SACD - The Only Logical Choice
Apr 17, 2003 at 1:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

morphsci

Can Jam '10 Lead Organizer
for me. The main reason has nothing to do with better fidelity. It has to do with hybrid SACD's. Unlike DVD-A I can obtain higher resolution in my home systems playing the SACD layer AND I can play them in my car and on my portables using the CD layer. This backward compatability is the biggest plus over DVD-A since I will not have either a portable DVD or a DVD player in my auto any time in the near future.

What about you?

Apr 17, 2003 at 6:53 PM Post #5 of 10
Actually testing with dual-layer DVD-A's didn't go so well, many players got confused by the discs. Instead, they're going to implement hybrid DVD-A's as flippers, with the redbook CD audo layer on the other side. Once this happens DVD-A's will be even more universal than SACD: you can play the redbook side in your CD player, the DD/DTS from the DVD-Video layer in your DVD player, or the MLP layer in your DVD-A player. Add in the optional video content in the DVD-A spec, and IMHO you have a much more versatile format than SACD, especially when you consider how many SACD's are single-layer not hybrid.

Not only that, but you have a chance of being able to play the MLP layer of a DVD-A in your PC (currently only with Audigy 2, but hopefully with other cards/software in the near future). Unless Sony has a change of hear you'll never be able to play the hi-res layer of a SACD in your PC, which is a big negative for HTPC users like me.

Apr 18, 2003 at 2:55 AM Post #6 of 10
The most logical format is one which has the music you want. Only one will and none of us will decide which one it is. My bet is on SACD or some new format not yet out. I think DVD-A has already lost the battle where it counts - at the corporate level. And none of this 'consumers decide what succeeds in the market' or some such nonsense.

The arguments over quality really has no practical importance. Interesting and fun to debate but of trivial significance. Let us not forget the beta days.

The arguments over quality, convenience, or compatibility really has no practical importance. Interesting and fun to debate but of trivial significance. Let us not forget the beta days.

Apr 18, 2003 at 3:04 PM Post #7 of 10
Yeah. I heard about the CD layer on DVD-A, however until I can actually play one it is not a real alternative.

I was burned too badly by all the software vaporware in the 80's
biggrin.gif

Apr 19, 2003 at 2:24 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by Achilles
My bet is on SACD or some new format not yet out. I think DVD-A has already lost the battle where it counts - at the corporate level.

I wouldn't go that far with the VHS/Beta example in the present climate. After all, a lot of labels still release on CDs and vinyl simultaneously (though I think we're going to be seeing less vinyl in the next five years).

Here's what I tend to think is going to happen: while corporate labels will release the majority of their work on SACD, independent labels and genre-specific electronic studios are very likely to put out DVD-A recordings. Why? Because their studios are designed for that purpose already, and because the licensing and expense necessary for the proprietary compression technology will seem impractical if they're only going to press 2000 at a time. The result will be that some exotic DVD-A player or other will achieve cult status, other players will continue to be available, and there will be a club-oriented or indie DVD-A market eventually. Thus, if you're a fan of small Euro labels such as din, cco and morrmusic, expect them to resolve the high-def format issue in the least costly manner possible. So far, they've no particular reason to answer to Sony or certain other corporate concerns.

Not that I'm putting down the SACD format. After all, I just bought the 963SA.

Apr 19, 2003 at 5:14 PM Post #9 of 10
When I buy a cd I want to listen to it via a cd/dvd player but also portably via my hard drive mp3 player. With DVD-As' that are currently on the market I would have to own the cd and the DVD-A with hybrid sacd's like Dark side of the moon I can have higher resolution multi-channel sound via my 963SA and then mp3 the redbook layer tracks and listen to them on my archos. The strange thing is in the UK DVD-A's are much more common and are sold in shops unlike SACDs with the exception of Dark Side of the Moon by Pink Floyd.

Wordsworth

Apr 19, 2003 at 10:58 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by wordsworth
The strange thing is in the UK DVD-A's are much more common and are sold in shops unlike SACDs with the exception of Dark Side of the Moon by Pink Floyd.

You're actually supporting a bit of my theory, Wordsworth. Sales outside America can resuscitate supposedly discarded technologies when convenience and other virtues make them sufficiently attractive. If the US were the only music market in the world, the minidisc would never have survived for as long as it has.

BTW: Where's Dorothy W. these days?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back