SACD Mini-Reviews: Contribute!
Jun 4, 2003 at 6:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 221

MacDEF

Headphone Hussy (will wear anything if it sounds good)
This thread is intended to be a Head-Fi "library" of SACD commentary/reviews; a "buying guide," if you will.

Now that more and more SACDs are being released, we get a lot of threads asking which are good. Some albums are clear upgrades over their Redbook versions, but some aren't. Some have great multi-channel mixes, but mediocre two-channel (sometimes even worse than the original Redbook). Some classical CDs provide great sound, but poor performances.

As you audition new SACD releases, post your impressions here. Is a particular album worth "re-buying" on SACD? Is the sound significantly better than Redbook? Is it hybrid? Is the Redbook layer also remastered? Feel free to post thorough reviews or even just short comments -- just post something
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 4, 2003 at 8:00 PM Post #2 of 221
OK, I'll start. My favorite SACD (musically, not necessarily sonically) that I own is Bob Dylan Blonde on Blone, arguably his best album, which is saying a lot. I think there are two versions of this disc, as Sony is re-releasing a lot of their older 2-channel discs in multi-channel. I have the original stereo version which is several years old now, no idea if the newer multi-channel version contains an updated 2-channel mix or if it's the same.

I remember being slack jawed at how good such an old recording could sound. This was I believe the first SACD I bought, and it really sold me. You can see so far into the recording, its amazing, especially when I compare it to the very recent "24-bit" CD versions of the Blonde on Blone songs that are anthologized on his best of discs, they just sound so crispy and digital next to the analog smoothness of SACD.

Another favorite is Carol King's classic "Tapestry", a master class in song-writing. What is not to love about this album and these fantastic songs? One thing revealed by SACD for the first time for me is the fact that she has a tendency to sing through her nose, lending the vocals a very "nasal" quality!
eek.gif
You can also very clearly hear James Taylor singing back-up vocals. I also have the original stereo issue, but there is a multi-channel one as well.

Thanks, MacDEF, this is a great idea for a thread. Can you make a sticky thread for DVD-As, too? I'd like to contribute to that as well. If other people are inspired and contribute, I'll write up more of my SACDs here. Cheers.

Mark

Jun 4, 2003 at 8:51 PM Post #3 of 221
Audioquest label: Terry Evans- Puttin It Down. Great blues, well recorded in the first place, but more refined and spacious on the sacd vs cd. Evans deep powerful voice is amazingly real and present on this recording, especially the sacd layer. This is a hybrid dual layer sacd/cd, by the way.
Mighty Sam McClain- Greatest hits on the same label. Also hybrid sacd/cd. If you like raw, gritty, emotional blues vocals; this man is for you. Excellent guitar as well, and a good mix of slow and uptempo song choices. The sacd layer smokes the cd if your equipment is up to the task; more space, depth and instruments and the vocals are more solid.

Jun 4, 2003 at 11:57 PM Post #4 of 221
Blue Oyster Cult - Agents of Fortune -- hybrid, stereo, multichannel. Stereo DSD layer kinda sucks, haven't heard the multichannel nor redbook layers yet.

Will add more as I listen, that's the only one I remember off-hand. Great idea for a thread, MacDEF. Should we do something similar for DVD-A's, or just post 'em here?

Jun 5, 2003 at 4:20 PM Post #5 of 221
I will second what sacdlover Mighty Sam McClain - Greatest Hits

I have Peter Gabriel's SACD's 1-4, So, Plays Live. All are excellent. That said, I have not compared them to the redbook reissues.

Isaac Hayes - Hot Buttered Soul. Great songs. This release really lets you here deep into the studio. A big time treat.

Sonny Rollins - Plus 4. Very close to my vinyl.

Bill Evans - Waltz for Debbie, Sunday at Village Vanguard. Trounces the XRCD and Redbook release by Analogue Productions. These two Bill Evans SACDs are enough reason to have a SACD player.

