SA5000 Owners, Post Your Impressions Here
Mar 30, 2005 at 8:47 PM Post #106 of 379
The Super Audio 5000's have arrived.

Boy are they weird looking. I've seen pictures, but it's not what I was expecting. The super-wide headband is actually a tad uncomfortable for me, despite hte manuals claim that it is wide to be comfortable. I'm sure I'll get used to it.

As to the sound -- they're not burned in yet, so take this with many grains of salt.

My immediate reaction was -- these are sound REALLY thin. Where's the bass? But after a couple of minutes I was struck with how unbelievably fast these headphones are. I am listening to Close to the Edge and the precision and tightness throughout the sonic spectrum is pretty unbelievable.

Brightness? Haven't noticed it yet.

Mar 30, 2005 at 8:55 PM Post #107 of 379
Quote:

Originally Posted by acs236
"....My immediate reaction was -- these are sound REALLY thin. Where's the bass?.........

.....Brightness? Haven't noticed it yet....."

Really????
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
Thin and bright in my book are very similar, if not the same, isn't it???
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

Mar 30, 2005 at 9:03 PM Post #108 of 379
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller
Really????
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
Thin and bright in my book are very similar, if not the same, isn't it???
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

To avoid getting bogged down in terminology. I didn't notice excess or over emphasis on treble, but they sound colder (not as lush in some ways) than the Grados I've been listening to.

Mar 30, 2005 at 9:17 PM Post #109 of 379
Quote:

To avoid getting bogged down in terminology. I didn't notice excess or over emphasis on treble, but they sound colder (not as lush in some ways) than the Grados I've been listening to.

IMO, maybe I'm wrong, if in one frequency spectrum, there is a lacking or deficit on one part of it, the rest by transition get more prominent, and it is emphasized "in comparison"....it is not a big deal though to use of one terminology or another here IMO, and this will not be an issue, nor I will discuss that anymore......

What I was trying to say is that if someone consider the CD3000 as bright (BTW I do not) then the SA5000 will be unbearable to them, if they do like that presentation, then the CD3000 can't be bright to them, or they were listening a defective one (as the ones I had in the past that sounded completely bright) or there was a big system mismatch at that moment...definitely those are brighter than the CD3000, or thinner, or less bassy, or whatever terminology you find more comfortable using...not sure if is the highs or the mid-highs, but they have a bump that make them sound bright, maybe that will be tamed during the burn in, I hope so......

Mar 30, 2005 at 9:30 PM Post #110 of 379
I see what your saying. However, my point is that I didn't find the highs at all over emphasized or piercing, as I found with the 325i. And yet, the bass, right now, seems a tad lacking, but I'm starting to think it's just incredibly tight.

Mar 30, 2005 at 9:34 PM Post #111 of 379
Quote:

I see what your saying. However, my point is that I didn't find the highs at all over emphasized or piercing, as I found with the 325i. And yet, the bass, right now, seems a tad lacking, but I'm starting to think it's just incredibly tight.

Maybe not piercing, but I do find them a little grainy, maybe it was the details, I still need ot try my best recordings on it....I hope that I would like it overtime, I hate to sell things, but honestly I do not find the CD3000 short in comparison in anything yet...So for now the CD3000 are still a keeper for me.....and not even in the details, burn in will tell anyway, we'll see.....
biggrin.gif

Mar 30, 2005 at 9:37 PM Post #112 of 379
I also agree that the SR-325i sounds absolutely PIERCING and inconsistent on the treble compared to the SA1000. It also sounds more "congested" and less airy.

BTW - Brightness and Thinness are not the same thing. What you call THIN is what I call "AIRY" or "LITE" sounding. Fleetfooted sound without undue weight. Highs are crisp on the SA5000 - they are pure sibilant on the CD3000. Bass is a one note monotone (both mean the same maybe?) on the CD3000...bass is luxurious on the HD-650 - Bass is taut and articulated on the SA5000.

I think the SA5000 is a clear improvement on the CD3000. Yes there will be individuals who will absolutely loathe its sound. There will be individuals who prefer the CD3000. There will be individuals who will be undecided.

