Samsung Galaxy S Sound Quality
Jan 11, 2012 at 2:15 AM Post #106 of 257

Quote:
Hm, I always found that a bit scary. The problem with custom roms is that there's so many outdated docs, stickies and whatnot everywhere. You think you found a solution, only to read in some other article, that the combination you'd have tried is out of date and will brick your phone etc. That's why a really direct pointer from people, who have done it, is helpful. I don't trust all that varied info anymore, hard to filter out the most actual combinations that work. I'm usually someone who just tries things out, been with linux since version 0.99, but with so many warnings about bricking everywhere, I hesitate :)

Note that you do *not* need to install a custom rom.  You need to unlock your bootloader, and install su (for root access)  This is different than a custom rom.

Jan 12, 2012 at 10:33 PM Post #108 of 257

Quote:
Sorry on a stock phone it does need to be rooted.  You can head over to forum(dot)xda-developers(dot)com/forumdisplay(dot)php?f=665 to search how to root on 2.2 and/or install custom roms.

I ended up rooting SGS Froyo 2.2 it with Odin using the relatively simple method described here: http://www.ithinkdiff.com/how-to-root-samsung-galaxy-s-with-android-2-2-1-froyo/

It went fine and I really enjoy the sound :)
Close

Jan 15, 2012 at 6:27 AM Post #110 of 257
Onecosmic's ICS 4.0.3 ROM is great! Very flawless, only thing I dislike is the shorter battery life compared to DarkyROM v10.22.
SGS Doctor's ICS ROM has a parametric EQ. Sounds great but I haven't tried it yet..

Jan 28, 2012 at 5:27 AM Post #111 of 257

Quote:
Onecosmic's ICS 4.0.3 ROM is great! Very flawless, only thing I dislike is the shorter battery life compared to DarkyROM v10.22.
SGS Doctor's ICS ROM has a parametric EQ. Sounds great but I haven't tried it yet..

Does this Onecosmic ICS has Voodoo Sound, Voodoo Color and Voodoo Lagfix?? Can it do digital lineout to an amp? Or is this a feature of ICS?

Jan 28, 2012 at 7:08 AM Post #112 of 257
It doesn't have Voodoo Lagfix. It has EXT4 lagfix IIRC, but it's not Voodoo. 
It has both Voodoo Sound and Color. You just need to download both, IIRC.

No, it can't do USB audio out to an amp. Only double-amping is possible.

Quote:
Does this Onecosmic ICS has Voodoo Sound, Voodoo Color and Voodoo Lagfix?? Can it do digital lineout to an amp? Or is this a feature of ICS?

Feb 4, 2012 at 8:46 AM Post #113 of 257
I recently bought myself a Samsung Galaxy S WiFi 4.0 (YP-G1) after giving up on the WiFi 3.6 model. I flashed the ROM and kernel with STeVEs custom ROM and kernel for SGS WiFi 4.0 and installed Voodoo Control Plus. What a vast difference this makes on the SQ. The sound is much better now than before. I was wondering if anyone who installed STeVEs ROMs and kernels had problems with accessing SoundAlive function of the SGS's stock music player. I can only get the 7 band EQ but not the 3D stereo, Bass boost, Concert and Clarity functions as before as they have disappeared.

Feb 15, 2012 at 9:56 PM Post #114 of 257
I know that this is a bit off-topic, but what about the Galaxy Nexus? That is, in terms of SQ, how does it fare against a Voodoo-enabled i9000? I've had my SGS since around August 2010, and I bore with its lagginess and general lack of capability until the official FroYo ROM came out in the Philippines. The first time I rooted it (around 8 months ago?), I flashed Darky's 9.5 ROM and experienced Voodoo for the first time.To be honest, this phone was what dragged me into the world of audiophilia, weird as that sounds.

Anyway, I ended up trying a bunch of custom ROMs, but ended up sticking with Darky's. Two months ago, I had to send in my phone for repairs, and it came back with a stock Gingerbread ROM. I've stuck with it since then, since I was worried about eventually bricking my phone. Yeah, it almost happened once, the first time I tried flashing a custom ROM :))

I'm thinking of getting a new phone, though, since my i9000's a little long in the tooth now (hope I used that phrase correctly; English is my second language). So, if the SQ of the Galaxy Nexus is as good as that of the i9000, then I might seriously consider getting a unit.

