Same Old Schiit? Balanced Research and Valhalla Amp Giveaway
Aug 21, 2011 at 7:22 AM Post #151 of 217

Do you have balanced headphones? If so, which ones?

Sennheiser HD650

If not, are you looking at balanced headphones or a balanced amp in the future?

Already run the Sennheiser 650s balanced. 

For balanced headphone output, how important is it to have dual three-pin XLRs as well as a 4-pin XLR?

Single 4-pin XLR only, no need to add dual three pins. 

For a balanced amp, how important is it to also have single-ended outputs?

If single-ended is important, is the quality of the single-ended outputs as important as the balanced outputs, or is this more of a “utility” thing so you can use all kinds of different headphones?

Single-ended would be as important as the balanced output. One might own multiple headphones and not all are balanced. Highly preferred an amp that would run both balanced and non balanced headphones equally good. 

Aug 21, 2011 at 7:42 AM Post #152 of 217
At this point, I don't have a balanced amp, nor do I have any headphones that are balanced.

I could definitely see myself getting a reasonably priced amp, then rewiring some of my headphones as balanced, as I think this is one way I could apply some DIY that would actually make a measurable, notable difference in sound quality.  The chances of me buying any high-end headphones that are already balanced is very low.

For balanced headphone output, how important is it to have dual three-pin XLRs as well as a 4-pin XLR?
It wouldn't really make a difference, since I'd be doing my own wiring.

This would be very important.  While I have a few pairs that I can see myself converting to balanced, there are others that I would really hesitate to convert, and I see little point in doing amp swapping.

If single-ended is important, is the quality of the single-ended outputs as important as the balanced outputs, or is this more of a “utility” thing so you can use all kinds of different headphones?
As above, if we're talking sound quality, my hope would be that similar quality could be found in the single-ended outputs.

Aug 21, 2011 at 8:33 AM Post #153 of 217

I don't have balanced headphones as a point of now; however, I used to own balanced HD800 as well as ED8

I'm looking to purchase either balanced PS1000 or Symphone Magnum along with balanced amp.

I rather have just the dual three-pin XLRs.  Having both will clutter the front face plate IMO.

Its very important since you can have the freedom to power other headphones that are not balanced.  I'd really want this feature.

Sound quality is very important to me.  It will be not necessary if its there just for utility.

Aug 21, 2011 at 3:38 PM Post #154 of 217

Quote:
Hey all, 

Thanks for the responses so far! Keep them coming--even if it's "I don't believe in all this balanced hoo-ha!"

As far as what we're planning, we're still working the details of the planned balanced product (or products)--hence this poll. It's really helping to clarify what we're going to provide as far as connectivity and features. We may decide to bring out a "minimum cost" balanced product (still not cheap), and another "maximally versatile" version as well. But that's all up in the air at the moment. 

The reason we're so focused on the single-ended (SE) output is that the balanced topology we're working with isn't just another "put two of the same amps in one box and run one inverted," deals--there's no good way to get a SE output (well, a quiet SE output) out of it. So the SE output would have to be an entirely separate amp section--which is why we're asking "how good's it gotta be?" Sounds like it will have to be **** good.

All the best,
Jason

To be honest I've been waiting for your next amp but if its going to be a balanced amp I'll have to pass on it because I've already invested in aftermarket SE headphone cables and I'm not willing to buy a balanced amp and then invest again in another balanced cable.  Neither would I want to invest in a balanced amp that has SE outputs with circuitry that is not top notch.   If your amp is going to be a tube amp (which I believe it is, is it?) then I'm willing to go the cost of tube rolling but not for a balanced cable.  So for me  and I think many others it wouldn't just be the cost of your new amp but also the cost of your amp AND a set of balanced cables.    I'm hoping you ditch the balanced design altogether and go SE.  

Aug 22, 2011 at 12:14 AM Post #155 of 217
No but I'm heavily considering recabling some of my headphones
Yes.
Meh.
Fairly, it's unlikely I'll ever recable all my headphones to balanced.
I'd rank it as slightly less important but definitely not as frivolous as a simple "utility". 

Aug 22, 2011 at 12:29 AM Post #157 of 217
* HD800 - dual 3-pin, LCD2 - 4-pin, D7000 - 4 -pin

Yes to both.  I am looking for a 2nd balanced amp to complement my WA22.

4-pin for sure.  Dual 3-pin would be a plus for me.

I could live without SE outputs.

It would be a utility thing for me as I would have all of my headphones balanced.  Looking forward to your offering!!!!

Quote:

Hey all,

We’re getting ready to finalize the feature set for a possible upcoming balanced amp, and we thought you might want to let us know what you think about balanced amps, what features you want, if it should include the kitchen sink, if it should be priced under $50*, etc. 

To sweeten the pot, everyone who responds before August 31, 2011 will be entered to win a Valhalla (triode OTL) headphone amplifier. We’ll announce the winner, chosen by random drawing, on September 2.

Here are the questions:

Thanks in advance for your responses! 

All the best,
Jason

*Note: This is a joke. Doing balanced right (balanced from input to output, *good* quad pot, true differential output stage, etc.) ain't cheap. Please don't tell all your friends "Schiit is gonna do a balanced amp for $50!" Because that's not gonna happen.

Aug 22, 2011 at 12:33 AM Post #158 of 217
No.

Not looking specifically at balanced headphones - but it would be nice to have the option in case I ever buy balanced in the FS section on head-fi.  Increases options.

Given there is no set standard - it would be good to have both - as long as it doesn't add significantly to the cost or performance.

