Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Sound Quality
May 1, 2015 at 11:28 AM Post #543 of 756
  Hi,

I have an Onkyo DAC-HA200, which works well with my PC but never worked seamlessly with the Note 4:

- On Android 4.4.4, I noticed frequent drops and slowdowns, regardless of the sound application used (native application, Deezer, Qobuz, ...). The effect was like when you slowdown a vinyl record for a short period of time (so the pitch changes randomly, it is quite annoying)
- On Android 5.0.1 (just updated today), no sound at all, though the USB peripheral seems to be recognized. I also tested the DAC with an S6 Edge and had the same problem so I suspect Samsung's implementation of USB audio in recent firmwares.

Does anyone had issues using the Note 4 with an external DAC?

I have an N910G (Australian version). We finally got our OTA update a couple of days ago, and I'd been waiting excitedly for it since Lollipop was supposed to add native sample-rate output support. With 4.4, my Note 4 worked over USB with my desktop DAC (Yulong DA8), but only at the fixed 48KHz output pre-Lollipop Android allowed. It really didn't sound very good, strangely hollow and with random clicks and pops that wouldn't repeat if you rewound the track and played it again. I don't know if this was the fault of the enforced sample rate conversion and/or the quality with which it was being done, or a problem of some sort with my particular unit, or what, but I was looking forward to Lollipop narrowing things down for me.

Welp, after updating, USB audio doesn't work at all. The DAC and phone both behave like they aren't plugged into each other, neither seems to notice the other. I really wanted to plug it in and see that "44KHz" come up showing my music was finally escaping unmolested, so it was a real let down to see nothing happen at all. Now, this apparently works fine with Nexus devices running 5.0.x, so it seems Samsung has to have specifically removed or disabled this feature in their implementation of Lollipop. What, Samsung? Why give us a feature in the shipping phone, then turn it off at random? Especially when many competitors have it working, and leaving it in place doesn't cost you anything? (And surely removing it must have? So why?)

I use my Note 4 with the IFI Nano iDSD. It sounds AMAZING. With a 128gb micro sd, I have no interest in a DAP. 

Just asked a similar question in the Oppo HA-2 thread as I am about to upgrade my Note 4 to Lollipop. Got a reply to say someone with S5 is working fine on Lollipop with the DAC. I'm about to the bite the bullet and hope for the best!

I'm not sure if the above will affect your decision to upgrade to 5.0.1, but I certainly wish I'd known beforehand.

May 1, 2015 at 11:33 AM Post #544 of 756
Hard to understand why Sammy does a lot of what they do... Was going to get my girl an S6 Edge, but learned there is no removable battery or SD card slot... One of the best features of Sammy.

May 1, 2015 at 11:38 AM Post #545 of 756
Ok, so we agree that the Lollipop upgrade probably broke USB audio on the Note 4
confused_face.gif

May 1, 2015 at 11:45 AM Post #546 of 756
I can't say for sure, but I wouldn't doubt it. They maybe be aware of of and fix it in a future revision, I'd probably bet on that. The first rollout usually comes with some things borked.

May 1, 2015 at 11:46 AM Post #547 of 756
Hard to understand why Sammy does a lot of what they do... Was going to get my girl an S6 Edge, but learned there is no removable battery or SD card slot... One of the best features of Sammy.

They did that to make it appeal more to iPhone owners. :c Never mind that they simultaneously turned away from all the customers who'd been buying their products only because those features existed. The lack of either of those alone is deal-breaker for me, so if the Note 5 shows up similarly sealed and non-expandable, I won't be buying it.

If it weren't for OLED displays, I'd have switched to another, more developer and customer-friendly brand like HTC et al, ages ago.

May 1, 2015 at 11:50 AM Post #548 of 756
I hate to say it, but I won't upgrade to the Note 5 either if that's the case. I could deal with no SD card, I'll spend more for the memory, but removable battery is a deal breaker for me. Shame because Sammy phones are all I've had now for close to a decade.

Not sure what my other options are at this point, may wind up going back to IPhone if this is the case. Going to be unhappy since I love the Note series. I almost bought the 6+, but stayed faithful and went with the N4...

May 1, 2015 at 4:57 PM Post #549 of 756
I have an N910G (Australian version). We finally got our OTA update a couple of days ago, and I'd been waiting excitedly for it since Lollipop was supposed to add native sample-rate output support. With 4.4, my Note 4 worked over USB with my desktop DAC (Yulong DA8), but only at the fixed 48KHz output pre-Lollipop Android allowed. It really didn't sound very good, strangely hollow and with random clicks and pops that wouldn't repeat if you rewound the track and played it again. I don't know if this was the fault of the enforced sample rate conversion and/or the quality with which it was being done, or a problem of some sort with my particular unit, or what, but I was looking forward to Lollipop narrowing things down for me.

Welp, after updating, USB audio doesn't work at all. The DAC and phone both behave like they aren't plugged into each other, neither seems to notice the other. I really wanted to plug it in and see that "44KHz" come up showing my music was finally escaping unmolested, so it was a real let down to see nothing happen at all. Now, this apparently works fine with Nexus devices running 5.0.x, so it seems Samsung has to have specifically removed or disabled this feature in their implementation of Lollipop. What, Samsung? Why give us a feature in the shipping phone, then turn it off at random? Especially when many competitors have it working, and leaving it in place doesn't cost you anything? (And surely removing it must have? So why?)

I'm not sure if the above will affect your decision to upgrade to 5.0.1, but I certainly wish I'd known beforehand.

Well it would have made me think twice if I had seen this 4 hours ago. I just upgraded. Good news though, I just tried to play thru uapp and ifi Nano. Works fine.

May 1, 2015 at 5:30 PM Post #550 of 756
Well it would have made me think twice if I had seen this 4 hours ago. I just upgraded. Good news though, I just tried to play thru uapp and ifi Nano. Works fine.

Yeah, that'll still work, but I want to be able to run all audio out digitally, not just audio played within USB Audio Player Pro. With Kit Kat I could play a game, use the built-in media apps, etc, and get sound through a DAC, and now I can't, because the native USB audio 2.0 support in Android has been apparently disabled or removed in the Samsung Lollipop ROM. There are people reporting the same thing happening after updating as far back as February if you Google it. :c

Can you still get audio outside UAPP, or are you in the same boat as me now?

May 1, 2015 at 8:58 PM Post #553 of 756
Sorry, DAC

You can go back and edit your original post to make that correction. Look for the pencil icon at the lower left of your post. You can only see that icon on your own posts.

May 2, 2015 at 9:34 AM Post #555 of 756

Yeah, that'll still work, but I want to be able to run all audio out digitally, not just audio played within USB Audio Player Pro. With Kit Kat I could play a game, use the built-in media apps, etc, and get sound through a DAC, and now I can't, because the native USB audio 2.0 support in Android has been apparently disabled or removed in the Samsung Lollipop ROM. There are people reporting the same thing happening after updating as far back as February if you Google it. :c

Can you still get audio outside UAPP, or are you in the same boat as me now?

Good news for me is that all sounds can be played through USB to my Nano. Bad news is that so far Lollipop seems to kill my battery...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back