SACDs
Jan 22, 2012 at 11:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 48

DesireUsername

100+ Head-Fier
Anyone aware of anywhere where you can still purchase Beck's Sea Change SACD? Amazon/eBay has them listed at anywhere from $100 - 150...kinda ridiculous I thought, maybe not?

Jan 22, 2012 at 11:27 PM Post #2 of 48
They actually can go for even more than that -- when you can find them.  Long out of print and one of the very best quality SACD recordings ever.  

Jan 22, 2012 at 11:44 PM Post #3 of 48
That's kinda a bittersweet feeling...

Jan 23, 2012 at 1:36 PM Post #4 of 48
Does this happen often with SACD's?  They get discontinued and price goes up crazy amounts?  I've noticed this on a few albums now.  It's tough because initial purchase price of $30+ is hard to swallow sometimes!

Jan 23, 2012 at 6:29 PM Post #5 of 48
Good question, because according to one of the SACD websites the starting price was something like $30. Doesn't seem to be that for alot of the classical SACDs out there, but I haven't really looked obsessively over anything besides Sea Change. 

Whatcha run your SACDs out of Sneis?

Jan 24, 2012 at 1:17 AM Post #6 of 48
Check ebay, half.com, and Amazon a lot and you might be surprised what you can get it for. You just have to be in the right place at the right time.  One recently went on ebay in like new condition for $63 with a buy it now. If you don't need the surround mix you can't go wrong with the MFSL gold CD.

Jan 24, 2012 at 1:26 AM Post #7 of 48
Check ebay, half.com, and Amazon a lot and you might be surprised what you can get it for. You just have to be in the right place at the right time.  One recently went on ebay in like new condition for $63 with a buy it now. If you don't need the surround mix you can't go wrong with the MFSL gold CD.

Really digging half.com, besides the $230 sea change :p...
I'm really annoyed over that $63 one I missed

Jan 24, 2012 at 1:58 AM Post #8 of 48
On half you can add it to your wishlist with a set price and it will send you an e-mail if one gets listed.  You can also do a "match my price" and it will automatically buy it for you. I'm leery of that because of people not listing things correctly.

Jan 24, 2012 at 1:14 PM Post #11 of 48

Quote:

I have heard both.  MoFi is the next best thing but is not nearly as good as the 2-channel SACD layer on this title.  I would not pay the exorbitant current asking price for the SACD but the fact is MoFi, while sounding quite good, is a step down, especially if listening on a highly resolving system.  Also, lots of fugazi for this type of product on eBay -- buyer beware.

Jan 24, 2012 at 3:04 PM Post #12 of 48
WOW!! I had no idea that SACD's are going for so much now.  Looks like its time for me to pull out my boxed up SACD's and DVD-Audio and put them on ebay.  To bad I only have a few (Peter Gabriel - UP, Linkin Park - Reanimation, Train - My Private Nation, and a couple other's I can't think of right now).  Should have bought more back in the day.

Jan 24, 2012 at 10:36 PM Post #13 of 48

Quote:
I have an xa5400es as my sacd source.  There's a few sacd's I want that have reached $60ish but I can't justify them quite yet!

[size=medium]Wow, nice player.[/size]
[size=medium]Do you use a receiver with that or just through the headphone output? I'm trying to find a receiver that'll accept the 5.1 outputs to downmix the channels for SACD usage through headphones( that is necessary, right?)[/size]

[size=medium]I'm running mine outta a Sony 595...exact model is somewhere on my profile.[/size]

Jan 26, 2012 at 1:48 AM Post #14 of 48
I have it hooked up via analog or XLR out to a headphone amp (right now my KGSS and/or Zana Deux).  I think you'll need a HATS compatible Sony receiver for that... FYI the STR-da5400ES US version doesn't have HATS, don't ask how I know lol.

Jan 26, 2012 at 9:45 AM Post #15 of 48
Do. Any of the STR models? Mine doesn't either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back