Samsung Galaxy S 4
Jun 9, 2013 at 10:47 PM Post #76 of 233
I tested the E17 with the GS4 Verizon variant. It works well out of the box. Also, USB Audio Recorder works just fine with high res files. Unfortunately, there is interference from the GS4 that the E17 picks up, even when the USB OTG cable is removed. Wifi noise, 3G and 4G noise occur. The noise is strongest when attaching the devices back to back. With airplane mode enabled, the noise is diminished, but a popping sound is getting through to the E17 still. The noise essentially disappears when the devices are moved away from each other.
The Galaxy Note 2 only shares the Wifi noise at point blank range, and no noise occurs when no data is transferred. The Note 2 therefore is a better match for the E17 than the GS4. However, the GN2 won't work with the E17 without USB Audio Recorder to my knowledge.

For those guys planning on using the S4 with E17, I suggest considering whether you plan on making a portable stack or not.

Jun 9, 2013 at 11:02 PM Post #77 of 233
I didn't hear any 3g noise, but i did hear some faint wifi noise. didn't test with 4g yet. 

Jun 10, 2013 at 4:38 AM Post #79 of 233
Quote:

And the money shots! USB audio out to an E17 to a modded T50rp.

glad it works for you too...posted in the USB / DAC thread that the Fiio E17 can work 24bit/96khz but sadly you had to use the USB Audio Recorder pro...just searching for a good player that can play higher bit tracks

Jun 10, 2013 at 6:05 AM Post #80 of 233
When using sensitive IEM's I just use the S4's headphone jack, but when I want to use my T50rp I need the E17. The wifi noise is very faint and just barely audible when the music is paused, there is no way it would interfere with my listening while music is playing. I did not detect any 3g noise at all with them. Have yet to test in a 4g area, since my house is a 4g dead zone. It's good with 3G, so if it is also quiet with 4g then that's perfect, because at home I wouldn't the S4 with big cans anyway, I have my laptop for that.
Quote:
Using sensitive IEM is pretty easy to tell.  I figure that with larger cans, its not so much of an issue. 

Jun 11, 2013 at 9:03 PM Post #82 of 233
Quote:
Battery seems good considering that the screen is huge and 1080p and the phone has 4g lte and a quad core 1.9ghz processor. I don't have any flac files on mine, just mp3 and aac on a 32GB sd card. Battery life is good when using IEM's at about half volume. Haven't really used it much with OTG, just enough to test it and know that it works. The headphone out is just fine with my IEM's.

So how many hours of playback time are you getting via hp out?

Jun 11, 2013 at 9:24 PM Post #83 of 233
I have no idea. I only use it for music for about 30-45 minutes a day on my lunch break.
Quote:

So how many hours of playback time are you getting via hp out?

Jun 12, 2013 at 12:51 PM Post #85 of 233
Alright, if you get a chance just charge it up, plug in your phones and time playback time.

not sure that ill ever get to test it. But im sure using the headphone out at about half volume or so with the screen off would yield good results. I dont think music playback should really drain the battery much more than standby alone.

Jun 14, 2013 at 12:14 AM Post #87 of 233
I've just been burning in a new pair of Grado SR60i's using my Galaxy S4. I'm playing 320kbps mp3's in winamp at max volume which is slightly above comfortable listening levels with these headphones. I'm on 4G with push email and weather updates enabled and i've seen it drop 4% in the first hour so battery life would seem to be quite good under normal listening conditions. The biggest battery drain is always the screen so minimizing how much its on will increase your playback time. Samsung rate music playback at 62 hours but i imagine thats with all wireless connections and the screen turned off. I'll do a flac test soon to compare with these results.

Jun 14, 2013 at 11:33 PM Post #88 of 233
Anyone knows if a CM or AOSP Rom that has USB DAC drivers enabled. I love the speed of those roms but am stuck with touchwiz due to USB DAC alone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Jun 15, 2013 at 9:24 AM Post #90 of 233
When google releases the stock s4 will we be able to flash the stock firmware onto our s4's?

I don't see why not. It's the same hardware.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Users who are viewing this thread

Back