SAmsung galaxy note 2
Mar 7, 2013 at 10:24 AM Post #331 of 471
The future of iPhone and samsung. Picture I stumbled upon a norwegian mobile site :D A bigger iPhone?
[Image]

LOL!

No seriously, back to the noise topic and apart from os's.I got my v-moda m-100 yesterday, and tried again: No hiss at all.Today I'll try the Siii stock from cricket and I'll report back.maybe it's me...

Mar 7, 2013 at 3:41 PM Post #334 of 471
Quote:
Same problem with the note 2. Last anti glare I had didn't exactly help a great deal either. The note 2s screen is not as bright as an iPhone on my recollection.

The N2's screen can match or even edge past the iphone's retina display.  You would have to change some settings of course.  You can kind of compare the displays on Samsung's mobile phones to their HDTV's, in a menu feature sorta way lol.  Just like in the bigger brother displays, you can also find picture quality mode settings in the N2 and S3.  They are (as they have always been on the tv's) Dynamic, Standard, Natural(this one's a new addition), and good ol' Movie modes.

To get there you go to Settings > DIsplay > Screen Mode > then select either of the 4, but to match iphones color depth and brightness, select either Natural or Movie Mode.

After that hit the save button on the upper right corner then it will bring you back to the Display settings, and from there, scroll down to: 'Auto adjust screen tone' all the way on the bottom and uncheck that setting.

Now scroll back up to crank your brightness all the way max, and baam!  you now have a screen that you can see in direct sunlight.

Note: These instructions are based off the stock Note 2 rom.  Custom roms still has these settings, but might be shuffled around differently.

Hope this little tip helps!

Touchwiz based ROMs with Perseus kernel and STweaks installed has a "disable master sequence" setting that uses a universal sRBG calibrated screen adjustment. This will crush the DeltaE values of the iPhone or any other phone for that matter.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Mar 7, 2013 at 3:45 PM Post #335 of 471
I've got a Note 2, and tried an S3 as well as an S2 (family members) and found that the audio quality is actually quite bad for all of these devices. I'm not sure if its part Touchwiz or if its a default operating mode for android devices (previous used a 3gs/4 until a few months ago so I'm not sure about other android devices), but from what I can 'hear'/understand the samsung devices cut audio until you have some form of media that requires audio then actually boosts it. You don't need any high end headphones to notice this, but its particularly annoying with my se535's and basically every other headphone I have. You can still hear the noise with music playing, it doesn't go away.It's not noticeable with songs that don't have a large dynamic range (not really an issue for most recordings from 2000+ with everyone trying to fill every second with whatever they can throw in there) but it can be an issue for acoustic performances, classical, electronica or anything else that have really big gaps of space in between notes.

If you've had the se530's or se535's for a long time, you may have gotten used to the inherent hiss you get from these headphones with 90% of the sources that you try. The note 2 and the other samsung devices seem to have the same effect with other headphones that may not be as sensitive as the shures. I've never fully tuned out the hiss, but I've changed my listening habits to work around the weaknesses of the note 2 because I do admit to enjoying the phone and its marvelous screen. Now I primarily listen to pandora and have rock tunes in the background as I do work when I decide to use the note 2 for audio. But once I get home,  the note 2 goes very low on my list in terms of sources I would use with gear.

I suppose I could get digital audio out and use a usb dac with it, but most of my dacs are non-portable now a days. 

On a side note, I've had very few problems with the iphone 3gs and 4, while I still notice hiss from the se535/530's, its fainter and less noticeable by a large margin to the Note 2. I've actually thought about picking up the iphone 5 once it hits T-mobile so I can use it on their 4g network. I really wanted to ditch the note 2 and get the ATT iphone5 during my first week of trying to use my note 2 as a dedicated mp3 player, but getting stuck at edge speeds was too much of a sacrifice. 

Please try using Perseus kernel with STweaks installed. There are audio tweaks that bring the equivalent of Voodoo Sound to the Note 2. This easily sounds better than my Voodoo' d Galaxy S 1.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Mar 16, 2013 at 7:54 PM Post #337 of 471
Listening to my stock. How hazardous is it to do these magic mods. I have no idea how to mess with smartphones lol.

I compared it to the parents Google Nexus 10. Also built by Samsung they share a similar sound signature but the Nexus 10 just sound a bit more open and transparent doing so... Not the result I wanted lol. Only my EPH-100 available for reference. Not much of a problem though they are more then good enough for portable use.

Mar 16, 2013 at 8:29 PM Post #338 of 471
It is not difficult, specially with samsung, but try to don´t mess up choosing the model. That is the only way I now you can brick the phone, usually the worst you can get is a semibrick. If you want information send me a PM.

Both the Nexus 10 and the Note 2 have custom kernels that will allow you to get control on the DAC.

Mar 17, 2013 at 12:07 AM Post #341 of 471
Quote:
Can you use both stock rom and perseus kernel? If yes, how would you go about it?

Yes you can:
1. Identify your device properly!! What version do you have? Probably N7100 or N7105
2. Root the phone. I recommend flashing through ODIN one of these DEODEX stock ROMs.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1915386
3. Flash the kernel through ODIN.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1927852

There are many guides on how to do it. I will post a link to a tutorial later on. But if you want to start investigating, xda-developers is the way to go.

Mar 17, 2013 at 1:42 AM Post #343 of 471
You need to flash the rom to get root access... In fact I don´t know if you can install the kernel without having root acces... No you cannot, you need root acces granted for sure.

The other option is to try to gain root access directly on your current ROM, but... I don´t know if it is worth it. Why are you reticent to root the phone?

Mar 17, 2013 at 3:27 AM Post #344 of 471
I had already rooted my phone before this , the question is that whether i need to flash another room before installing the kernel, or if I can just use odin to flash a kernel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back