Samsung galaxy nexus
Sep 26, 2012 at 4:51 PM Post #212 of 249
Quote:
FYI - I found a similar thread here and the author was editing init.sun4i.rc for that device:

http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/29289-usb-audio-cards-support-drivers-and-libs/

# USB Audio
        insmod /drv/snd-hwdep.ko
        insmod /drv/snd-rawmidi.ko
        insmod /drv/snd-usbmidi-lib.ko
        insmod /drv/snd-usb-audio.ko

For Galaxy Nexus, it should be editing init.tuna.rc instead:

# USB Audio
        insmod /system/modules/snd-hwdep.ko
        insmod /system/modules/snd-rawmidi.ko
        insmod /system/modules/snd-usbmidi-lib.ko
        insmod /system/modules/snd-usb-audio.ko

Of course the path to that directory might be different.

Nice, but I just don't know what to do with that information.  Seems like you need to set up Tasker to automate loading these modules.  Hopefully someone can provide a how to guide and demonstrate a useable digital audio out of the G Nexus.

Sep 27, 2012 at 11:13 AM Post #213 of 249
I found one guy that says he got USB audio working on his Galaxy Nexus using the GLaDOS kernel.  No details provided on his post.  I just PM'ed him to get more details, will report back if I hear back: 
http://rootzwiki.com/topic/14703-kernel27-jul-glados-v20-for-jb/page__st__1720#entry626931

Sep 27, 2012 at 12:58 PM Post #215 of 249
Yeah the kernel issue is solved, but the OS is still missing stuff to support it.  That guy is just using the headphone out, nothing special there.

I'm not holding my breath on this, looks like I'll get a new phone before this gets hacked to work.

Yeah you can buy an OTG cable and hook up a variety of devices (keyboards, mice, flash drives, etc), but DAC recognition is still a problem.  here's a quote from another post that summarized the problem:

"so far we have gotten the kernel to recognize the DAC and load the necessary modules to use it, the only problem is we can't switch the phone's sound card from the default on board one yet and that problem is a bit of a toughie.  Without native ALSA support, it's going to be one heck of a hack"

Sep 27, 2012 at 4:52 PM Post #217 of 249
Quote:
Well, we could figure out how to make persistent changes to init.tuna.rc by unpacking + repacking boot loader / boot ROM of some sort?

For this Ainol Novo 7 Advanced ROM it was done either in terminal or with a script:

setprop media.audio.out.mode usb

http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/33820-ics-404-ivi-cm9-firmware-for-novo7-advanced-btgpsusb-audio/

Author's repository:

https://github.com/tsynik/device_allwinner_novo7a

For Nexus 7 that could be done easily with the file asound.conf

http://rootzwiki.com/topic/30162-jb-some-kernel-mods-and-external-standard-usb-dac/

For Galaxy Nexus, could PulseAudio or AudioFlinger have anything to do with successful output to USB DAC by any chance?

http://arunraghavan.net/2012/01/pulseaudio-vs-audioflinger-fight/

Looks all promising but it's out of my league as a techie.  Hopefully someone techier can figure it all out!

Sep 27, 2012 at 5:18 PM Post #218 of 249
Quote:
Recently purchased this phone after having used a Samsung Galaxy for about a half year.  Funny enough, I never ever played a single piece of music on my old Galaxy phone because I used a 160 Gb "7th" Gen iPod Classic which had all my music in loss-less format and I assumed this unit gave me the best playback.  Today, I decided to do a comparison of the three units for a high one... then I had my wife take a listen (she has much better ears than I do...)... I used quite a bit of music to compare (Green Day's "American Idiot", Sarah McLachlan's "Fallen", Daniel Lanois' "Falling at Your Feet" and "Here is What is", and Mark Knofler and Emmylou Harris' "Beyond my Wildest Dreams".  My most critical listening was in the latter piece as it has some great competing guitars, symbols and the two harmonizing (Knofler singing in a gentle baritone and Harris harmonizing in a quite, sparkly almost ethereal voice).  Here is what my wife and I noted using a pair of Grado SR60-i headphones with bowls:

Samsung Galaxy S: Very laid back sound, instruments and voices seem to be set up in front of you in a well damped room. The bizarre thing though was that while they felt almost veiled and missing sparkle, the imaging was incredible - I could pick out instruments from each other and voices were incredibly clear and distinct. Overall just incredibly relaxed, smooth, pleasant and neutral sounding presentation.  Bass was well balanced, neither boomy nor bloomy.