Though I'm also thinking of waiting for the quad-core superphones to make their appearance... 

Nah. That'd give them two more cores than my PC, and that might make things awkward when figuring out which device to use :p

Feb 23, 2012 at 5:17 AM Post #115 of 257
How does Galaxy S with Voodoo compare with Sony Walkman S-series (such as NWZ-S639)'s sound?
Is it a significant upgrade?

Feb 29, 2012 at 3:18 PM Post #116 of 257
It blows away most anything I've compared to, much better than an ipod, imho. Two apps to look for - neutron and google's new audio app. I assume you already have the newest Voodoo app. If you root your Samsung (which you must for voodoo) and use one of the mods (I use cyanogen), the batttery lasts for a very long time. Incredible phone/mp3 player.

Feb 29, 2012 at 4:54 PM Post #117 of 257
Yeah, i found a broken screen one for cheap. Rooted it and loaded the paid version of Voodoo (Voodoo Sound Plus, doesn't require flashing rom or kernel), and use poweramp on it. Sounds pretty good, though slight hiss with some headphones.
(Btw, if your rooted android device's touch screen is not fully responsive, you can still control it via a computer using this tool: http://code.google.com/p/androidscreencast/)

Feb 29, 2012 at 7:54 PM Post #118 of 257

Quote:
It blows away most anything I've compared to, much better than an ipod, imho. Two apps to look for - neutron and google's new audio app. I assume you already have the newest Voodoo app. If you root your Samsung (which you must for voodoo) and use one of the mods (I use cyanogen), the batttery lasts for a very long time. Incredible phone/mp3 player.

What's the name for google's new audio app? O_O Does it support USB audio yet? 

Mar 1, 2012 at 1:54 AM Post #119 of 257
I have a galaxy note (N7000) which has a same cpu brand with galaxy sII (sorry not s).
I tried several headphone on the phone directly just for fun. The softs I choose are Rock and AMP, Here is a list:
K701                      What I am thinking about, any sound, yes, barely there...
HD600                   I have to say, a little bit better than K701, but, forget about it.
HD650                   Forget about this too.
Denon D7000        Shock me at first, sound beautiful, clear, pure and total acceptable till I met Karajan, I stand for about 10s then give up. However, I think                         samsung has some potential in low-re headphone. Maybe ATH-ESW9A will be a choice.
Westone W4         This one is amazing,  I used this double 4 units buds on my C4, my ipc, my phone and my cd player, without any amp and dac, it never fail me. I have to say, if you choose the right soft, the sound come out from the phone is pretty good. U will not have any complain about it when you use it outside. U will not listen to the music from your phone at home right?

Mar 1, 2012 at 7:29 PM Post #120 of 257
Galaxy note 4.0 has Wolfson DAC.  Galaxy note 5.0 does not.

I've bought 4 different phones recently with the wolfson dac from craigslist.   here are my findings.... 

The best 2:  Both of these are AWESOME with Voodoo Control.  This setup rivals just the phone with voodoo control + 0db amplification and my Trends PA-10 tube amp.  On its own it drives my DT880 250ohm very well (in my opinion).  I am wondering how much better it can sound than this....

Sprint Samsung Galaxy Nexus S - maybe a tiny bit louder than the Epic below. 
Sprint Samsung Epic 4G (not the Touch....the one with full slider keyboard)

The ones that are good, but for higher impedance headphones you'll want to add more pre-amp from poweramp or get an app like Volume+ to give you even more volume and drive.  They still sound amazingly clear and all, just don't have as much power as the first 2....

T-mobile Galaxy S Vibrant
Verizon Galaxy S Fascinate

I believe all of these have the same Wolfson dac in them....8994?   It's probably just the power settings somewhere

I'm about to buy a Galaxy Tab 7" for my dad.  I'm hoping that'll sound just as good as all of these. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back