For me - very important.  Most of my headphones are likely to be single ended.  To make your amps more attractive to the wider market - the ability to have both single ended and balanced would be a selling point.

As Schiit's reputation for quality is already very high, I'd think that you MUST make sure that quality is always a pre-requisite (both single and balanced).  If you were only going to add single ended as an 'afterthought' - then there would be no sense having it at all.  But having an amp that can do both, and both at high quality, makes it a much more attractive option.

For the record - I've been following Schiit's progress with interest - and while not ready yet - seriously looking at a Bitfrost and Valhalla combo as being next big purchases (will be 2012).

Aug 22, 2011 at 1:59 AM Post #159 of 217

Quote:
To be honest I've been waiting for your next amp but if its going to be a balanced amp I'll have to pass on it because I've already invested in aftermarket SE headphone cables and I'm not willing to buy a balanced amp and then invest again in another balanced cable.  Neither would I want to invest in a balanced amp that has SE outputs with circuitry that is not top notch.   If your amp is going to be a tube amp (which I believe it is, is it?) then I'm willing to go the cost of tube rolling but not for a balanced cable.  So for me  and I think many others it wouldn't just be the cost of your new amp but also the cost of your amp AND a set of balanced cables.    I'm hoping you ditch the balanced design altogether and go SE.  

You could always get your cable re-terminated to balanced, you could then turn the SE end into an adapter. Anyways there's no shortage of SE amps, including from Schiit.

Aug 22, 2011 at 9:53 AM Post #160 of 217
No.

not looking for any as for now... but soon... maybe...
not really that important for me

yes i want single-ended outputs. not all of us using balance headphone and i think its more practical this way.

if you guys want to do single-ended outputs, better do a quality single outputs. At the end of the day customer satisfaction is what Schiit is all about... amidoingitright?

Aug 22, 2011 at 12:18 PM Post #161 of 217

HD800 and LCD-2

Already run balanced headphones. 

Not really, I have adapter for dual 3 pins to 4 pins. 

Not really since both my primary headphones are balanced.

Aug 22, 2011 at 2:17 PM Post #162 of 217

Do you have balanced headphones? YES - Senn HD800 and AT W5000

For balanced headphone output, how important is it to have dual three-pin XLRs as well as a 4-pin XLR?  YES - at least for me, I run the traditional 2x 3pin XLRs, but either an adapter or retermination is possible.

For a balanced amp, how important is it to also have single-ended outputs? No - once you start listening to balanced, you don't want to listen to single ended, again an adapter or retermination is possible.

Thanks for the Poll/contest !  Keep up the great work y'all are up to.

Aug 22, 2011 at 5:24 PM Post #163 of 217

Do you have balanced headphones? If so, which ones? Unfortunately, no.

If not, are you looking at balanced headphones or a balanced amp in the future? Yeah.

For balanced headphone output, how important is it to have dual three-pin XLRs as well as a 4-pin XLR? I think any device that can have as much utility without sacrificing quality (relative to the price-point) is ideal.  As a student I prefer bang-for my buck in terms of build quality and sound integrity, if that means sacrificing a few features to be cost efficient and profitable I am okay with that.

For a balanced amp, how important is it to also have single-ended outputs?  I think it would be necessary to entice me.  I will inevitably own unbalanced headphones/IEMs as well as a balanced pair when I purchase them.  Going back to cost efficiency, if this can perform well (quality/price) as a single-end amp that would be a big attraction.

If single-ended is important, is the quality of the single-ended outputs as important as the balanced outputs, or is this more of a “utility” thing so you can use all kinds of different headphones?  I want to say quality here, but bear in mind quality, for example, describing a little dot (200-500 usd) is not the same as super high end (10000 usd).

In summary, overall feel of quality is more important to me than features.  The more quality features that can be fit in without over-inflating the price the better.  The more flexible a product is the more enticing it is, so long as it maintains its integrity (relative the the price point).  It may be worth noting that the price also should be informed by the cost of the targeted headphone use...it wouldn't make sense to optimize an amp for mid-range cans and then sell it for a premium price.  I would personally be more likely to buy something less than $600 as I will not, in the foreseeable future, be spending more than $400 on any pair of cans or IEMs.

Aug 22, 2011 at 6:00 PM Post #164 of 217

Quote:
The reason we're so focused on the single-ended (SE) output is that the balanced topology we're working with isn't just another "put two of the same amps in one box and run one inverted," deals--there's no good way to get a SE output (well, a quiet SE output) out of it. So the SE output would have to be an entirely separate amp section--which is why we're asking "how good's it gotta be?" Sounds like it will have to be **** good.

Well now I'm really curious as to how you guys are implementing it...

Aug 22, 2011 at 7:42 PM Post #165 of 217

No, I don't.

To be honest, I've yet to be convinced by the merits of balanced. I understand the point in signal cables, but I fail to quite see it when it comes to going to the headphones. The biggest thing I can identify is not sharing ground, but that's hardly balanced now, is it?

Since it seems neither is a proper standard right now, I would personally either add both, or put two three-pin XLRs on there and add a small converter in the box. That means that, when you have your headphones plugged in, there are no bare XLR ports visible. And let's be honest, those aren't pretty, especially combo-jacks :wink:.

I think that, with afore-mentioned combo-jacks being available, there should always be an unbalanced output on an amp. This makes comparing balanced and unbalanced easier, it makes comparing different headphones easier (especially if that means the amp can drive two pairs of headphones simultaneously) and it means that you can ditch a lesser, unbalanced amp more easily. Or, you could include (possibly) another converter cable.

I think the quality should be identical. These are high-end headphone amps we're talking about, they shouldn't need to have huge compromises.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back