Samsung Galaxy S3 to and external DAC/amp or use internal DAC
May 29, 2013 at 1:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

trippinonprozac

Head-Fier
Just got a pair of ATH M-50's to use for portable audio and I am trying to work out if its best I just use the internal DAC and run a mini-jack out to something like a Fiio E12 or should I get a combined amp/dac that is compatible with the S3?

I hear the DAC is fairly good in the S3 (I have the international version) so maybe I should get a better amp and use the standard DAC?

May 29, 2013 at 1:45 AM Post #2 of 38
Just got a pair of ATH M-50's to use for portable audio and I am trying to work out if its best I just use the internal DAC and run a mini-jack out to something like a Fiio E12 or should I get a combined amp/dac that is compatible with the S3?

I hear the DAC is fairly good in the S3 (I have the international version) so maybe I should get a better amp and use the standard DAC?

The internal DAC is pretty bad I think. It may be more worthwhile for you to get an external DAC/amp.

May 29, 2013 at 1:47 AM Post #3 of 38
Mine is the international version which has the Wolfson DAC. Its not too bad at all to be honest. I am sure there is plenty better out there but I am wondering if I will find a single device that will give me better audio quality for under $200??

May 29, 2013 at 1:50 AM Post #4 of 38
Quote:
Mine is the international version which has the Wolfson DAC. Its not too bad at all to be honest. I am sure there is plenty better out there but I am wondering if I will find a single device that will give me better audio quality for under $200??

I'm not sure but if you are willing to spend $200, your best bet would be the Fiio X3. It has a good WM8740 DAC chip that is used on the $1400 AK120. The amp section is dedicated as well. Other's say that it is basically a improved version of the E17. 

May 29, 2013 at 7:49 AM Post #5 of 38
Quote:

The internal DAC is pretty bad I think. It may be more worthwhile for you to get an external DAC/amp.

i have to agree i found my s3 to be pretty awful, i even felt going from the s3 to a ipod touch 3g the improvements were major over the s3. mabe yours is better? my expierence is just not that.

May 29, 2013 at 7:52 AM Post #6 of 38
From what I understand the international version has the Wolfson DAC however the US version has a lower spec non Wolfson.

May 29, 2013 at 8:51 AM Post #8 of 38
I agree. I have the international s3 with the wolfson chip and the sound quality isnt the best.

My ipad1 has better quality. I always dismissrd the ipad (I dont know why) until one day I hooked up my iems and my bh amp to it. Much better quality on the ipad.

May 29, 2013 at 5:39 PM Post #9 of 38
You can probably take my comments with a grain of salt because I'm using an iBasso DX100.

May 29, 2013 at 6:48 PM Post #10 of 38
Quote:
You can probably take my comments with a grain of salt because I'm using an iBasso DX100.

Where did you source the IBasso from in Aus mate?

May 29, 2013 at 7:27 PM Post #12 of 38
Quote:
So, what kind of cable does one use from the S3 to, say, an amp like a Pico Slim or RSA Shadow?  I'm assuming some USB > mini.  That right?

Yeah I believe so. Most use a usb mini to usb adapter so you can then you can use you standard charge cable from that to the amp/dac.

May 30, 2013 at 2:30 AM Post #14 of 38
Thanks for your help. I ended up pulling the trigger on a Practical devices XM6. Should have it tomorrow. Its got upgraded opamps too :)

May 30, 2013 at 2:34 AM Post #15 of 38
I highly recommend getting an external DAC for the S3. I have the US AT&T version and I use a FiiO E07K with it. Also for anyone that's wondering, iBasso makes a short patch cable that connects directly to the USB DAC from the USB port on the S3. YOu can get it here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-Mini-B-to-Micro-B-Android-4-0-Above-OTG-cable-4-5-inches-By-iBasso-Audio-/111036655521?pt=UK_MobilePhones_MobilePhoneAccesories_MobilePhoneDataCables_JN&hash=item19da4ce7a1.

That is the best cable for the job and it took me forever to find the right one. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back