Samsung Galaxy S Sound Quality
Jun 28, 2011 at 3:37 PM Post #31 of 257

Quote:
i have been playing and following project voodoo since it began and they are now at version 5.5.3. It is essentially a kernel that applies a lagfix specifically for the samsung galaxy s. apply that with darky's rom you have yourself one of if not the best built in headphone amplifier! The application is configurable. I use the stock samsung music player which has an equaliser and listening modes. It is sensational.. why? ** voodoo uses the wolfson WM8994 headphone amplifier code stack. contact me if you need more info! enjoy!

Careful using Darky's stuff if you have Verizon. I toasted my Samsung until I found a way to fix it but it was a scary week.

Jun 28, 2011 at 3:40 PM Post #32 of 257
Look more into Voodoo Control Plus and the Wolfson WM-8994 codec? I have a Samsung Galaxy S phone (Fascinate) loaded with Android 2.21, phone is rooted, with Voodoo Control Plus and Neutron Audio player. The Voodoo app has a headphone boost, negating the need for an external amp. Works unbelievably well and sound quality as good as anything out there, IMHO. 

Look for deals on the Samsung phone in July, esp if you have a BJ's Wholesale in your neck of the woods. I saw a  buy1 get 1 free deal for the very old Samsung Fascinate.

Jul 11, 2011 at 4:21 PM Post #33 of 257
I'm loving my Galaxy S (Darky's ROM 10.1, Voodoo lagfix + Voodoo Control + PowerAMP) more as a DAP than my iPod classic. 
I'm using an AKG K141 mk.II. The iPod has no faults besides one obvious disadvantage of being underpowered for the K141, compared to my onboard desktop sound card / home receiver and Galaxy S, resulting in distorted bass in nearly every EQ setting (besides Flat/less bass setting) in any song with prominent bass (pop/rock/dubstep). It also brought out a lot more detail. 

Jul 30, 2011 at 4:47 PM Post #34 of 257
I have Galaxy S I9000 + Voodoo Control Plus, Cowon J3, Sansa Fuze + Rockbox and Ipod nano 4th gen.

I compared all of them with different earphones (Earsonics SM3, Brainwavz M2, Sunrise X-cape impressive ed.), different file formats (FLAC and 320 kbps mp3) and different music types (rock, metal, classical and pop). I can't make a detailed review or comparison result for now. But i can say that my best choise is Galaxy S + Voodoo + Rockbox player + Earsonics SM3 + FLAC format. This combination has an excellent sound quality for me. Espacially for rock and metal music which are my favorite music types. It sounds really detailed, clear, balanced, enough bass and very powerful (exactly no need an amp). I used many music player applications for Android such as Poweramp (I think it sucks), Winamp, SGS stock player etc. But i think the best one is Rockbox player exactly. It is unstable port, is not user-friend so much but nevertheless, it sound excellent and really satisfies.
I use my SM3v2s generally, but i prefer M2 sometimes to get more bass. 

And my rankings for the others :
2. Cowon J3 : Plays really very clear and great but needs an amp and a detailed eq setting. The max volume is not so high. The best side of it is the eq really works great.
3. Sansa Fuze + Rockbox : Volume is enough no need for an amp but doesn't sound so detailed as the Galaxy S or J3.
4. Ipod nano : Just forget it after the others.

I will get sflo2 soon. Maybe it will be better than Galaxy S for me, i don't know for now. Just i will see when i get it. But Galaxy S is my best PMP now. 

Quote:
I've been using the voodoo sounds for a several months already. It is absolutely amazing just after a new kernal. Plus POWERAMP

But honesty, how does it compare to what other people use ? (those sansa+ rockbox/ipod touch LOD/Cowan j3?)

and does it make it much difference if I plug an external amp on it?

Aug 2, 2011 at 12:01 PM Post #36 of 257
Aug 2, 2011 at 11:59 PM Post #38 of 257
hmm for some reason voodoo says it doesnt work on my phone even though it is a sgs..

Aug 4, 2011 at 2:08 PM Post #40 of 257

Quote:
The SGS sound quality is superb.
Voodoo is a must. If you don't won't to mess with kernels and rooting your phone then pay 4$ for the Voodoo Control Plus. 

I bought Voodoo Control Plus...still won't work on my Galaxy S...(/SCH-1500) or my Galaxy Tab. I get the message: "Module needs to be loaded" and "Superuser is not available". Guess I'm not able to play Voodoo Control Plus.  What exactly do I need to do...(can someone please explain in steps....).  ?

Aug 4, 2011 at 3:57 PM Post #41 of 257

Quote:
I bought Voodoo Control Plus...still won't work on my Galaxy S...(/SCH-1500) or my Galaxy Tab. I get the message: "Module needs to be loaded" and "Superuser is not available". Guess I'm not able to play Voodoo Control Plus.  What exactly do I need to do...(can someone please explain in steps....).  ?

Have you rooted your SGS?

Aug 4, 2011 at 5:20 PM Post #42 of 257
Only Voodoo Control Plus isn't enough for Voodoo sound on SGS. Your kernel must be loaded with Voodoo sound driver and must be a superuser for it. You can't get Voodoo sound if you have a stock firmware and kernel. You must use custom kernels such as Supercurio or Darky. You can see the availability of Voodoo at "Kernel Module Options". There are parameters such as driver version, device name, kernel version and superuser permissions on that page. All the parameters must be green to enable Voodoo sound module. You can search forums about custom SGS firmwares and can find much and detailed subjects written about this. 

Quote:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back