Samsung Galaxy S Sound Quality
Sep 25, 2011 at 12:59 AM Post #61 of 257
Hiya, 

Personally own the international i9000 and am using voodoo sound with it, currently using shure 115s. Was considering making a switch to 535s or similar, but was wondering if the phone has enough power to drive them. I don't want to carry around an amp, so was hoping someone might have prior experience with it?

Sep 25, 2011 at 6:14 PM Post #62 of 257

Quote:
Hiya, 

Personally own the international i9000 and am using voodoo sound with it, currently using shure 115s. Was considering making a switch to 535s or similar, but was wondering if the phone has enough power to drive them. I don't want to carry around an amp, so was hoping someone might have prior experience with it?

I don't have any prior experience with it. However, you could try calculating it. Use  . My phone (Samsung Infuse with Voodoo) has a max hardware output of +5 dB. You can work out the math by looking up the specifications, etc.

But, I just searched up the model you want and it looks like its in-ear. Usually those are designed to not need an amp at all since they are very efficient. So, my opinion: it's enough.

Edit: Here's another thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/535986/shure-se535-is-there-a-need-for-an-amp

So, the Voodoo app will be good enough!

Sep 26, 2011 at 5:38 AM Post #63 of 257

Quote:
I don't have any prior experience with it. However, you could try calculating it. Use  . My phone (Samsung Infuse with Voodoo) has a max hardware output of +5 dB. You can work out the math by looking up the specifications, etc.

But, I just searched up the model you want and it looks like its in-ear. Usually those are designed to not need an amp at all since they are very efficient. So, my opinion: it's enough.

Edit: Here's another thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/535986/shure-se535-is-there-a-need-for-an-amp

Thanks for the suggestions!

I've already looked up the specifications, and on paper it looks to be fine and good:
wolfson wm8994 DAC for the galaxy S, which has a total power output of 6mW, 
shure 535 has a sensitivity of 119dB SPL/ mw, impedance of 36 ohm

My father (who listens to hifi rather than headfi) though told me that at least for speakers/their amps the technical specifications are often off, and usually overdeclared.
Also, the sensitivity for speakers varies across frequencies, so it's very possible that there will not be enough power to drive them at particular ranges, rather than generally.

Google couldn't find me any practical tests of the specifications, so just wanted to see if anyone's actually tried the actual combination, since phones (until recently) tended to suck at audio playback.

Sep 27, 2011 at 11:56 PM Post #64 of 257
I just had the chance to a/b voodoo sound.  (I work with phones for a living and I broke my main nexus s screen)  First time through, it took me too long to get voodoo going so no chance to a/b. 

This time however, I had a case where I just had to reenable the driver and I played before and after.  Also, I picked up a replacement phone, and played them side by side, with and without.  The new phone with voodoo (still not burnt in) is considerably better than the old phone with it off.

Voodoo sound makes a heck of a difference in quality.  (Listening with UM Miracles)

Quote:

I find the SQ to be quite nice. It's better with the voodoo I think but without a real way to A/B it's hard to tell since I didn't have too much of a problem with it before. I use the sgs with either of my customs so in that sense the phone is still the limiting factor but I can't carry around the dac/amp system I have when I am at home.

It doesn't sound too far off from the J3 but I sold that a few weeks ago after using the sgs so I would say they are both similar if you run things flat or close to flat but the EQ system on the J3 is quite nice as is the battery life. The HM601 is on another level in terms of SQ. It's the best portable source I've owned but battery life issues compared to the J3 which I also had at that time made me sell it.

Sep 28, 2011 at 7:41 PM Post #65 of 257

Quote:

Are you using a custom ROM on your Infuse for Voodoo? I am using one with a voodoo kernal and I'm just wondering if I really need that Voodoo control app or not? Are there any settings I'd need in there or should I just focus on EQing and such with PowerAmp?

Sep 29, 2011 at 12:43 PM Post #66 of 257
I bought Voodoo Control Plus...still won't work on my Galaxy S...(/SCH-1500) or my Galaxy Tab. I get the message: "Module needs to be loaded" and "Superuser is not available". Guess I'm not able to play Voodoo Control Plus.  What exactly do I need to do...(can someone please explain in steps....).  ?

Hello,

I have a Sansa Clip+ and a galaxy S voodoo (powerAmp player).
Yesterday I test the 2 of them with my earphones.

