SACD Player
Apr 23, 2005 at 1:59 PM Post #31 of 41
Hey, I'm kinda interested in the ns775v. Can I ask how it is with regular redbook? I have a descent cd player but it is on the verge of dying and with a baby on the way I can't spend much of anything on "me and my audio stuff" so I need something cheap for a year or so. Will this do the trick or is the Toshiba 4960 a better bet?

P.S. Really sorry hi-jacking the thread, but hopefully it's useful
confused.gif
icon10.gif

Apr 23, 2005 at 10:35 PM Post #33 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Actual
Don't worry. Go for it. My work here is done.

And congratulations on having a baby. I hope you can find a cheap player that you like.

Hey, thanks a ton! Well I went out this afternoon to buy the Sony but it was gone
mad.gif
So I went to best buy to see if they had anything worthwhile. I ended up with a Toshiba 3980 and just set it up and put in Kind of Blue and was sorely dissapointed.

See my Denon is having trouble playing cd-r's which I would imagine is due to it's age and the technology wasn't quite there yet when it came out. So I think I might take it back and use the money to buy some cd's that I have been wanting and save up for a good cd player.

Apr 24, 2005 at 8:30 AM Post #34 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Actual
I think soundboy is most accurately interpreting my situation.

I am not expecting to get 5.1 from my current reciever, but I assumed that there was a way to combine the front and rear channels or something so that I could listen to 5.1 mixed SACDs with my current system.

No point in listening to the 5.1 mix on sacds if you don't have a 5.1 system. I think all sacds contain a stereo mix so it isn't really a big deal.

Apr 26, 2005 at 11:09 PM Post #35 of 41
IMHO, I can say that all but the best surround systems can be bettered by a good two channel system if the media is good quality. With my(was, now sold) very decent NAD/Paradigm/Denon HT set up, surround performance was good enough to leave more than a few listening with there mouth open. This until I compared the system to a set of Paradigm Signature S8's with my WooAudio 3 as a preamp and an Anthem MCA20 at 200 w/channel with the same source. I was not surprised that music in two channel blew the surround system away in sound and imaging. I was surprised however that movies and multi channel SACD got smoked in Surround by the two channel set up. I don't just mean it was better sounding(of course it would be), I mean that the surround experience was much better as well. This was with the new kick ass speakers in the surround as well. The imaging in two channel movies was astonishing, no more surround for me! Since I am moving to Asia and will me mobile, the S8's were out of the question as well though. Enter my HD650s which replace my HD600s. Sound is better than with the speakers minus the rumbling from the bass. The only downside is that you are the only one dancing at your house parties!

David

Feb 28, 2014 at 12:21 AM Post #38 of 41
what about the one that supports BluRay ?
is there any player that can supports both BluRay and SACD DSD ?

Feb 28, 2014 at 2:10 AM Post #39 of 41
pick a few good sony's from the 2000's. call the nearest sony outlet and ask them to check stock at all locations. they should ship to your home. they are refurbished but that is fine. the ns999es is outstanding for less than $300 for instance. only dvd but great at sacd. the only thing is you cannot leave it on 24/7. it will blow the power supply. set it to auto off and it will last many years. very good ones like the scd-1(sacd player only) are a steal there. you can get one for like $1,500. of course there are the newer non es models too. did I mention I love the sony outlet?

Santana, yes but more expensive. oppo bdp-105 darbee is super duper. I still like these because dacs cannot decode sacd due to copy protection.

Mar 2, 2014 at 9:20 PM Post #40 of 41
  pick a few good sony's from the 2000's. call the nearest sony outlet and ask them to check stock at all locations. they should ship to your home. they are refurbished but that is fine. the ns999es is outstanding for less than $300 for instance. only dvd but great at sacd. the only thing is you cannot leave it on 24/7. it will blow the power supply. set it to auto off and it will last many years. very good ones like the scd-1(sacd player only) are a steal there. you can get one for like $1,500. of course there are the newer non es models too. did I mention I love the sony outlet?

Santana, yes but more expensive. oppo bdp-105 darbee is super duper. I still like these because dacs cannot decode sacd due to copy protection.

The Sony NS999ES is what I use and it is outstanding in both redbook and sacd. I compared it to the Denon 2910 I had been using and it pretty much blew the Denon away. The only area where the Denon was better was in the bass. The Denon did have more and better bass than any other player I ever heard. I still have both players but the Sony is the one that gets almost all the listening time. If I am listening to something with a lot of bass sometimes I will switch to the Denon, jazz especially is quite good on that player.

Mar 2, 2014 at 11:35 PM Post #41 of 41
Cool, many thanks people :) !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back