SAmsung galaxy note 2
Apr 6, 2013 at 3:32 AM Post #378 of 471
I never listened the AK100 or DX100, but for me you can't compare it, it's a good sounding device in the smartphone category, no more.

My Wolfson Note2 have no hiss with the Sony XBA-4.

Edit : The nice think with this device is the low output impedance as elfary say before and a clean output for me.

Apr 6, 2013 at 7:29 AM Post #379 of 471
Quote:
http://ko.goldenears.net/board/index.php?mid=GR_Mobile&document_srl=3037355

Some objective assessement...from the good folks of Goldenears.net

It does great the most important thing (output impedance) and acceptable in the rest of areas. Overall i think that it's a good pair for balanced armature iems.

Damnit, I sold my Note2 last weekend, and bought my first pair of BA earphones in a while today...  Oh well...

Apr 17, 2013 at 6:58 PM Post #381 of 471
Galaxy Note II is REALLY bad in Direct Sunlight, The iPhone has the the best direct light screen (It's twice as bright as the Samsung's)

Apr 17, 2013 at 7:29 PM Post #382 of 471
Quote:
Galaxy Note II is REALLY bad in Direct Sunlight, The iPhone has the the best direct light screen (It's twice as bright as the Samsung's)

I like how people states things in capitals and in a very extreme way... I just checked it right now. Definitely not twice, but noticeably better for the iphone compared with the Note II. People wants some directions to choose a phone, not a statement of "my phone is better than yours". Probably supporting the comments with some data would help.

Apr 17, 2013 at 7:48 PM Post #383 of 471
From Laptop Magazine:

"On our light meter, we measured 229 lux for the Note II, versus 165 lux for the Note and 213 lux for the Galaxy S III. We had some difficulty reading the Note II's screen in direct sunlight, but it was easier to see content than on the S III. The average smartphone is 298 lux, and the iPhone 5's 4-inch display (525 lux) is significantly brighter."

Sorry, my mistake. The iPhone is 2.29x as bright. 

amoled and super amoled displays are horrible in direct sunlight,  This is a fact, not speculation. I own both the Note 2 and the iPhone 5. I would rank the Note 2 display as almost unreadable in direct sunlight, the iPhone has the best direct light mobile phone screen I have found. 

I hope this is enough data to support my comment. 

Apr 17, 2013 at 8:07 PM Post #384 of 471
Quote:
From Laptop Magazine:

"On our light meter, we measured 229 lux for the Note II, versus 165 lux for the Note and 213 lux for the Galaxy S III. We had some difficulty reading the Note II's screen in direct sunlight, but it was easier to see content than on the S III. The average smartphone is 298 lux, and the iPhone 5's 4-inch display (525 lux) is significantly brighter."

amoled and super amoled displays are horrible in direct sunlight,  This is a fact, not speculation. I own both the Note 2 and the iPhone 5. I would rank the Note 2 display as almost unreadable in direct sunlight, the iPhone has the best direct light mobile phone screen I have found. 

(Both are REALLY great phones, good luck with your decision.)

Apr 17, 2013 at 8:13 PM Post #385 of 471
Quote:
From Laptop Magazine:

Much better statement, I bet now some people can decide better which phone they prefer based on those numbers.

I was comparing it with the iPhone 4, and under my opinion (yes I said opinion) it didn't look like double. Reading under direct sunlight is not the feature I search in a phone the most, but I understand that for some people it might be like that. In any case, I can perform the basic tasks I need perfectly under direct sunlight, which are going to be forwarding or stopping the song in spotify, or selecting the next radio station while I walk to my car.

Apr 17, 2013 at 8:20 PM Post #387 of 471
Well I did, I needed a bigger screen and I am tired of waiting on Apple..  Hell, half of the Galaxy Note II XDA threads are ex-iPhone users. 

anywho, both good phones.

Apr 17, 2013 at 8:26 PM Post #388 of 471
Quote:
 I am tired of waiting on Apple..  

Ummmm... You got me here. This is the problem with Apple. When I got my first iPhone (3G) I thought: This is the best phone ever!! And it kinda was. Now, I feel I lack a bunch of features in every portable apple device. It is a really good phone, I agree, but not a lot has changed since I got it almost four years ago.

Not anti-apple, I love my iMac 27", but with this one I feel it still has features that others do simply not offer.

I highly doubt anyone considering an iPhone 5 would also consider a Note 2 and vice-versa, regardless of display performance in sunlight.

Well, they are completely different phones. I think you are completely right with this point. In the end, you cannot have everything in the same device, you are always being lacking something.

A little bit of topic, but I find myself being tired of phones and using my tablet more and more. I was even considering selling the phone and buying a 7" 3G tablet as a phone, but there is nothing out there at the level, specially in android (iPad is fine but I just cannot stand iOS). Maybe I should push the trigger on the Nexus 7 3G...

I am not really bothered about the brightness, thus I never had a look into it, but I am pretty sure you could hack this in someway (I don't know how this would affect the durability of the screen of course. I just found this with a really quick search. Maybe it deserves a deeper look.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-note-2/234946-4-1-1-4-1-2-exactly-400-brightness-wow.html

I remember somebody mentioning or just reading it somewhere that brightness differed from carrier to carrier, or that there were updates to solve this.

Apr 18, 2013 at 2:40 AM Post #389 of 471
The Note 2 is not a bad smartphone at all, the autonomy is very good and the headphone out is very acceptable with BA IEM, I'm using it with Sony XBA-4 and now my Sony F807 is taking dust, for me the sound difference is not enough to carry up two device every days, at less with the XBA-4 ...

Apr 18, 2013 at 7:49 AM Post #390 of 471
Quote:
Well, they are completely different phones. I think you are completely right with this point. In the end, you cannot have everything in the same device, you are always being lacking something.

Personally, the only thing I'm lacking with the Note 2 is desktop power. I sold my laptop (mid-2011 MacBook Air 13), tablet (3rd-gen iPad) and some ephemeral smartphones (Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 4, iPhone 5) to end up with the Note 2. I find it sufficiently accomplishes the tasks I'd do on these devices, while I have a relatively high-end desktop to handle the rest. The $600 I spent on the Note 2 actually saved me a ton of money.

If I had an iPod or standalone MP3 player I'd no longer need that, too (80GB of overall storage).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back