Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (24-bit/192KHz)
Oct 1, 2013 at 2:57 PM Post #91 of 726
Got mine yesterday:
ijxEvpM.jpg

What a brilliant piece of kit. I upgraded from Note 2 and thought that had good autio output via the 3.5mm jack but this is even better. I'm hearing details in my favourite music that are not as apparent on the Note 2.Whatever chip the Note 3 uses, Samsung did a good job with it for sure. I'm using VSonic GR07 MkII and they are a well made match for this phone. As someone mentioned earlier, you get that tube amp feel to the music. It's warm and you feel comfortable surrounded by it.

Oct 2, 2013 at 4:28 AM Post #92 of 726
Has anyone with a rooted Note 2 that has a custom audio kernel compared it with a Note 3?

The stock Note 2 audio can be improved by rooting and using a custom kernel that has tweaks for the Wolfson DAC. Regardless it seems stock Note 3 (S800 or Wolfson) is superior to stock Note 2.

Oct 2, 2013 at 4:56 AM Post #93 of 726
  Got mine yesterday:
ijxEvpM.jpg

What a brilliant piece of kit. I upgraded from Note 2 and thought that had good autio output via the 3.5mm jack but this is even better. I'm hearing details in my favourite music that are not as apparent on the Note 2.Whatever chip the Note 3 uses, Samsung did a good job with it for sure. I'm using VSonic GR07 MkII and they are a well made match for this phone. As someone mentioned earlier, you get that tube amp feel to the music. It's warm and you feel comfortable surrounded by it.

Do you know which Note 3 you have? Is it the N9005, N9002, N9000?

Oct 2, 2013 at 6:02 AM Post #95 of 726
Has anyone with a rooted Note 2 that has a custom audio kernel compared it with a Note 3?

The stock Note 2 audio can be improved by rooting and using a custom kernel that has tweaks for the Wolfson DAC. Regardless it seems stock Note 3 (S800 or Wolfson) is superior to stock Note 2.

Yes. My earlier n9005 v n7100 comparison I should specify my note 2 was running wanam lite with Perseus kernel. I still like the n9005 sound over my n7100 out of neutron player.

Oct 3, 2013 at 7:29 PM Post #97 of 726
Well ...
I have the Note 3 n9005 snap version for two day.
This smartphone sound good in my opinion.
I am a purist and don t like to use equalizer and similar.
For the above reason, at first, I underevaluate the adapt sound option in settings-sound.
Well ... the adaptive sound is a must to me, try yourself with the stock player.

Oct 4, 2013 at 6:54 AM Post #98 of 726
A I've had the sd800 version for over a week now, when I first heard some music through it, I was really disappointed with the volume. I'm using a jvc fxt 90 as my IEM. But after increasing the volume to about 75%, wow, everything is s much clearer than my previous wolfson note 2 with the boeffla pleasant ears mod.

My only issue is that I have to crank the volume is about twice the level I had on the note 2. Sigh, hope someone finds a way to root without voiding the warranty.

And yeah, the speaker really sucks, like what some people has been saying.

Oct 4, 2013 at 7:34 AM Post #99 of 726
Well ...
I have the Note 3 n9005 snap version for two day.
This smartphone sound good in my opinion.
I am a purist and don t like to use equalizer and similar.
For the above reason, at first, I underevaluate the adapt sound option in settings-sound.
Well ... the adaptive sound is a must to me, try yourself with the stock player.

Thanks for the tips. I tried it but all my main IEMs yielded a flat response and no adjustment could be made and I went back to using Neutron player now. But it's a nice way to help people eq their IEM to a more neutral response.

Oct 5, 2013 at 10:08 PM Post #100 of 726

Just got my Note 3 yesterday. As someone who has been using iOS since the very beginning (3 iPhones), I found Android confusing as all hell for the first few minutes I used it. Its unusual to go from a relatively closed operating system to something like Android. It took me a few hours to get the hang of things and now its relatively easy.

As far as the sound quality between the two, its a really close call. The iPhone 5 has noticeably more output power than the Note 3. The two however have very different sound signatures, I feel like the iPhone has a slight midbass hump that makes it funner and fuller sounding, it excels at bass-heavy electronic music and a synergizes well with pop music. The Note on the other hand has a flatter, more neutral sounding response. Incidentally, because of this flatter response, the Apple Earpods which were a bit too tubby on the low end with the iPhone sound stellar on the Note 3. I'm probably going to be using the Note 3+Earpods as my portable setup for the foreseeable future.

Oct 6, 2013 at 12:04 AM Post #101 of 726

Just got my Note 3 yesterday. As someone who has been using iOS since the very beginning (3 iPhones), I found Android confusing as all hell for the first few minutes I used it. Its unusual to go from a relatively closed operating system to something like Android. It took me a few hours to get the hang of things and now its relatively easy.

As far as the sound quality between the two, its a really close call. The iPhone 5 has noticeably more output power than the Note 3. The two however have very different sound signatures, I feel like the iPhone has a slight midbass hump that makes it funner and fuller sounding, it excels at bass-heavy electronic music and a synergizes well with pop music. The Note on the other hand has a flatter, more neutral sounding response. Incidentally, because of this flatter response, the Apple Earpods which were a bit too tubby on the low end with the iPhone sound stellar on the Note 3. I'm probably going to be using the Note 3+Earpods as my portable setup for the foreseeable future.

Try to turn "Adaptive Sound" on from your note 3 player and it would try to calibrate your earphones with your hearing of your ears to provide an automatic EQ for a neutral response. Could give you a more "reference" type of sound for a baseline and see how you can EQ it further to your preference. All my main IEMs came out to be pretty neutral with no afjustment, but it is still a fun test. Just make sure you find a very quiet place to run the hearing test ad the test tones are really faint to test if you can hear them.

Oct 8, 2013 at 2:42 PM Post #102 of 726
Does anybody have some external hard drives they could test with the Note 3?
The Note 3 has a USB 3.0 connector.  Even though no USB 3.0 OTG, or Superspeed OTG, cables exist yet to my knowledge, it would still be very interesting to see what output current is available when using a USB 2.0 OTG cable.
It is conceivable that the Note 3 would allow for up to 500mA output power when using a USB 2.0 OTG cable.  If that were the case, it would be able to power the vast majority of DACs and portable external hard drives.
If the Note 3 is like other phones, it may have seriously gimped output power or 100mA or so.  If that were the case, then it will be relatively limited without the use of a USB OTG Y-cable and additional power source.

Oct 10, 2013 at 3:07 PM Post #104 of 726
I can't seem to get audio out on my Note 3 like I did on my Note 2 via USB 2.0 to my external DAC/Amp- any suggestions?
I have "Dock Sound and AUdio output mode" both checked, and audio output as stereo in Accessory menu

Users who are viewing this thread

Back