Samsung Galaxy Nexus: The Nexus sounded very much like the Galaxy S, except that there was more high frequency detail and the presentation of the music was a bit more forward than the Galaxy S. It felt a bit like the veil of the Galaxy S had been removed, but curiously not improved in any way.

6th Gen iPod: I was quite shocked to find that the music was quite thin and very forward (almost in your face), the highs had a hazzy, sibliant quality which produced unpleasant harmonics and killed any imaging. What I had thought was detail was actually quite the opposite - siblant and fatiguing.  Bass however, was deep and strong.

My favorite was the Galaxy S, my wife's favorite was the Nexus - we both agreed the iPod was terrible in comparison.

So I did some digging regarding the DACs.  Seems the Galaxy S uses the fantastic Wolfson's WM8994 DAC. The Nexus uses a Texas Instrument's (slash Burr Brown...) TWL6040.  And finally, while older iPods used Wolfson DACs, the current iPod Classic, Touch and iPhones all use Cirrus Logic chipsets. My iPod has the CS42L55.  Of interest, my favorite gear at home uses Wolfson DACs, my previous gear (which I also loved) was all Burr Brown. The Burr Brown kit always seemed a bit more forward and detailed, while the Wolfson kit was a bit more relaxed sounding.  I've never owned anything with Cirrus Logic chipsets that I know of - and I do not think I will be buying any soon given the garbage being put out by my current iPod.

I've found the spinnignHD players worse in general. Be careful what you blame things on. Ipod touches and Iphones are what you should compare to.

Oct 12, 2012 at 1:48 AM Post #219 of 249
I just measured the output impedance of a Nexus I have temporarily at 10 ohms. Can't say for sure my measurements are accurate (just used a cheap multimeter and my MS-1 headphones as a load) but it should be in the right ballpark. I'm just putting it out there for people that wanted to know. Keep in mind that output impedance should generally be 1/8 or less of the headphone's impedance to drive it properly.

Oct 15, 2012 at 3:06 PM Post #223 of 249
Hello guys.
I am following this topic for a while and I think I have found out a way to enable USB audio for GNex.
Today I have installed GlaDos v2.1 kernel and enabled USB audio module.
After that, I am able to view the property called media.audio.out.mode.
I think It is this property which drives the audio to the USB dac or not.
Differents values are codec (default) or usb.

The problem is I have no dac actually. I think I am going to buy one but I would like to know if some one could test this procedure before ?

Thanks !

Oct 15, 2012 at 4:27 PM Post #224 of 249
Apparently, a DIY USB DAC is working with a Galaxy Nexus running on a GlaDos kernel, and AlsaMixer instead of "media.audio.out.mode":
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/450#post_8764377

Oct 15, 2012 at 7:11 PM Post #225 of 249
Quote:
Hello guys.
I am following this topic for a while and I think I have found out a way to enable USB audio for GNex.
Today I have installed GlaDos v2.1 kernel and enabled USB audio module.
After that, I am able to view the property called media.audio.out.mode.
I think It is this property which drives the audio to the USB dac or not.
Differents values are codec (default) or usb.
The problem is I have no dac actually. I think I am going to buy one but I would like to know if some one could test this procedure before ?
Thanks !

Can you provide more details?
1- Flash the GlaDos v2.1 kernel.
2- How do you "vew the property called media.audio.out.mode ?

I would try it, but I only have an ODAC, which I think needs more USB power than the GN can provide (so I would need a powered USB hub which I don't have).  You should buy a cheap DAC and let us know the results!! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back