Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (24-bit/192KHz)
Nov 10, 2013 at 9:48 PM Post #303 of 726
I am trying to decide between rsa intruder, centrance hifi m8 or going for the cheaper e18.
Sadly at this time in Australia, centrance and e18 are not stocked.

Between the Intruder and M8, I would take the M8 anytime. If you don't mind the size of the M8, it is a better all-in-one package which will work nicely with your AK100.

Nov 10, 2013 at 10:00 PM Post #304 of 726

Between the Intruder and M8, I would take the M8 anytime. If you don't mind the size of the M8, it is a better all-in-one package which will work nicely with your AK100.

Hey there,

Thanks for responding.

Size isnt a HUGE deal, but if possible it would be nice to be able to get something that I can "JAM" in my pocket.

I really need to update that.  I am currently awaiting funds for the AK100 which has sold.
I am trying to cut back on devices.

Do you know if and android device will work with the regular HiFi M8, as there are iDevice HiFiM8's in stock, however no LX models.
I no longer have the AK and I have no other devices with Optical out so I dont need that input.

Thanks for any advice in advance.

Scott

Nov 10, 2013 at 10:44 PM Post #305 of 726

Hey there,

Thanks for responding.

Size isnt a HUGE deal, but if possible it would be nice to be able to get something that I can "JAM" in my pocket.

I really need to update that.  I am currently awaiting funds for the AK100 which has sold.
I am trying to cut back on devices.

Do you know if and android device will work with the regular HiFi M8, as there are iDevice HiFiM8's in stock, however no LX models.
I no longer have the AK and I have no other devices with Optical out so I dont need that input.

Thanks for any advice in advance.

Scott

Hi Scott,

According to Centrance, the M8 is compatible with android devices but I am not sure if you need to use a special app for this. I understand that the USB audio recorder pro app will work so the Samsung S4 and Note 3 should work. But I have no experience using that as mine is the LX version which has an optical input for my AK120.

Nov 10, 2013 at 11:20 PM Post #307 of 726
  I know you will think I am crazy, but the headphone sound from my Note 3 ( SM-N900P) is far inferior to my old HTC EVO 4G. It is not just by a little bit.  Anyone could hear it.  If I did not have a Kunlun being shipped to me I would be in a bad place.  I can not understand why this is not being reported more.

I have Verizon Note 3 (SM-N900V) - Snapdragon version, the sound is far inferior when compared to my Galaxy S3 (snapdragon version), on Note 3 there is no sound stage, all the background music is subdued. My headphones are Logitech ultimate ears triple fi-10 (No amp), tested with Neutron, Poweramp, Samsung player (with Adaptive sound).

I also tested with few other Headphones (Koss DJ100, Bose OE2, Logitech UE6000 etc..) and results are same across board (GS3 > N3).

My phone is my primary music source, I listen 4-6 hours every day. With Note 3 poor music quality I am not enjoying my music (I like every thing else with the phone), seriously thinking of going back to Galaxy S3.

I might try with Viper audio mod (after rooting the phone) and see if audio improves, but Note 3 being Samsung's flagship phone - the poor SQ is not acceptable (out of the box) and we don't have to root for improving SQ.

Also I don't want to use any amp to improve SQ as it beats the portability.

Nov 11, 2013 at 2:21 AM Post #308 of 726
Using TF10 on the 9005 I have no real problems with EU stock firmware, sounds better than the Colorfly C3, got plenty of volume potential, so a little confused why some people are having bad luck...

I am on stock firmware xxxMJ1 if it helps to try and work out where this is going wrong for some people.

Nov 11, 2013 at 9:41 AM Post #309 of 726
I have snap 800 9005.
My note 3 + headphone outptup sound better than my note 3 + odac + neco v4 ...with sensitive hedphone
A very little bit better than the stock configuration (note 3 + headphone) sound Note 3 + cable in headphone output +NECO V4..
Naturally I speaking about sensitive headphone.
This is my situation.
Never I was especting that trougth usb + dac the quality was worst

Nov 11, 2013 at 2:10 PM Post #311 of 726
God i even had to register.
The fact that you can't hear some frequencies (yet some people hear more , some less) doesn't change the fact that they affect frequencies that you can hear , also any musician (not some **** like skrillex , minaj or cyrys or other apes) can tell the difference between 44\96\192.

And this article that you flashed here few times is made for those , who make and sell crappy downsampled audio tracks.

Digitized vinyl (24\192) is heard nothing like CD or MP3.

As for for GN 3 i prefer N9005 since N900 have yamaha (all we remember last yamaha Galaxy XD ) DAC while N9005 qualcomm own DAC Possibly the same as in LG G2

Nov 11, 2013 at 3:09 PM Post #312 of 726
I certainly don't want to get into the whole “Sound Science” issue of 24/192 versus 16/44. I read all that a while back. I've been present at studio recordings and I've heard music from a CD on a decent stereo system. If my portable audio could sound similar to a decent stereo system, I'll be a happy traveler.

Yesterday, my T-Mobile (Snapdragon 800) Note 3 didn't sound very good. There was buzzing and artifact noise (resulting in a lack of clarity and a small crowded soundstage). Today, however,  it sounded pretty good. It was Apple DAP-like in its silence between tracks (with no artifacts as songs tapered off). And, the soundstage was good with that 3D-like imaging (which is un-Apple-like).

I'm not qualified to spot differences in the digital-to-audio conversion component no matter who makes the product. Besides, I tend to believe that this intermittent sound issue is somewhere else in the system (i.e. I don't think the DAC was lollygagging around yesterday and came with its A-game today).

There are times when I can set my Headstage Arrow 4G amp right beside my cellphone and use it without a hitch. Other times, it makes a buzzing and clicking noise that almost drowns out the music. I know it is the phone because it works like a metal detector (in that if I walk away from the phone with the amp, it stops). I don't know if a certain radio kicked in on the phone that caused the RF interference or whether the same thing (or a similar interference) happens with the Note 3's own internals (as it may have with all my previous Samsung phones). Perhaps at times the sound issues are hardware related and other times it's software related.

What I do know is that (at times) the Note 3 sounds decent as a music player and (at times) it does not. What'ya gonna do, eh?

Nov 12, 2013 at 8:42 AM Post #313 of 726

I read it - crap. Just no need to argue really, same sort of discussion as if I talked mp3 guys into jumping lossless - the difference they wouldn't hear anyway.
My current setup is Note 3 exynos + Grado Sr60i. Seems decent enough, to my surprise and amazement, as at first I was sure it would sound crappy. With that in mind, I had spent nearly 2 weeks after I bought the device not even bothering to listen, was I so sure it was crappy. It is not! I look no further so far...

Nov 12, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #314 of 726
What I don't understand at all, guys, is why would anyone need an external DAC or Amp with Note 3? Why even bother? You could buy a decent player starting from Cowon d20 and going all the way up to AK120, depending on your taste and pocket. Wouldn't it make more sense?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back