SACD Player
Apr 17, 2005 at 11:15 AM Post #16 of 41
I was happy with my Sony DVP NS900V till I bought a Philips 963SA
600smile.gif
. The second player was much better (the Sony was quite pathetic on redbook in comparison).

Apr 17, 2005 at 6:11 PM Post #17 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Actual
I was just looking through the For Sale / Trade forum (I had previously only been considering new) and was wondering if any one has any experience with the DVP-NS775V as an SACD player, or the Sony SCD-C222ES with SACD mod.

I have the DVP-NS775V....just haven't taken it out of the box yet. I am trying to see if it will match the performance of the SCD-CE595. Much more of a single-disc player myself.

Apr 17, 2005 at 7:11 PM Post #18 of 41
Well, I tried to post this last night but my computer wasn't working.

I looked at the 963SA thread, and it sounded interesting. I looked at the ebay listing and saw that four were available so I didn't think there was much of a hurry. Then I went and listened to the first half of Dummy, made a phone call, and came back to see that there were only two 963SAs left, so I read a couple reviews online and bought one.

Even if the quality isn't as good as something like the SCD-C222ES or the DVDS1500, I think that it might be worth it to have the 963SA and ten CDs than the DVDS1500. But maybe not, whatever.

Thanks for all of the responses; I really had no idea where to start looking on my own.

Apr 17, 2005 at 10:53 PM Post #20 of 41
When your 630SA will be there you might pay attention to the following:

1. Use the multichannel front lef/right rca connectors for maximum quality. In the manual its clearly stated that the (ordinary) audio left/right are for a cheap connection to a tv set.

2. Also for maximum quality, you should change in the menu in both "MOVIE MODE" and "MUSIC MODE" front left/right speakers to "LARGE".

I hope you'll enjoy your new toy
icon10.gif

Apr 17, 2005 at 10:57 PM Post #21 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdWiser
When your 630SA will be there you might pay attention to the following:

1. Use the multichannel front lef/right rca connectors for maximum quality. In the manual its clearly stated that the (ordinary) audio left/right are for a cheap connection to a tv set.

But if I use this wouldn't I lose the rear left and right channels from 5.1 recordings?

Thanks for the advice though, and also I ordered a 963SA if that makes a difference.

Apr 22, 2005 at 1:30 AM Post #23 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Actual
Does anyone know how well these multichannel players will work with my Marantz 2226B? It is pretty old, so I don't know if there will be any problems.

If your Marantz does not have 6 multi-channel discrete analog inputs, then you will not be able to utilize the SACD and DVD-Audio discs in multichannel. All you will be able to do is listen to the 2 channel layer. This is not to be confused with the digital output on the CDP or DVD player with only allows playback of Dolby Digital or DTS tracks, which has nothing to do with SACD or DVD-Audio technology.

Apr 22, 2005 at 1:49 AM Post #24 of 41
That 2226B is a vintage receiver. Only stereo inputs there.

Apr 22, 2005 at 1:53 AM Post #25 of 41
The Actual,
I just researched your receiver, and although it is beautiful, it has no multichannel capabilities. No center channel and no LFE output. You will not be able to use your rears as surrounds. You will get the same output as your mains.

http://www.classic-audio.com/marantz/2226b.html

You will need to buy a different reciever. although cheaply built, for $200-$250, there are Sony, Onkyo, Pioneer, etc. that will offer you multichannel playback. You will also need a center channel and sub, to be fully functional.
These also offer DD 5.1 and DTS playback in surround for movies.

Here's a sample of what I got for my friend who asked my help setting up a SACD/DVD-Audio/DVD surround sound system. This costs $213.00.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ist&sku=316903

Apr 22, 2005 at 2:32 AM Post #26 of 41
The Marantz is a 2 channel stereo receiver. Your receiver should have no problems working with your SACD player. However, since your receiver is a 2 channel model, you will only get the left/right channel signals from your SACDs. When playing your SACDs, you need to make sure the SACD player is set for 2 channel mode. Almost all SACD contain a dedicated 2 channel mix, so you are not losing anything since SACD is not just about multi-channel capability. On a good hi-rez stereo SACD, you will get much better resolution than regular CD.

Just so you know, the top-of-the-line Sony and Marantz SACD players are stereo-only models.

Apr 22, 2005 at 8:57 AM Post #27 of 41
I would second soundboy's opinion.
You lose almost nothing listening only the stereo layer of any sacd. Multi chan amplifiers are almost always cheap but cheaply built, sound quality would be an issue and we, humans, are used to stereo listening. We are used to sit in front of the orchestra not in the middle
tongue.gif

I've tried to listen to the multichan layer of The Dark Side of the Moon - anniversary SACD and I found it unusual but confusing. I switched back to stereo and never looked back, not even for movies. My two cents
icon10.gif

Apr 22, 2005 at 4:48 PM Post #28 of 41
I agree with AdWiser.

More channel doesn't mean better sound. I am not against surround sound at all since I do think that will be the future. But for now, unless you have the money, a 2 channel system will sound better than a surround sound system of similar price.

The good thing about SACD is that they contain that dedicated 2 channel stereo mix. I certainly don't want a 2 channel mixdown version done by the player's internal processor.

Apr 23, 2005 at 4:58 AM Post #29 of 41
I think soundboy is most accurately interpreting my situation.

I am not expecting to get 5.1 from my current reciever, but I assumed that there was a way to combine the front and rear channels or something so that I could listen to 5.1 mixed SACDs with my current system.

Apr 23, 2005 at 6:24 AM Post #30 of 41
There's no downmixing with SACD. Even if that can be done, you would be messing with the original intent of the surround mix.

BTW, The Good Guys (since you are in the Bay Area, The Actual) is having a sale on the Sony DVP-NS775V. It's listed at $100.00 on Good Guys' website. From all that I can read on the net regarding this player, it's quite a bargain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back