Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (24-bit/192KHz)
Nov 4, 2013 at 11:19 PM Post #257 of 726
nObody can cOmpare nOte 3 DAC in qualcOmm and exynos vErsion? : (

exynos versiOn is morE expensivE in my cOuntry.

Snapdragon. Also you don't need to abuse the ShIfT kEy.

Someone already has, it just wasn't the answer you wanted it seems, and so you are asking again.

Personally, I wasn't sold on my qualcomm Note 3's sound quality, so I picked up an HRT MicroStreamer, and WOW what an eye-opening experience! Perhaps just buy the qualcomm version, since that is what people tend to be giving positive feedback on here. If you don't like it, buy a DAC/Amp and hook it up USB OTG. The FiiO E18 is looking promising, and provides battery charging (when not using it as DAC/Amp) for low-battery situations. The E18 should be available in the very near (within a week or 2) future in the US, and in Europe December I believe.

Nov 5, 2013 at 1:00 PM Post #258 of 726
Some questions:

- Are you guys testing your headphones without an external DAC? I believe so, considering all the fuss about Qualcomm/Wolfson in previous posts!
- Does anyone knows what audio quality/settings is using Spotify's android app?
- Does the Note 3 supports USB digital output?
and
- Semi OT:any advice about a good portable sounddock? Possibly allowing USB digital audio

@Tattari! Go and test that radio app! See if it works!

Nov 5, 2013 at 4:32 PM Post #259 of 726
tnQ kayza, but only reAson that i asking again is reAd mOre cOmments and make surE about that. plus: i hAven't much time : )
and i wAnna see sOmeone whO has bOth of this device and cOmpare!

i dOnt wAnna extErnal DAC, sO i shOuld chOose between snap and exynOs to gEt "bEst portAble sOund quality"

Nov 5, 2013 at 7:06 PM Post #260 of 726
  Some questions:

- Are you guys testing your headphones without an external DAC? I believe so, considering all the fuss about Qualcomm/Wolfson in previous posts!
- Does anyone knows what audio quality/settings is using Spotify's android app?
- Does the Note 3 supports USB digital output?
and
- Semi OT:any advice about a good portable sounddock? Possibly allowing USB digital audio

@Tattari! Go and test that radio app! See if it works!

-Most people, if not all people except me just a couple posts ago, have been using the phone's headphone out, and not an external DAC. To use an external DAC would completely bypass the phone's audio workings, thus making this thread pointless as people would be submitting their thoughts on something other than the Note 3.
-I think spotify uses 320k mp3 on a computer, although I am not certain that carries over to the Android App.
-Yes, the Note 3 supports USB OTG and is compatible with many external USB DACs. I have confirmed it to work with both the HRT MicroStreamer ($160-190) and the FiiO E10 ($50-75). Both devices are completely powered by the phone. Other external DAC/AMPs, such as the FiiO E07k, E17, E18 have built in batteries on them, so if they are compatible with the Note 3 (I have read E17 and E18 confirmed compatibility), they would run off their own internal battery, and shouldn't suck as much power from the phone in order to work.
-I don't know of any USB sounddocks, although there are numerous portable, powered bluetooth speakers. But this is Head-Fi, so I doubt you are interested in a bluetooth streamer. I have the Urge Basics soundbrick which I paid $37 for, and at that price it is worth it for a portable solution in social settings where critical listening is not taking place.

Nov 6, 2013 at 1:07 AM Post #261 of 726
To be honest , I find that the Note 3 has one of the best SQ I ever heard from a phone!
Very very good, and I don't find it lacking in any way .

I do not use 4G , and I am not gonna use the 4K video (well not until I get a 4K TV), so I saved myself [size=inherit]$120.[/size]

I confirm that my exynos N-9000 is working with both the Asus Essence one and the Apex Glacier, as external dac.

Nov 6, 2013 at 2:03 AM Post #262 of 726
Hey,
So I have read back a few pages but all reviews are conflicting. What is the audio like from this device?
I will be replacing my ak100 potentially.
I have a HTC one but my son smashed the camera on it. As I the HTC for its camera to take pictures of my son when I don't have my point and shoot me I am hoping to replace my dap and phone in one device.
Ta.

Edit: I will be using it with an ibasso pb2.

Nov 6, 2013 at 2:33 AM Post #263 of 726
Hey,
So I have read back a few pages but all reviews are conflicting. What is the audio like from this device?
I have a HTC one but my son smashed the camera on it. As I the HTC for its camera to take pictures of my son when I don't have my point and shoot me I am hoping to replace my dap and phone in one device.
Ta.

Your ears are the only judge, forget what we say and have it for a test yourself.
For me (coming from DX100, Sony Z and F Walkman  T51 and many other DAPs and other phones), this phone excel in SQ.

Nov 6, 2013 at 10:34 AM Post #267 of 726
Hey,
Ta.

How does the SQ of the Note 3 compare to the HTC?

Nov 6, 2013 at 10:46 AM Post #269 of 726
  No matter what device you use (external DAC or not): your source, still is set at 44kHz!!! So why fuss about 192kHz?

With stock player I have for sure 24 bit and 96 khz output on my dac and I think also have 96khz in headphone output (but not sure).
Same guy with fiio e17 read clearly 24 bit 96 khz on display .... same info and photo in Damba usb android tread.

Nov 6, 2013 at 10:57 AM Post #270 of 726
  With stock player I have for sure 24 bit and 96 khz output on my dac and I think also have 96khz in headphone output (but not sure).
Same guy with fiio e17 read clearly 24 bit 96 khz on display .... same info and photo in Damba usb android tread.

- CD to FLAC conversion (best possible case on your device)  will output at 2 channels, 16bit, 44KHz

So your "chain" will be:
- FLAC @ 16bit/44kHz ----> Note 3 with 24bit/192kHz capabilities, however as the source is set at 16bit/44kHz ----> You are listening at 16bit/44kHz !!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back