Samsung galaxy nexus
Mar 12, 2012 at 4:22 PM Post #106 of 249
Well, I'm not sure about the Galaxy Nexus but at goldenears they measured the output impedance of the asian versions of S2, Note 3G  and it was respectively 11.23 and 3.44 and they stated that Samsung is probably raising the output impedance of the European versions of the phones, so that the volume abides with the EU legislation. And as the S2's European version has been measured at 49, it would be probably safe to say that the Note's impedance might be 4 times higher but that's a speculation and from what I heard it's deffinitely lay lower than the S2. Anyway, I wouldn't worry too much about the Galaxy Nexus as supercurio said its Texas Instruments DAC had potential and was good but I guess it's main downside is the lack of DSP - still seems to be way better than the Yamaha in the sq department

Mar 13, 2012 at 2:00 AM Post #107 of 249

Quote:
Hi everyone,

I was thinking of making a new topic to get some more replies, but hopefully i get some replies here first.

First of all, I love the Galaxy Nexus, but I am slightly disappointed with the SQ. On my iPhone 3g, i had a pitch black background. The first thing i noticed with the Galaxy Nexus is that when performing certain actions, u can hear some white noise, then it stops 1-2 seconds later. This is apparently the DAC disengaging. Also, there is a bit of noise as tracks start and stop, but it quickly becomes overwhelmed by the music. However, when listening to some ballads, the noise is quite prevalent.

My earphones are Ortofon E-Q5's. The noise is quite obvious with these earphones, but when i plug in my AD700's or my K702's I can't hear the noise. But I would never use them on public transport.

So what should I do? Do you guys anticipate this can be fixed via software? I'm really hoping a dev finds a way to increase the quality from the Gnex soon, as I am a very analytical listener and as soon as I hear the noise at the start of the track my brain automatically searches for the noise throughout the track lol

cheers.

It's really weird, my GN is doing that as well, except that it wasn't doing that before.  At first it was perfectly quiet, and then the external speaker started popping and hissing whenever the audio came on and off, and now it's through headphones as well.  I spent almost a year trying to get my Thunderbolt replaced with a new model because of that problem (it was quite loud), and just when I think I don't have to deal with this again, it comes back.  
angry_face.gif

I'm going to try different roms and kernels to see if that gets it back to the way it was before.  If not, I'm sending it back for yet another replacement.

Mar 14, 2012 at 9:44 AM Post #109 of 249
personally for portable use I can't really think of a source better than the iPhone. I didn't find any aspect of the iPhone amazing, and certainly it didn't receive any approval as my nexus has, but this sound problem needs to be fixed. The thing is I bought my phone online, and i genuinely cannot be assed returning it as there is nothing else wrong with it...yet. 

If its true that all smartphones have this noise problem at start/stop, that is seriously ridiculous. Is the segment that small that they just don't care? Noise is annoying to everyone :frowning2:

i mean there's no way im wearing full sized headphones out, especially since my iem's are so good, so yeah... :/

Mar 14, 2012 at 11:38 PM Post #112 of 249

If its true that all smartphones have this noise problem at start/stop, that is seriously ridiculous. Is the segment that small that they just don't care? Noise is annoying to everyone :frowning2:

It most certainly isn't.  The Galaxy Nexus I tested in the Verizon store was dead silent, as compared to mine with the same headphones (Klipsch S4i).  All the Samsung and Motorola phones I've tested, with the exception of the Bionic, have been quiet.  The Bionic was designed poorly, so it makes an awful screeching noise.  The SQ for the other Motorolas is mediocre.  All HTC Android phones hiss much louder, even through the earpiece during calls (I've had 7 Thunderbolts, I know).

I'd recommend taking your phone back for a replacement, as I will be doing if doing a reset doesn't fix anything.

Mar 16, 2012 at 9:34 PM Post #113 of 249

Quote:
It most certainly isn't.  The Galaxy Nexus I tested in the Verizon store was dead silent, as compared to mine with the same headphones (Klipsch S4i).  All the Samsung and Motorola phones I've tested, with the exception of the Bionic, have been quiet.  The Bionic was designed poorly, so it makes an awful screeching noise.  The SQ for the other Motorolas is mediocre.  All HTC Android phones hiss much louder, even through the earpiece during calls (I've had 7 Thunderbolts, I know).

I'd recommend taking your phone back for a replacement, as I will be doing if doing a reset doesn't fix anything.

you tested the phone in the store. My phone seemingly has a black background when I catch the bus. 

also, your earphones aren't as sensitive as mine. When i use my brainwavz m3 i can barely perceive the noise even in quiet environments (on that note m3 is **** and i need to replace these)

i assume all these phones you tested were in store?

as it stands, the galaxy nexus so far is ok for use on public transport - which i am satisfied with. At home though I won't be using it until some form of update comes :frowning2:

and lol apart from an actual problem i won't be returning my galaxy nexus - time setting the phone up, returning to an online seller etc is just way too annoying.

the galaxy S3 better have a good audio setup. Otherwise iphone 5 it is!!

EDIT: Important! What do you guys think would happen if i increased the impedance of my earphones? That should help control low level noise, yes?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&hash=item4156adce9b&item=280627105435&nma=true&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&rt=nc&si=X3QZMEdylJIQC1ISIcVQhsYhmlY%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc#ht_1614wt_1139

this is what i had in mind, 50 ohm version

Mar 28, 2012 at 1:47 AM Post #114 of 249
Okay, I changed kernels, it was the volume hack on Franco's kernel messing everything up.  I guess I can live with the speaker popping, since the headphone amp is quiet now.

My S4i's are probably about as sensitives as yours, since I can also barely hear the amp hissing.  Also, they have excellent isolation (good enough to use while mowing the lawn), so being in a noisy store doesn't make much of a difference.

It is true that higher impedance headphones won't pick up hissing (it's pitch black with my 42 ohm Ultrasones), but I'm not sure how that adapter works.  I'd give it a try, it's not that expensive.

Apr 3, 2012 at 2:19 PM Post #115 of 249
sidetrack!

Is there a way to use poweramp through other audio apps? such as soundcloud or pandora?

also, any updates on getting a clean line out signal from the gnex...? I really hate double amping, almost enough to use my cracked screen ipod touch as my main source of audio...

Apr 14, 2012 at 7:24 AM Post #117 of 249
Unfortunately doesn't look like it :frowning2:

Following this with interest, as I'm considering an upgrade, either a new smartphone or a seperate DAP.

In the current state of affairs leaning towards a galaxy S or nexus S, because of the wolfson DAC. But audio aside the GNex is an incredible phone, *sigh*

Apr 14, 2012 at 7:26 PM Post #118 of 249

Quote:
USB audio enabled on Galaxy Nexus?

"For those with a rooted Galaxy Nexus, try this test kernel and see if it works for you."
http://rootzwiki.com/topic/14703-12-apr-glados-v128/page__st__1680

I'm doing some testing for ezekeel (the dev behind this kernel) and we have it recognizing the DAC and loading the card.  Now the only problem is forcing the phone to switch to the card, we're almost there and the fact that the DAC is recognized is an important step forward.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back