Sad day: World's largest music collection goes up for auction
Aug 21, 2008 at 3:25 AM Post #91 of 115
Could do worse, it could be set up with ibuds
wink.gif

Aug 21, 2008 at 4:28 AM Post #92 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I had the money, I'd buy it, build a wicked storage facility, hire a bunch of graduate musicologists who need some serious cash and have them go through it, and whatever can't be found in a digital format, I'd have digitized and stored in a database. Ideally a good amount of that would be in the free domain at this point and away we are with a massive history of music available for the world to hear.

I would probably put them all in vinyl sleeves with tags on the end library style and hire some people to make a giant database of them, categorizing them through year and artist, so put the artists in groups, then put those artists in order from old to new, and like you would like digitize it.

Aug 21, 2008 at 5:17 AM Post #93 of 115
What happened in the end ? I thought the winner of the e-bay listing was a young kid who bid on it for a laugh, I'm not sure the collection even got sold in the end ? Anyone know any more ?

Aug 21, 2008 at 6:59 AM Post #94 of 115
Did anyone save the pictures that were in the auction? I did not get to see it and now the listing has been removed.

Aug 21, 2008 at 7:06 AM Post #95 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But a good dinosaur
smily_headphones1.gif

I read that he had the opportunity to sell to quite a few museums for up to 3x what he received but he was always looking for at least 10x what they were offering. In the end, when the collection really did have to go, he simply sold to the only bidder willing to commit to buying.

Ah so it did sell in the end?
Quote:

As you say, so many folks have $3 mil that wouldn't put a hair of a dent in their finances. Given this, I am surprised some folks weren't more keen on grabbing it. If this were in Asia, I wonder if that super star audiophile would have picked it up. I think he already has nearly 1 million records...but this collection, so rare and complete...might have been just what he was looking for to be the all out grandest music lover of this age.

Ah! Are you talking about that guy in China who had a multi-story mansion built specifically for his audiophile needs?
tongue.gif
I'm sure he's got his hands full cataloguing his already massive collection. Then again, why not if you can afford it?
bigsmile_face.gif

Quote:

If I had the money, I'd buy it, build a wicked storage facility, hire a bunch of graduate musicologists who need some serious cash and have them go through it, and whatever can't be found in a digital format, I'd have digitized and stored in a database. Ideally a good amount of that would be in the free domain at this point and away we are with a massive history of music available for the world to hear.

Quote:

Originally Posted by synaesthetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hope the collection stays intact and becomes accessible by the general public.

Same here. I would think that any private buyer would already have quite a substantial collection and wouldn't be purchasing a few million additional records purely for listening purposes.

flashnolan, Did they differ from the ones already on the official site?

Aug 21, 2008 at 7:08 AM Post #96 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif

flashnolan, Did they differ from the ones already on the official site?

I have no idea. I have not seen one picture about this yet. Where is the official site?

Aug 21, 2008 at 3:52 PM Post #100 of 115
He can sell it in Lossless Digital formats ..all he needs is a little help from some IT kid in setting up a server.

since he is old ...i guess time is running out.

if i had the money ...i would have just bought it & started selling them in Lossless Digital format one-by-one to all head-fi members
biggrin.gif

Mar 13, 2009 at 9:39 PM Post #102 of 115
If I were that rich, I would never buy that many records or CDs or whatever. Pointless, in my opinion. Or, more precisely, I feel this method of hoarding rapes the music of some of it's beauty in some way. Kind of like collecting baseball cards when you don't care about the players.

Mar 13, 2009 at 11:17 PM Post #103 of 115
Sound-of-Muzak, you're missing the main point. Go back and read the thread.
This was approx 60 years worth of collecting by someone who was in the business.
He got very sick and put the collection up for sale with some very important stipulations.
The collection could not be broken up and sold off, and
It was preferred that the collection go to charity or a museum for other's to benefit from.

Mar 15, 2009 at 7:10 PM Post #104 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by pank2002 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Amazing and sad. I would very much like to know how he organizes it electronically. It would be interesting to know.

iTunes, clearly.

Mar 15, 2009 at 7:20 PM Post #105 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sound-of-Muzak, you're missing the main point. Go back and read the thread.
This was approx 60 years worth of collecting by someone who was in the business.
He got very sick and put the collection up for sale with some very important stipulations.
The collection could not be broken up and sold off, and
It was preferred that the collection go to charity or a museum for other's to benefit from.

I understand all those points you restated and read the entire thread before posting. Once again, it seems futile to me, to collect that many albums, nor does it inspire awe in my psyche.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back