Sabaj D5: the DAC that is unquestionably a digital to analog converter
Dec 24, 2019 at 1:02 PM Post #226 of 298
SMSL SP200 and others were on aliexpress shipping from France/UK. as long as supplies last which can take a while to restock
and still are, but all at full retail price of $289,99 :))

Jan 6, 2020 at 8:20 PM Post #229 of 298
Does anyone know how to connect the Sabaj D5 to a Raspberry Pi with Volumio via I2s connection (not USB)? What are the requirements? Thanks!
The Sabaj D5 uses the Gustard i2s standard.
gustard_standard.jpg

Mar 5, 2020 at 2:56 PM Post #231 of 298
Can anyone recommend me what I2C to USB converter I should get? I'd like to also know if there would be sound in difference in using i2C over USB?
Thanks in advance.
I'm not sure there would be an improvement if converting USB to I2S, it would just be another conversion in the chain. You would require a high quality I2S native source to stand any chance of noticing any improvement.

Mar 9, 2020 at 4:43 PM Post #234 of 298
V1.4. All the product now is V1.4, no need to update. hifi-express is on sale now.
https://hifi-express.com/collection...pro-heaphone-amplifier?variant=26167321788516

Hello Polly - I tried to instant message you, but the site says your privacy settings won't allow me to.

I was an early adopter of the Sabaj D5 - I bought mine from the Ali store in April, 2019. Overall my experience has been great, as I've commented on this thread. That said, I've twice recently had a bad experience using the RCA line out.

This morning, right after powering it up, I got really distorted sound out to my Stax SRM 717 amp, which then faded completely. To rule out the Stax SRM 717 - I used my Stax 252A - and had the same result. I then connected planar headphones directly to the line out, and got either distortion or no sound. It was at this point I realized that my remote was no longer working, even after fresh batteries. I checked "system" under settings and discovered my firmware was 1.1.

I had something similar happen to me once before, but when completely unplugging from the wall after powering down, the system seemed to have recovered. Right now my headphone out ports (both single ended and balanced) are still working, but line out - both XLR and RCA - are distorted or mute. We'll see if that's still the case after work.

Since my firmware is 1.1 - can I get a tool sent to me? I'm hoping that will resolve all of my current issues.

Mar 11, 2020 at 4:25 AM Post #235 of 298
Hello Polly - I tried to instant message you, but the site says your privacy settings won't allow me to.

I was an early adopter of the Sabaj D5 - I bought mine from the Ali store in April, 2019. Overall my experience has been great, as I've commented on this thread. That said, I've twice recently had a bad experience using the RCA line out.

This morning, right after powering it up, I got really distorted sound out to my Stax SRM 717 amp, which then faded completely. To rule out the Stax SRM 717 - I used my Stax 252A - and had the same result. I then connected planar headphones directly to the line out, and got either distortion or no sound. It was at this point I realized that my remote was no longer working, even after fresh batteries. I checked "system" under settings and discovered my firmware was 1.1.

I had something similar happen to me once before, but when completely unplugging from the wall after powering down, the system seemed to have recovered. Right now my headphone out ports (both single ended and balanced) are still working, but line out - both XLR and RCA - are distorted or mute. We'll see if that's still the case after work.

Since my firmware is 1.1 - can I get a tool sent to me? I'm hoping that will resolve all of my current issues.
Yes,send me the address and telephone number that used for shipping. I will send you the upgrade tool free. My email:pollyjingjing@gmail.com Thanks.

Mar 11, 2020 at 4:41 AM Post #236 of 298
Mar 11, 2020 at 4:38 PM Post #237 of 298
Yes,send me the address and telephone number that used for shipping. I will send you the upgrade tool free. My email:pollyjingjing@gmail.com Thanks.

Thank you. I posted the same request on Ali Express - and received a tracking number for the tool very quickly. Hopefully it will come with instructions.

That said, I left the D5 unplugged all day at work, and when I returned it appeared to have completely recovered? At least via XLR line out, my DAC was outputting sound and my remote started working again. I most recently had this issue when using RCA out, I'll try that again this weekend.

Mar 12, 2020 at 4:31 PM Post #238 of 298
I just picked up the D5 and plugged it in. Clean and natural!
So I started with some music and felt something was off but what was it ... I know these songs in and out and something just isn't right ... because it's LEFT!

Using https://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests_headphones.php I found out that the channels are swapped when using the USB connection (at least). Confirmed on both the internal outputs and the line-out.
Firmware 1.4
Is this a 'common' thing? I hate to return it but I might just have to since this will influence any resale value.

Mar 13, 2020 at 2:12 AM Post #240 of 298
I just picked up the D5 and plugged it in. Clean and natural!
So I started with some music and felt something was off but what was it ... I know these songs in and out and something just isn't right ... because it's LEFT!

Using https://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests_headphones.php I found out that the channels are swapped when using the USB connection (at least). Confirmed on both the internal outputs and the line-out.
Firmware 1.4
Is this a 'common' thing? I hate to return it but I might just have to since this will influence any resale value.
What is the meaning of because it's LEFT! ?The right didn't have the output?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back