Jeff Beck - Blow by Blow. I have had this on vinyl, half speed master vinyl, cd, Sony's SMB CD and SACD. This release is close to the half speed master vinyl copy I have. A few parts let me really hear what Jeff was doing.

Santana - Abraxas. Great tone on his guitar. Not as good as my vinyl, but damn close. Guitar is scary realistic, CDs always sounded unrealistic in terms of his tone.

I will shortly have Peter Gabriel's Up on SACD. This should be interesting as the CD is very good in terms of sound.

I have a few other SACDs as well, but these are my top sounding ones. Luckily these are some of my favorites as well. Always nice to be able to buy something that you really want to listen too.

SACD reissue wishlist:

Santana up to 1985
Yes 90125
Allman Brothers Live at Fillmore East, Eat a Peach
Jeff Beck - Truth, Blow By Blow, There and Back, Guitar Shop, Who Else!
Donny Hathaway - Live
Marvin Gaye - What's Goin' Live, Live (Palladium recording), Let's Get It On
Any Stax/Volt

Jun 5, 2003 at 4:41 PM Post #6 of 221
I purchased five Peter Gabriel SACDs, all of which I have on Redbook. The comments below are only on the sound quality, and pertain only to whether or not you should "rebuy" these albums on SACD.

3: not stellar, but clearly improved over the Redbook. If you're a big fan of the album, worth getting.

Security: highly recommended; significant improvement.

So: highly recommended; significant improvement.

Passion: the sound of the original Redbook was already very good; the sound of the SACD is clearly better, but probably only worth re-buying if you have a great system.

Us: the sound of the original wasn't great, and there isn't much improvement here, IMO. Not recommended.

Jun 5, 2003 at 4:45 PM Post #7 of 221
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF
I purchased five Peter Gabriel SACDs, all of which I have on Redbook. The comments below are only on the sound quality, and pertain only to whether or not you should "rebuy" these albums on SACD.

3: not stellar, but clearly improved over the Redbook. If you're a big fan of the album, worth getting.

Security: highly recommended; significant improvement.

So: highly recommended; significant improvement.

Passion: the sound of the original Redbook was already very good; the sound of the SACD is clearly better, but probably only worth re-buying if you have a great system.

Us: the sound of the original wasn't great, and there isn't much improvement here, IMO. Not recommended.

Mac thanks for that. That helps me out quite a bit.

Jun 5, 2003 at 11:30 PM Post #8 of 221
Dave Brubeck Quartet: Time Out: a bit of an improvement, but if you don't have a top-notch system, probably not worth it, IMO.

John Coltrane: A Love Supreme: Get it!
biggrin.gif
The soundstage seems a tiny bit exaggerated to me (especially for the drums), but overall it's MUCH better than either of the previous Redbook versions I have.

Jun 6, 2003 at 2:29 AM Post #9 of 221
I would also recommend Peter Gabriel's Shaking the Tree. I noticed a difference in the quality compared to my redbook copy. It sounds more alive, with an extra level of clarity, and the bass seems more active, especially with my etys. Thanks for the input on the other discs, as I am a huge Gabriel fan

Jun 6, 2003 at 7:52 AM Post #10 of 221
.Terence Blanchard - Let's Get Lost ,might be the best SACD I've heard.It's a pure DSD recording and the sonics are amazing.Guest vocalists include Cassandra Wilson and Diana Krall.

Muddy Waters - Folk Singer geat music,fantastic sound.I have this on Redbook as well and it sounds much better on SACD with a much deeper bottom end and amazing vocal clarity.

Philip Bailey - Soul On Jazz I have this on HDCD as well and the improvement from that format is astonishing.From the liner notes it sounds as if this is also a pure DSD recording.It sure sounds amazing and Mr. Bailey is in rare,top form.