Results :
Galaxy S is the winner and there is a big difference !!!! Amazing because I'm very happy of the Clip sound.

For all people that need help to do it, you need to take a look at Galaxy S forum.
There's the little tuto :

- Install last rom
- flash the CFRoot for rooting your phone
- flash a voodoo kernel like Semaphore or Darky (Darky has an entire ROM)
- install Voodoo control (the free one)

Curio did an amazing work for the GS

Oct 7, 2011 at 5:58 PM Post #67 of 257
As their attorney, I advise people who are still afraid to root! root! (particularly Samsung Epic owners) to use Clockwork Mod to slap froyo silly and install Bonsai while their phones are still gibbering puns. 

I myself have flashed a few flashier ROMs, but Bonsai seems the stablest and smoothest to use to transition from stock Ben and Jerry.  It also adds the Voodoo kernel and allows for Head-fi members' obsession with tweaks, since the developer is rather enamored of his earspeaks, too.

Yoo-hoo, Voodoo Yousers:  If you haven't done so already, look for HD amp in your shortcut menu and drop it on your topdesk.  Selecting it brings up the display for Voodoo Control's headphone amp volume and allows you to adjust it on the insect.

The other must-auricle enhancement for the Galaxy S1 is, In My Incredibly Humble Opinion, a recalcitrant little wang by the handle of Neutron.  It is without ?-tion the best-sounding music player I've plied so far, and it shreds and pirouettes upon the concave forehead of Poweramp, Rockbox et al., Al, with its sound-engineer UI and various audiophile-courting options, which work in tandem with Voodoo real swell, dadyo.  Other music players try to be iTunes' geekier sis, but Neutron does not give a Friar Pluck about your sheeny-shiny graphics or your frou-frou phew-phew library organization.  Its pixelated faderworld is utterly obsessed with sonic options and little else (daughter of Elsa Little, and stop gaping at her tiny shoes).

Oct 9, 2011 at 6:29 AM Post #68 of 257
the better inprouvment i had on an android device was to use cyanogenmod7 integrated DSP manager..
as this DSP is " linked " with the OS kernel the sound was better than an EQ application over the native sound decoding application.
i had a blade rooted on cyanogenmod7, now an galaxy gio , waiting for an stable cyanogen for it...

Nov 11, 2011 at 5:08 AM Post #69 of 257
According to the official thread, the latest voodoo sound is v10.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=806195

But which ROM contains v10??? It seems to me Darky ROM only has v6

Nov 11, 2011 at 12:43 PM Post #70 of 257
I finally flashed it with Darky 10.2.2 ROM with Touchwiz 4.0. I find that its Voodoo driver is v10, so I think I am on the right track.

So what do I do now to get the best sound? Just set volume to the max and then adjust the amplifier to whatever dB I feel best as instructed by the official Voodoo thread???

Should I also rockbox the phone? What does rockbox do???

Nov 11, 2011 at 9:30 PM Post #71 of 257

Quote:
I finally flashed it with Darky 10.2.2 ROM with Touchwiz 4.0. I find that its Voodoo driver is v10, so I think I am on the right track.

So what do I do now to get the best sound? Just set volume to the max and then adjust the amplifier to whatever dB I feel best as instructed by the official Voodoo thread???

Should I also rockbox the phone? What does rockbox do???

No need to rockbox. Install the FREE Voodoo control app. You do not need the paid version because you already have a voodoo kernal. Don't mess with too much in the voodoo control app though. Maybe increase headphone output level if you're using hard to drive headphones. But from there I would leave all the EQ to whatever music player you pick. Try out PowerAmp, it has a two week trial period and has great EQ capabilities.

Nov 11, 2011 at 11:01 PM Post #72 of 257
Thanks for your reply. Is the phone now powerful enough to drive HD650??

I find this test but I don't know how to interpret it

http://dl.project-voodoo.org/RMAA/repoSUBMITrts/nfb-12-galaxys-voodoosound-load-hd650.htm

Nov 12, 2011 at 7:38 PM Post #75 of 257
"Acceptably" is a very loose term :) I'd assume it'll drive the HD650 to acceptable volume. While my knowledge on the subject is very limited I'm pretty sure volume isn't everything in amplification. Those cans simply weren't designed to run through a portable source. Any portable source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back