Samsung mp3 players quality
May 18, 2010 at 6:43 PM Post #16 of 24

Quote:
Samsung plays FLAC!!! Which do you guys think has more detailed sound, P3 or Cowon S9?

I had both and I think the P3 sounds more - natural. The S9 sounds somewhat technical. I once owned the K701 and they, too, sounded technical imo. If that helps. The interface on the S9 is far better than the p3's though. I am currently considering getting rid of my p3 just for the interface. And regarding FLAC: I tried to play some FLACs through my P3 and the results were rather bad. The ttle information wasn't displayed, i.e. the title information for the previous track was still up and the music hung after a few seconds. Only a reboot could fix this. I suppose FLAC support is not exactly mature on the P3.

Jun 2, 2010 at 1:00 AM Post #17 of 24

Quote:
I had both and I think the P3 sounds more - natural. The S9 sounds somewhat technical. I once owned the K701 and they, too, sounded technical imo. If that helps. The interface on the S9 is far better than the p3's though. I am currently considering getting rid of my p3 just for the interface. And regarding FLAC: I tried to play some FLACs through my P3 and the results were rather bad. The ttle information wasn't displayed, i.e. the title information for the previous track was still up and the music hung after a few seconds. Only a reboot could fix this. I suppose FLAC support is not exactly mature on the P3.

I'm just wondering if anyone knows if Samsung would make a firmware update to fix this FLAC tagging problem or not?

Jun 2, 2010 at 1:08 AM Post #18 of 24
My TF10 made the decision for me between my X and P3.  I've realized that P3 cannot properly  drive headphones like TF10.  Also, I've noticed that P3 sounded tad analytical compared to the X.  I discovered that P3 needs an amp with some IEMs, although it doesn't sound bad when the phones are driven properly(RE0, although some people may disagree).  I like the sound and the FLAC compatability of P3, but don't like that fact that it is underpowering some good phones.    

Jun 2, 2010 at 2:30 AM Post #19 of 24
Samsung P3 and Q2 sound the same. P2 is slightly different. I found Samsung's sound is easier to ears, when I want to listen my music for a long period of time, I use Samsung. Sony X sound very exciting, I love it, it just isn't relaxing enough for long hours of listening.

Jun 2, 2010 at 7:46 AM Post #20 of 24

Quote:
I found Samsung's sound is easier to ears, when I want to listen my music for a long period of time, I use Samsung. Sony X sound very exciting, I love it, it just isn't relaxing enough for long hours of listening.

Yes, I've always thought Samsung sound is "less digital" than others (I know it's a bit insane use this words) but it's what I feel when I listen to my M1 (I used/owned P2, P3, Q1, Q2, R0).
I owned Sony X, and it has really good sound, but too much warm for me, I need a bit more of "airy" sound.
Some people say Samsung's sound it's a bit too much "post-processed" sound, maybe it's true, but to my ears, easy, and exciting sound.

Jun 2, 2010 at 10:58 PM Post #21 of 24

The S9 doesn't support AAC though right?  That could be a deal breaker for some.  If you have encoded a lot of music in AAC, the switch to another codec could be quite painful. 
Does the P3 support AAC?
Quote:
The P3, Sony x1000 and S9 are pretty much equal. People will say one is better depending on personal preference.
I had the P3 and loved it intensely, it did sound better than the fuze I have now. One thing to consider is that the S9 has gapless on some MP3 formats (not too sure which) and it might get rockboxed one day.

Jun 3, 2010 at 4:21 PM Post #23 of 24

Quote:
The S9 doesn't support AAC though right?  That could be a deal breaker for some.  If you have encoded a lot of music in AAC, the switch to another codec could be quite painful. 
Does the P3 support AAC?

As it stands now, i do not believe the p3 supports id3 tagging for FLAC or AAC. Whether Samsung decides to fix this in the future or not, however, is  beyond me.

Jun 3, 2010 at 10:29 PM Post #24 of 24
i dont know about the newest firmware of P3, but when i saw the changelog of newest firmware for M1, it is said that the ID3 tag error is fixed, even though i doubt the cover album bug for FLAC file is fixed (this is the bug that i hate from Samsung player)

The new firmware 1.29 
Official changes:

- Fix the ID3 tag error for some OGG/FLAC files
- Fix the sound error when set the Audio Upscaler of DNSe
- Fix the rebooting error when delete the some files on the device

Users who are viewing this thread

Back