SACD Player
Apr 15, 2005 at 1:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

The Actual

Headphoneus Supremus
I finally have enough money for an SACD player, but have no idea where to start looking.

My preferred budget is three hundred dollars, but could that if popular (head-fi) opinion recommends it. All that I need is for the player to be SACD compatible, and have standard features like a pause/resume button, be able to skip tracks and stuff.

I have heard that there are alot of cheap DVD players that can play SACDs, and was told that they sound fine with a good amp. Is this actually true, or will sound quality be sub-par with the engineers focusing mainly on playing DVDs?

Thanks for your help.

Apr 15, 2005 at 4:22 AM Post #2 of 41
If you are looking for a dedicated SACD/CD player for under $300.00, I think the only choice is Sony. In its regular line, Sony has the SCD-CE595 5 disc SACD/CD changer. A lot has been written about the performance of this player, including mods from Tube Research Labs. I personally own the regular SCD-CE595 and it's an excellent player....well worth the $150.00 I paid for it.

Sony also has the ES version of the SCD-CE595 in the C2000ES. Based on what I've read on this model, it's certainly a step-up when compared to the SCD-CE595 in both performance and features. The MSRP of the C2000ES is $400.00, but you can pick this model up online from etailers such as Oades Brothers for $250.00. If you want to check either one of the Sony players out, you can go to your local Good Guys.

As for DVD-derived SACD players, the single-disc Sony DVP-NS775V has received a lot of notice as well. Most likely because of its low price of $120.00 or so. I actually purchased this model and is considering replace my SCD-CE595 with it. There's also a $300.00 Sony DVP-NS975V, but it's basically the same machine as the DVP-NS775V except for the HDMI video output. There's a review of this model in the current issue of Sound and Vision.

Aside from the Sony players, there're many universal players available under $300.00, including those from Toshiba , Pioneer, Samsung, Yamaha, and Onkyo. These will play DVD-Audio in addition to SACD/DVD/CD. I really don't know how these players perform though.

Apr 15, 2005 at 4:28 AM Post #3 of 41
If you go to your local CompUSA store, then you can pick up a Pioneer DV-563A universal DVD player for only $100 USD. The original price is $150 USD MSRP. It will play everything you throw at it and SA-CD as well.

Apr 15, 2005 at 5:02 AM Post #5 of 41
Yes, I saw the Pioneer DV-563A at my local CompUSA store on Route 10 East in New Jersey for $99.99 USD. Yes, the Pioneer DV-578A is not as good as the DV-563A. Right now, the low price and versatile DV-563A is my first choice for an entry level SA-CD player.

Apr 15, 2005 at 5:07 AM Post #6 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Welly Wu
Yes, I saw the Pioneer DV-563A at my local CompUSA store on Route 10 East in New Jersey for $99.99 USD. Yes, the Pioneer DV-578A is not as good as the DV-563A. Right now, the low price and versatile DV-563A is my first choice for an entry level SA-CD player.

That's an excellent price. May have to visit my local CompUSA (which owns the Good Guys).

Apr 15, 2005 at 5:14 AM Post #7 of 41
Yes, it is an excellent price. I would suggest that you hold off on purchasing it until this upcoming Sunday as there are always discounts, specials, and coupons that you can find in your CompUSA circular. I think that it may have a firmware upgrade too. The MSRP is $249 USD.

Apr 15, 2005 at 1:39 PM Post #9 of 41
That firmware upgrade was to get it to play some Universal discs it was having trouble recognizing as SACDs. You have to send it in to a repair shop to have it flashed because Pioneer doesnt give out the discs.

I think the newer players have the updated software. Check avsforum and audioasylum for more info.

Apr 15, 2005 at 6:51 PM Post #10 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Welly Wu
If you go to your local CompUSA store, then you can pick up a Pioneer DV-563A universal DVD player for only $100 USD. The original price is $150 USD MSRP. It will play everything you throw at it and SA-CD as well.

If I were to use it exclusively for listening to music, would the sound quality be as good as something like the SCD-C2000ES? For the forseeable future I will be running it through a Marantz 2226B. Thanks for the suggestions. The price of the 563A is definitely looking right.

Apr 15, 2005 at 6:56 PM Post #11 of 41
I purchased a used Sony 333ES from Purk a while back and I've been very happy with the player. I think I paid around $300 for it. If you don't mind getting used gear, I recommend the 333ES.

Apr 16, 2005 at 3:01 AM Post #12 of 41
Well, I have read some reviews of the DV-563A and while they all say that the player is a great deal, I am starting to think that it might not be what I actually want.

Now I am thinking that I want to buy the last CD/SACD player that I will ever want, and am willing to spend closer to around four hundred dollars. So I know that four hundred is not that much, but I would still like to get a source that sounds better than the reviews I read said the DV-563A sounds.

Also: None of the reviews were from sources that I have much respect for, but the average opinion of the four reviews I read all seemed to say that when A/B tested with a more expensive model, the pioneer could not compete in terms of sound quality, definition, and imaging.

Thanks.

Apr 17, 2005 at 3:44 AM Post #13 of 41
I was just looking through the For Sale / Trade forum (I had previously only been considering new) and was wondering if any one has any experience with the DVP-NS775V as an SACD player, or the Sony SCD-C222ES with SACD mod.

The SCD-C222ES sounds kind of interesting.

Does anyone know how well these multichannel players will work with my Marantz 2226B? It is pretty old, so I don't know if there will be any problems.

Apr 17, 2005 at 4:13 AM Post #14 of 41
The Actual, check this 963SA thread out. That would be my advice. Can't touch it for that kind of money!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back