Billie Holiday - Lady in Satin this is far too important a recording to be given the hack-job remastering,but that's what happened here.I am really disappointed.If you have heard this even once on any of the many vinyl remasters you'll know what I mean.If you have heard it as an mono pressing you'll just want to cry at the terrible mastering job done on this SACD issue.

Charles Mingus - Mingus AH UM - only the 45rpm Classic remasters sound better.This is an example of what can be accomplished with SACD.The sound and music are stunning.

Blood,Sweat and Tears - Blood,Sweat and Tears -The vinyl sounds better but not by much.the SACD has a better bottom end with much better defined vocals but the vinyl beats it in terms of imaging and tonal accuracy.

Luther Vandross - Never Too Much ,This recording has never sounded better,not on vinyl and not on CD of any kind.Previous releases of this great music were simply a prelude to this.It was held back in all it's glory until SACD came along.One of the best SACDs I've heard.

I'll list some more later.This is just what I had in my bedroom when I saw this thread and ran to grab them.I have a bunch(150-175?) SACDs so I'll add some more thoughts later.This is a great thread idea Mac.

Jun 7, 2003 at 8:01 AM Post #11 of 221
Boston: This 1970s group put out some decent music way back then. Perhaps their best known song "More Than A Feeling" is the only song in the album i remember from my high school days. The other songs on the album are also quite nice. One odd note about the music is how unusually recessed the singers sound, like they are further back on the soundstage compared to the instruments...

Footloose Original Soundtrack: Nice collection of various artists songs featured in the movie including Kenny Logins singing the title song, John Mellencamp, Foreigner...Recording quality is not the best in some songs...

Bangles greatest Hits: i'm only one of two or three people in the universe who like(ed) this group but most of the songs are actually decent though my musical tastes have sinve moved away from this kind of music...Recording quality varies some presumably because it's a collection from different albums but overalls it's pretty good.

Gloria Estefan Greatest Hits: Nice collection of her hits. Sadly one of my favorite songs from her "1, 2, 3, 4" is a remix version which i really think is junk compared to the original...Overall recording quality is mediocre.

Pink Floyd; Dark Side Of The Moon: I've wasn't a fan of this group but got this album on recommendation of a friend. My first impression of the music seemed to be of a person on a drug induced psychosis. Being a concept album it's best to play the album from start to finish not random since several of the songs blend into the next. The album has grown on me now and i actually come to like it a lot. Recording quality is truly amazing particularly being from the early 70s. Haven't listened to the red book layer yet. Currently my favorite SACD

Jun 7, 2003 at 7:38 PM Post #12 of 221
  1. Dances With Wolves - Soundtrack: The music is stunning, but on the original redbook CD there was a lot to be desired. The SACD disc absolutely does justice to the music. A must have as far as I'm concerned.
  2. Blood, Sweat, and Tears: I'll second Tuberoller's recommendation. Variations on a Theme never sounded better. The transients and the horns are incredible.
  3. Earth, Wind, and Fire - Gratitude: The redbook version is alright, but the SACD version really brings out the ambiance of the live recording. And Maurice White, Phillip Bailey, and Verndine White's vocals sound great.

Jun 9, 2003 at 12:40 AM Post #13 of 221
Top Gun Soundtrack Not multichannel, but the disk is an absolute blast to listen to. Sonically, a big 'wow' effect..

This disk blew my mind over my other SACD titles.

Jun 10, 2003 at 2:14 PM Post #15 of 221
John Coltrane - Blue Train .This is simply amazing.I own this recording in so many different pressings,including the original mono,Blue Note Stereo,Classic records 180G stereo and the recent 45 rpm Deep groove mono(the best so far).This SACD pounces them all.The detail is unreal and the layering and instrument placement is precise and absolute.I am hearing things I have never before heard on this recording.

I picked up this and the Nora Jones SACD last night.They were both officially released today.I'll edit this post and add thought about the Nora Jones disc when I get a chance to listen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back