for MQA Studio masters. Seen both 88 & 96 files.

The Samsung Sound Assistant App also works perfectly with UAPP & Spotify for many more volume steps so all good.

With my few DSD UAPP shows Direct 176.4kHz File DSD 2.8 1bit so is converting DSD to PCM ? FLAC HD files play perfectly too.

Based on my initial listening I've no problem putting the V30 in the draw and using the Exynos S10+ 512GB (+Samsung EVO 512GB microSD) as my music source. Best phone I've had so far based on limited time with it.

yes this sounds promising, have you tested with the sen HD660S ?

Mar 8, 2019 at 5:39 PM Post #51 of 270
Mar 8, 2019 at 5:51 PM Post #52 of 270
Anyone have a Snapdragon model in their hands or on the way?

Mar 9, 2019 at 5:22 AM Post #53 of 270
Now just tried my Fiio BTR3 LDAC BT DAC/AMP and sounds fantastic. LDAC has done wonders for bluetooth audio.

20190309_090404.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2019 at 10:44 AM Post #54 of 270
Did a bit more testing the audio comparing the excellent V30+ Quad DAC to my new Exynos S10+.

Used my premium Sony cable (£100ish) with my SE846's and found a Studio Master MQA file and A-B compared the two. I couldn't tell the difference !! It likely won't be the same with all ear/headphones as the V30+ will drive more demanding headphones much better.

If I'm being extremely picky you can just hear a tiny amount of background hiss in near silent sections of music with the S10+ while not with the V30+ (only of concern with high sensitivity earphones such as the 8ohm SE846's and you really need to be listening for it). Others will also likely be able to hear differences more than me too.

Listening test with no sound quality settings & Atmos off.

Technically, the V30+ with its built-in MQA hardware can resolve to higher quality as it does both unfolds while the S10+ with Tidal or the UAPP app only does the first unfold.

As shown in two images, the S10+ plays back at 96 while the V30+ at 192.

S10+

Screenshot_20190309-153017_USB Audio Player PRO.jpg

V30+
Screenshot_2019-03-09-15-30-27.png

Note: The hiss with SE846 is so tiny its not really worth even mentioning.

* First MQA Studio Master I could find (Blue dot shows in UAPP instead of green) :D Fortunately my musical taste is vary varied.
No coloured dots for the V30+ as MQA is passed straight to V30+ MQA hardware decoder.

. . . . .

I'd have hoped for much more feedback from others by now :triportsad:

Final comment, DSD's sound poor compared to native playback from Chord Mojo or Hugo 2. Never heard DSD's as good on anything compared to the Chord's.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2019 at 5:39 PM Post #56 of 270
S10+Q sounds decent out w/UHQ Upscaler via Tidal HIFI. Of course my AK SP1K sounds better but for portable use like the gym, I can listen to it.

I am impressed with the Galaxy Buds, a thousand times better than the airpods and isolates with ambient sound capabilities. Sound is actually half decent after a good seal and some EQ'ing.

Mar 9, 2019 at 5:52 PM Post #57 of 270
Qualcomm S10e here. Btr3 stutters badly with Ldac 990kbps bitrate. 660 is fine, tho. I'm dissapointed.

No issue like that with my Exynos version but then I just had option to select LDAC when I linked the BTR3 so not bothered going into developer settings so not sure what bitrate its using.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2019 at 7:48 PM Post #58 of 270
No issue like that with my Exynos version but then I just had option to select LDAC when I linked the BTR3 so not bothered going into developer settings so not sure what bitrate its using.

With Qualcomm S10e, Btr3 is working fine if I just simply connect it. But when I set the bitrate at 990 under developers options, problem arises. I would really like to know if this happens to Exynos S10 too.

Mar 9, 2019 at 8:50 PM Post #59 of 270
With Qualcomm S10e, Btr3 is working fine if I just simply connect it. But when I set the bitrate at 990 under developers options, problem arises. I would really like to know if this happens to Exynos S10 too.

Yes, my exynos S10+ also faced this problem.

I had to turn off GPS to lessen stutters and make the connection more stable. I think this is normal. I had to do this with other phones I used to own too. From my past experience, turning wifi off also helps.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2019 at 12:43 AM Post #60 of 270
Yes, my exynos S10+ also faced this problem.

I had to turn off GPS to lessen stutters and make the connection more stable. I think this is normal. I had to do this with other phones I used to own too. From my past experience, turning wifi off also helps.

Thank you for testing. Disappointed to hear this. I was thinking to switch to Exynos. My previous phone, Mate 20, works normally. It even remembers my 990 setting without the need to revert it back again. However, the big brother Mate 20X stutters at 990, too. I wonder what the problem is.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back