SA5000 Owners, Post Your Impressions Here
Mar 30, 2005 at 6:02 PM Post #91 of 379
edit

Mar 30, 2005 at 6:07 PM Post #92 of 379
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
It's new, it doesn't say anything about it
wink.gif

Ah well good point, after my quick post I realized he hasn't burned them in yet.

Mar 30, 2005 at 6:10 PM Post #94 of 379
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
It's new, it doesn't say anything about it
wink.gif

Well, actually they are about 150 hours burned in, (according to the previous owner) I got them from another headfier, which was burning them a few days, not sure how much they will need, they still sound pretty stiff and dry to me, but I would like to know IYE which is the aproximate time for them to sound optimal??? The CD3000 needs about 200 or more...maybe they will improve, or maybe I will get used ot it, later on....

[size=xx-small]But definitelly comparing both the CD3000 sounds euphonic and lovely in comparison....
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
[/size]

Mar 30, 2005 at 6:13 PM Post #96 of 379
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller
[size=xx-small]But definitelly comparing both the CD3000 sounds euphonic and lovely in comparison....
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
[/size]

Thanks, Sov....I was waiting for your impressions, because I know you love the CD3000, as I do. You saved me about $400.
biggrin.gif

Mar 30, 2005 at 6:39 PM Post #98 of 379
Quote:

Originally Posted by joelongwood
Thanks, Sov....I was waiting for your impressions, because I know you love the CD3000, as I do. You saved me about $400.
biggrin.gif

Well i will give them a chance of prove me wrong, I iwll wait until the new RP33 hits me....but with my turbocharged PPA I still prefer the CD3000 till now

The presentation is slightly different, the mids are little bumped (Grado like), and comming from so many years of using the CD3000 only, maybe I will need some time to get used to it, definitelly a good set of cans, but I still prefer the old Sony school, CD3000/R-10 to the new SA5000/Qualia.....this is by far my first impressions OK? I could change my mind in a few days, after getting used to them, trucks of details, but difinitelly I was expecting more bass (quantity)

Mar 30, 2005 at 6:42 PM Post #99 of 379
At the PDX meet recently, those of us who listened to the CD3k and SA5k thought the SA5k wasn't really bright, just had a lot of extension up high. Not overbalanced in the highs by any means (quite the contrary) but *everything* was audible up there.

Personally I was really unimpressed with the CD3ks, they were the first cans I listened to, and I felt the sound signature was just a mess. The SA5ks though I thought sounded beautiful. (Edit: both on the same gear)

Mar 30, 2005 at 6:48 PM Post #100 of 379
Quote:

Originally Posted by devwild
At the PDX meet recently, those of us who listened to the CD3k and SA5k thought the SA5k wasn't really bright, just had a lot of extension up high. Not overbalanced in the highs by any means (quite the contrary) but *everything* was audible up there.

Personally I was really unimpressed with the CD3ks, they were the first cans I listened to, and I felt the sound signature was just a mess. The SA5ks though I thought sounded beautiful. (Edit: both on the same gear)

Coming from the Grado line of headphones you may find more to your taste the SA5000. They are more Grado like sounding, but I do not like the Grado sound, at least not the one I have heard....

Mar 30, 2005 at 6:59 PM Post #101 of 379
Quote:

Originally Posted by agile_one
No, the SA5k is not a total isolation can - I can hear normal conversation in the same room, phone, doorbell, etc with them on, unless I am listening at very loud levels (which I am prone to do for short duration on occaision
eek.gif
). They do not leak very much sound outward, though, so at normal listening levels, you will not be disturbing others.

[size=small]Thanks for the info. I would like some high-end cans with great detail and transparency. I have been considering the AKG K501's, the Beyer DT660's and the Joe Grado HP1/2's. It seems these SA5000's may have more resolution than any of these phones altough I may have to hear them for myself to decide on the transparency (neutrality) issue.[/size]

Mar 30, 2005 at 7:02 PM Post #102 of 379
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jap
[size=small]Thanks for the info. I would like some high-end cans with great detail and transparency. I have been considering the AKG K501's, the Beyer DT660's and the Joe Grado HP1/2's. It seems these SA5000's may have more resolution than any of these phones altough I may have to hear them for myself to decide on the transparency (neutrality) issue.[/size]

Definitelly more than the K501 and HP1, not sure aobut the 660, but the 660 are not considered the top of the line on the Beyer line neither resolution and trasparency talking

Mar 30, 2005 at 7:05 PM Post #103 of 379
Quote:

Definitelly more than the K501 and HP1, not sure aobut the 660, but the 660 are not considered the top of the line on the Beyer line neither resolution and trasparency talking

[size=small]Sorry! That was a misprint!
cool.gif
I meant the Beyer DT880's---not the DT660's.[/size]

Mar 30, 2005 at 7:45 PM Post #104 of 379
Quote:

I would like to know IYE which is the aproximate time for them to sound optimal??? The CD3000 needs about 200 or more...maybe they will improve, or maybe I will get used ot it, later on....

I started to notice some more settling down around 250-300. They got darker around 500-600 hours. I think I'm around 950-1000 now. I left mine on all the time to approach those hours fast. I can't really say I got used to the sound since I didn't really listen to the headphone for long periods of time in the first few hundred hours. I'd sample some songs here and there to watch it's progress.

As for the extended bass and treble. The quality of the source is important here. Better ones should allow you to hear the bass easier and deeper and make the treble less harsh.

Mar 30, 2005 at 7:47 PM Post #105 of 379
Quote:

Originally Posted by Canman
The SA5000 sounds pretty nice out of your old Singlepower Maestro.
smily_headphones1.gif

The Maestro seems to be a good amp for this headphone because it has the quickness of solid state amps but the smoothness in the midrange does well for the SA5K.

Owwwww ... somehow I just knew you'd say that, Brian. I can only imagine how terrific the SA5k's sound with the Maestro and your G08.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back