Samsung galaxy nexus
Oct 29, 2012 at 6:45 PM Post #241 of 249
Its nice to know that others still care about the GN but I think at this point its kind of futile. You guys know way more about this kind of stuff than me and no one seems to be able to figure out a way to make it work. With no manufacturer support for DAC out and around a year of knowledgeable techies trying to find a way to make it happen with no results I don't see it happening. I love my Galaxy nexus but Google just took the phone of the play store so that the Nexus 4 could take its place, I guess its pretty much the end of the line for the GN. 

Do any of you guys have major complaints with the headphone out audio quality? have you run into problems with it driving certain headphones? Is the headphone out to amp just trash (I know two amps is usually frowned upon)? I think the sound quality on my GN is great and even slightly better with poweramp, sadly I usually get tired of my own music selection rather quickly and end up listening to Pandora or Spotify Radio and the sound quality there is nothing special. 

Nov 2, 2012 at 3:45 PM Post #242 of 249
I find it enjoyable but not the last word in terms of fidelity. My qualcomm 1st gen windows phone, Omnia 7 sounded considerably cleaner with less bass but not as loud.

Judging by the numbers the new Qualcomm S4 devices should sound very good. (I know those are CPU's and not DAC's but they all tend to use the same CPU/DAC combo) Like Exynos seems to be coupled with Wolfson. And TI with TI....

Nov 5, 2012 at 5:18 PM Post #243 of 249
Its nice to know that others still care about the GN but I think at this point its kind of futile. You guys know way more about this kind of stuff than me and no one seems to be able to figure out a way to make it work. With no manufacturer support for DAC out and around a year of knowledgeable techies trying to find a way to make it happen with no results I don't see it happening. I love my Galaxy nexus but Google just took the phone of the play store so that the Nexus 4 could take its place, I guess its pretty much the end of the line for the GN. 

Do any of you guys have major complaints with the headphone out audio quality? have you run into problems with it driving certain headphones? Is the headphone out to amp just trash (I know two amps is usually frowned upon)? I think the sound quality on my GN is great and even slightly better with poweramp, sadly I usually get tired of my own music selection rather quickly and end up listening to Pandora or Spotify Radio and the sound quality there is nothing special. 

I like the clarity of the headphone out using my koss ur-55 headphones, but it doesn't get very loud. I am still looking for the best player. At the moment I use win amp because of the 10 band eq. I can adjust the very bottom end more than standard 5 band eq that are on other players. The around 60 Hz boost doesn't bring out what needs to be there. The problem with win amp is when eq'd it lowers the volume compared with the Google player. That and with some music it clips. There is an option to help with the clipping but it loses the little bit of dynamics that are there.

Really hoping that someone gets a GOOD way of using USB amps/DACs with this phone. Aching to have a fiio e7 hooked up.

Nov 12, 2012 at 1:08 AM Post #246 of 249
Get Spotify Premium, you can stream 320kbps using the "extreme" quality option. Definitely passable for just about any portable source, especially a smartphone; between that, my Voodoo'd G2x, and my TF10 or SM3, I get just about anything I want in respectable quality, anywhere, anytime. Love it.
Quote:

Nov 12, 2012 at 6:55 PM Post #247 of 249
Quote:
Get Spotify Premium, you can stream 320kbps using the "extreme" quality option. Definitely passable for just about any portable source, especially a smartphone; between that, my Voodoo'd G2x, and my TF10 or SM3, I get just about anything I want in respectable quality, anywhere, anytime. Love it.

Thanks for the input, I've often wondered what my fellow Head-Fiers think about the premium options from services like Spotify and Pandora. 

Nov 18, 2012 at 1:30 AM Post #249 of 249
The line out Jack seems okay.. nothing special, but also nothing awesome either. Headphones make the difference on any device, but being stuck with Analog kinda bites. I still use my galaxy nexus in the car but I am finding myself leaning towards my Asus Tf101 it has a Wolfson DAC and does USB audio pretty well. I think I might we what I can do with it..Maybe rig some sort of Car interface for it, but it would have to have some way to hide it as that is a pretty expensive thing to risk in a car. Well at least until I am due for an upgrade, and then there may be something more awesome out.. Or I might just pick up an Sgs3 :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back