SACD Mini-Reviews: Contribute!
Oct 29, 2007 at 5:44 PM Post #212 of 221
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A couple more SACD's to recommend to you all:

"Love Story" - Vivian Green

51sBJxV10jL._AA240_.jpg

A very nice example of the current R&B/Soul genre. I have the Redbook version as well, which I picked up a year or so ago. This is a single-layer SACD disc, so it's only playable on corresponding hi-rez players. The recording quality is great on both, so I assume the mastering is the same. The difference with the SACD disc is subtle, but evident in what it doesn't do (which is typical in SACD/Redbook comparisions, ime). The hi-rez disc's noise floor is lower, with blacker background, especially evident during quiet or silent passages. This results is a broader soundstage. Regardless of the disc format, this is a very enjoyable, cohesive album that deserves to be played as such. If you like this style of music, and don't have an SACD player, get the redbook.

Now will you please stop spending my money?!
tongue.gif

In fact, since my little excessive exercise with "Cheap Thrills" I am no longer afraid of single layer SACDs.

Apr 6, 2008 at 5:45 PM Post #213 of 221
I finally took the plunge and have a Marantz SA8001 on its way to me via UPS. I've read through this entire thread and now have a bunch of discs on order as well.

Does anyone have any new "must-have" sacds to add?

Apr 6, 2008 at 7:44 PM Post #214 of 221
Quote:

Originally Posted by guynamedjohn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I finally took the plunge and have a Marantz SA8001 on its way to me via UPS. I've read through this entire thread and now have a bunch of discs on order as well.

Does anyone have any new "must-have" sacds to add?

I haven't been through the entire thread, but one of my reference SACDs is Jorma Kaukonen's "Blue Country Heart." I don't know if you're into the roots/bluegrass/country genre, but this recording is stunning. The music, performance, recording, everything, is near perfect. I always reach for it when I evaluate a new pair of headphones. Or just want to relax with a superb record and recording. Highly recommended.

jorma-10.jpg

Apr 6, 2008 at 9:13 PM Post #215 of 221
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't been through the entire thread, but one of my reference SACDs is Jorma Kaukonen's "Blue Country Heart." I don't know if you're into the roots/bluegrass/country genre, but this recording is stunning. The music, performance, recording, everything, is near perfect. I always reach for it when I evaluate a new pair of headphones. Or just want to relax with a superb record and recording. Highly recommended.

jorma-10.jpg

Thanks. That is a great album which I listen to regularly. I wasn't aware of the sacd version - I'll definitely be picking one up.

May 12, 2008 at 9:58 PM Post #216 of 221
Rebecca Pidgeon - Retrospective

51RG25Z4SYL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

I had never heard of her before, but took a chance and picked this one up at Fry's since it said Chesky records. I am glad I did. Not only is the recording quite well done, the songs are nice and varied. Everything from folk, to slow blues, to light rock and a little bit of pop thrown in for good measure. Very easy to get into, ideal for easy/casual listening, but it also serves well for some critical listening.

Great job by Chesky, nice warm sounding no shrill highs like some other pop SACD's tend to have. Great dynamics, still nowhere close to Whites off Earth Now! which has some incredible dynamics, but I guess the recording style doesnt allow for more room in this one. Vocals have all the room and clarity to shine, really does sound like she is in the room singing in front of you. Also worth noting is that its a SACD only record and not a hybrid.

May 13, 2008 at 10:29 AM Post #217 of 221
Quote:

Originally Posted by jilgiljongiljing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Rebecca Pidgeon - Retrospective

51RG25Z4SYL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Also worth noting is that its a SACD only record and not a hybrid.

Be aware that this one is available as a Hybrid too. Have it here.

May 13, 2008 at 4:49 PM Post #219 of 221
Quote:

Originally Posted by jilgiljongiljing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting, they have both a SACD only and a hybrid of the same disc on the same label?

SA-CD.net only lists the hybrid, but there are also two releases of "The Raven" from Chesky. I'd guess it was re-released as a Hybrid and you simply came across old stock.

Apr 18, 2009 at 5:43 AM Post #221 of 221
Thread was languishing in 2008
smile.gif
, time to bring it into the future! On that note, hehe, it's getting harder to find SACDs. However, I happened across Borders today, and at least in my local store, about half the audio discs were marked 50% off. Selection is, obviously, hit-or-miss, but some good deals to be found.

A bunch of brief reviews:

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon. Great SACD, even for those who weren't previously fans of PF.

Carlos Santana - Abraxas Awesome. If you are at all a fan of guitar, this is an easy recommendation. This is my wife's go-to disc when the player is empty. Great for focused listening, also very pleasant background music for kicking around the house.

DiMeola, McLaughlin, DeLucia - Friday Night in San Francsico In terms of recording quality, this one of the best recordings I have heard, in any format. In terms of musical content, it is a good performance of some of the most talented guitarists of the time....but this is not the most exciting or emotionally involving set of tunes, to me.

Marvin Gaye - Let's get it on Picked this one up on a lark, very glad I did. Exceptionally good quality recording of the classic tunes. I've not compared the SACD directly to the Redbook version, but I would be surprised if the SACD wasn't a clear improvement.

Ray Charles - Genius Loves Company Good music, excellent if you're a R.C. fan. Recording quality is good, but not truly exceptional, IMO.

Art Tatum - Piano tarts here/Live at the Shrine (Zenph reperformance). I drink the Zenph kool-aid, after hearing this disc, and the one below. Hope they choose to release that Rachmaninoff reperformance. Awesome. If you listen to headphones and enjoy piano music, buy this, no questions!

Glenn Gould - Bach/Goldberg Variations (Zenph reperformance). Another tour-de-force. Awesome. If you like the Goldberg variations, or Bach piano in general, this should be at the top of your list.

Eric Clapton - Slowhand. Good, not great, and I quite like Clapton. For some reason, I end up listening to the "Cocaine" track on repeat, then switch discs. But maybe that's because of the poor track choice/order, where the lurid "Cocaine" is followed by the sappy "Wonderful Tonight." In all candor, I would buy the disc again just for "Cocaine."

Diana Krall - The girl in the other room
Great recording, decent music. Diana Krall has always seemed (to me) the Ford Mustang of jazz...many people drive her around, but it is a shame if they never get behind the wheel of a true performer. I got this one as a gift, and it is usually played as background music when we are politically correct for new dinner guests. It is not a bad disc/album at all, just uninspired.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back