Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Sound Quality
May 2, 2015 at 9:41 AM Post #556 of 756
I am wondering, has anyone compared holding in hand a note 4 vs a huawei mate7 ? i mean, samsung has better hardware by far, but dissipates heat less efficient, due to it being all made of plastic, and note4 ui is much more "Packed" as it comes, so mate7 could be faster than it.

May 2, 2015 at 9:45 AM Post #557 of 756
  Good news for me is that all sounds can be played through USB to my Nano. Bad news is that so far Lollipop seems to kill my battery...

Which version of Lollipop. I found that in Lollipop 5.0 on my Note 3 the GPS burns through the battery like crazy. When not using navigation I change the Location  Mode setting to "Power saving" and it got much better. When using "High Precision" I could see constant GPS activity in the status bar. I'm hoping that a future update will bring back the superb battery life from Kitkat 4.4.4.

May 2, 2015 at 9:55 AM Post #558 of 756
I tried sending a mail to Samsung support about USB audio issues in Android 5.0.1. They told me to check with the DAC maker if it's supposed to be compatible
confused_face.gif

Well, as the Onkyo DAC supports AOA 2.0 and there is no new iteration of this protocol, I do not see any reason for incompatibility with Lollipop.

We will see what will be their next answer...

May 2, 2015 at 10:19 AM Post #559 of 756
  Which version of Lollipop. I found that in Lollipop 5.0 on my Note 3 the GPS burns through the battery like crazy. When not using navigation I change the Location  Mode setting to "Power saving" and it got much better. When using "High Precision" I could see constant GPS activity in the status bar. I'm hoping that a future update will bring back the superb battery life from Kitkat 4.4.4.

I have 5.0.1 and at first  the GPS was burning like crazy but it settled down. I would guess it will be quite awhile before we see 5.1 on the Note...

May 2, 2015 at 10:22 AM Post #560 of 756
  I have 5.0.1 and at first  the GPS was burning like crazy but it settled down. I would guess it will be quite awhile before we see 5.1 on the Note...

Some of the Nexus devices already have 5.1.1 
mad.gif

May 2, 2015 at 10:25 AM Post #561 of 756
  Some of the Nexus devices already have 5.1.1 
mad.gif

Ya they are google phones. But Samsung has so many other phones they are trying to get onto lollipop that they have no current 5.1 development going on...

May 4, 2015 at 2:36 AM Post #562 of 756
  Good news for me is that all sounds can be played through USB to my Nano. Bad news is that so far Lollipop seems to kill my battery...

What model Note do you have? I have an N910G (Australian / SE Asian Snapdragon model), and while I used to get sound over USB with 4.4 (just poppy and clicky) now under the Australian 5.0.1 ROM I get no USB sound support at all.

Are you Exynos or Snapdragon? Do you know the letter variant of your model? (It's in the About Device page in settings)

I tried sending a mail to Samsung support about USB audio issues in Android 5.0.1. They told me to check with the DAC maker if it's supposed to be compatible
confused_face.gif

Well, as the Onkyo DAC supports AOA 2.0 and there is no new iteration of this protocol, I do not see any reason for incompatibility with Lollipop.

We will see what will be their next answer...

Is your case like mine, where support clearly WAS there, because it used to work with my specific unit, and now it doesn't, or are you trying to connect to the DAC for the first time? If you told them it was working with the old version but isn't under 5.0.1, I wonder what their reply would be?

Plus, you can find similar issues reported as far back as February, so this issue seems to exist on multiple ROM versions of the Lollipop update. If shabta's unit is working without going through UAPP, then it's the only one I know of that's confirmed to have working USB audio after upgrading. I doubt this is a simple as Exynos units are working, Snapdragon aren't. though. I suspect it's more likely some regional ROM releases work, and others don't. We need more data to form a picture.

May 4, 2015 at 3:26 AM Post #563 of 756

What model Note do you have? I have an N910G (Australian / SE Asian Snapdragon model), and while I used to get sound over USB with 4.4 (just poppy and clicky) now under the Australian 5.0.1 ROM I get no USB sound support at all.

