SACD "officially dead"!?!
Mar 17, 2005 at 8:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 58

Sugano-san

1000+ Head-Fier
I just read in a German online av-magazine that on the occasion of the Moscow hifi show Sony and Philips have announced that they will no longer support SACD as a format, because the average consumer does not notice the difference.

According to the article, Sony will cease production of SACD players as of the end of this year. 800 employees may be affected. Philips is said to have deactivated all SACD-related functions from its website {I did not check this.} Hybrid discs combining CD and DVD-A may be the future of consumer digital hi-rez audio.

Mar 17, 2005 at 8:26 PM Post #2 of 58
There have been rumors of the death of SACD for the past year so this wouldn't surprise me if its true but I certainly hope that it is not. If the hybrid dvd-a / cd discs your referring to is the Dual Disc format then I don't think that is the future either as it is not compatible with a decent amount of existing players.

I hate to say it but I think any hi-rez format maybe destined to fail in this day and age of mp3s and other compressed audio. The record companies seem to really be behind downloadable online music and I think that has become their main focus and I fear this may leave hi-rez formats to fend for themselves.

I truly hope SACD survives as it really does offer a level of refinement and clarity (when done right) that Redbook CD's just can't match.

Anyways thats my two cents

Mar 17, 2005 at 8:32 PM Post #3 of 58
There certainly is a death knell for SACD.

Perhaps there is a better format on the horizon.

I won't hold my breath.
rolleyes.gif

-Ed

Mar 17, 2005 at 8:39 PM Post #5 of 58
Or maybe SACD is not dead, it just smells funny...
lambda.gif

Mar 17, 2005 at 9:01 PM Post #9 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by acs236
Sounds like we're going to be left with the wonderful dualdiscs.
frown.gif

Dual Disc will die as well unless they can fix all the compatibility issues.

Mar 17, 2005 at 9:02 PM Post #10 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by 00940
Actually, it could be dead but not officially yet
wink.gif

oh no... not that arafat thing again...

Mar 17, 2005 at 9:15 PM Post #11 of 58
Mar 17, 2005 at 9:55 PM Post #13 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by lini
False alarm - see here: http://www.av-magazin.de/Ton_News.49...f4229ad.0.html

for the Deutsch-impaired, here's Google's translation of lini's article:

Quote:

, we asked the question about the fortbestand of the SACD to rectification about SACDIn one today on the AV magazine article appeared. After respectable search we state that there is no reason to doubt the SACD technology.

In the past weeks it gave information about the fact again and again that Sony and the Philips's will leave SACD format. After thoroughly search there is no reason to accept that Sony or Philips with the production of hard and software stop. Appropriate sources of information turned out as wrong or misinterpreted.

Here again the quotation of Rodolphe Lamert of Philips:

"The SACD format is definitely not going to be stopped."

Since the publishers of the AV magazine operate respectable reporting from the range of the entertainment electronics, we removed the appropriate article from the net.

Wrong or misinterpreted? Perhaps they were using Google's translation engine...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back