Are you Exynos or Snapdragon? Do you know the letter variant of your model? (It's in the About Device page in settings)

N910F SnapDragon... Good luck!

May 4, 2015 at 4:25 AM Post #564 of 756
  Is your case like mine, where support clearly WAS there, because it used to work with my specific unit, and now it doesn't, or are you trying to connect to the DAC for the first time? If you told them it was working with the old version but isn't under 5.0.1, I wonder what their reply would be?

Plus, you can find similar issues reported as far back as February, so this issue seems to exist on multiple ROM versions of the Lollipop update. If shabta's unit is working without going through UAPP, then it's the only one I know of that's confirmed to have working USB audio after upgrading. I doubt this is a simple as Exynos units are working, Snapdragon aren't. though. I suspect it's more likely some regional ROM releases work, and others don't. We need more data to form a picture.

I have the Snapdragon variant and, of course, it did work (not well because of pops and slowdowns, but I had sound) on Android 4.4.4.

May 4, 2015 at 9:31 AM Post #565 of 756

I have the Snapdragon variant and, of course, it did work (not well because of pops and slowdowns, but I had sound) on Android 4.4.4.

That is really weird. I never had any pop and slowdowns on mine in 4.4.4 kinda makes you wonder what else Samsung is doing...

May 4, 2015 at 10:53 AM Post #566 of 756
Originally Posted by zroter 

Originally Posted by shabta /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That is really weird. I never had any pop and slowdowns on mine in 4.4.4 kinda makes you wonder what else Samsung is doing...

It's also possible that zroter has all sorts off applications running in the background that are using too much CPU.

May 5, 2015 at 4:58 AM Post #567 of 756
  N910F SnapDragon... Good luck!

Weird. And I just installed Hiby Music Player and that's not working either. Unplugged from the DAC, it makes no sound through the phone's speaker but the files "play" (little analyser icon next to the playing file animates, and track position progresses), but if I plug the DAC in that animation stops ann the play/pause button no longer reacts to touching. I get little toast notifications pop up saying "USB device connected" and "USB Ddevice disconnected" when I plug and unplug the DAC with Hiby installed (didn't get these without it, under 5.0.1 my phone and DAC stopped seeing each other at all), but when I actually plug it in the above happens; no sound and frozen playback interface controls (and no reaction on the DAC display). There's also a pop up asking to allow the app to use the "USB device" (not clear if it means the Note 4 USB hardware or the device just connected), but it also says something about setting Default Programs in Settings, and if yo go there there's no USB device to be configured.

So now I'm really confused. I thought Hiby had it's own USB driver like UAPP and was expecting this to work. Wish I'd tried it under 4.4 too. :/

May 5, 2015 at 5:24 AM Post #568 of 756
I thought about a way to incorporate external DAC options into a music app for smartphones. I am wondering if it is not present in an already existing app.

I do not know if i am allowed to say this, but i think i can incorporate a solution to this problem in my works. I should be able to repair all problems with most post 4.4 smartphones, not only samsung, but i am waiting to see how i can advertise my works any futher without contradicting the site's rules.

May 8, 2015 at 7:58 PM Post #569 of 756
  Ok, so we agree that the Lollipop upgrade probably broke USB audio on the Note 4
confused_face.gif

I have the Aus Note 4 and upgraded to Lollipop a few weeks back. USB audio with my Oppo HA-2 is working for me. I can use it with all music apps however I get small clicks/pops etc unless I am in flight mode. Hiby is very unreliable now though since updated to 5.01. I have to constantly disconnect/reconnect for it to finally kick in and not do the freeze thing. Did work flawlessly for me on Kitkat.

May 9, 2015 at 3:34 AM Post #570 of 756
I got a response from the Samsung client service saying that I shall look for the next firmware upgrades, they shall solve the incompatibility and they are sorry for the inconvenience.

I don't know if this is just a generic response or they are really acknowledging these issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back