I dont LOVE its sound...to me the Orpheus is the peak of the mountain and everything else doesnt quite match up - but I am willing to compromise as long as my budget doesnt permit extravagance.

I think, for what it does, it is an excellent headphone. Stunningly quick, powerful bass with plenty of articulation, luscious highs without sibilance.

My pair should be well past 200 hours by now and I can only hope they get better with time.

Cant wait to get my SA5000 back
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 30, 2005 at 9:54 PM Post #113 of 379
Sovkiller,

You're a Gov't Mule fan, right? Try the SA5ks with Thorazine Shuffle (Track 2 on Dose). At roughly the sixth minute Abts starts playing these mini drum fills -- it sounds so tight and natural.

Mar 31, 2005 at 12:24 AM Post #114 of 379
Well, got my SA5K's this afternoon - so far I like them with ~1hr on them. To me, a previous owner of the CD3K, they seem to have some of what I liked in the 3K's - details and a little forwardness. They are definitely less bright, but I can still forsee getting some fatigue from listening to them for hours at a time.

They are a lot lighter and somewhat cheaper feeling than I had hoped for $400, and the packaging is kind of a joke re: the comment about the cloth wrapped cardboard. I thought in the pictures I had seen that it was a carry bag, wish they had done that!

All in all, they are decent though, and I might sell my HD-650's in favor of these, who knows.

More to follow as they break in more and as I get to compare them more w/the 650's...

Mar 31, 2005 at 1:02 AM Post #115 of 379
After about 3 hours of burn-in, I am loving the SA5000 already. I have a feeling I won't be upgrading for quite some time. The bass is very much to my liking, kind of like ER-4 bass but louder. It does sound a bit thin to me, but it seems like it will go away with more burn-in. It is very fast and decay is excellent. It's kind of funny though; I don't really notice the "hyperdetail". Maybe it's because it hasn't opened up yet, but the detail seems about on par with the ER-4. I don't really want to comment further because I'm sure the sound is going to improve quite a bit, but I have a feeling the SA5000 is the perfect headphone for me.

Mar 31, 2005 at 1:46 AM Post #118 of 379
Quote:

Originally Posted by RHMMMM
Why are you getting all 3 models again? (just wondering)

Oh the SA3000 is being passed around like a bad rumor
smily_headphones1.gif

JJCHA (owner) --> Ian (early SA5K adopter) --> gsferrari (wanker)

eggosmile.gif

I should have all three at the same time together mid-late April? (yeesh! this is one of those "stand together separately!" kind of statements
plainface.gif
)

Mar 31, 2005 at 2:08 AM Post #119 of 379
Initial impression is that they sound rather like the K501s. There's a lot of sparkle in the upper register, and they certainly can be bright. A piccolo in one of my reference discs (music for wind band) has a scalp-lifting clarity. The bass is certainly present, but it's thinner than I would prefer. Still, it's capable of going deep while remaining tight. Comparatively, the A900 bass response would be looser and less controlled, the DT880 more soft-edged. I'm still undecided about the mids. Not as smooth as the AKGs and somewhat recessed at times.

These are very cold headphones, probably more so even than the K501s, and like those, they synergize well with the PPA to offer a very detailed, analytical presentation that I rather like. The sound has an etched quality that the Sennheiser contingent will find absolutely anathema--utterly unmusical and floodlit with an unnatural brilliance.

Understand that all this is day two with about 15 hours break-in. I'll let them ripen for a bit and see how they develop. Out of the box, they seem promising.

BW

Mar 31, 2005 at 3:23 AM Post #120 of 379
Quote:

Sovkiller,

You're a Gov't Mule fan, right? Try the SA5ks with Thorazine Shuffle (Track 2 on Dose). At roughly the sixth minute Abts starts playing these mini drum fills -- it sounds so tight and natural.

I will do definitelly, right now I enjoying a Satriani album....I feel the sound now a little different, I feel the bass tighter, but present, it is a matter of getting used to them, but definitelly not the bass the CD3000 has....they are like, what can I say.....adictive???....LOL....let's keep on playing with them to see.....

One thing is sure, they are fine cans, maybe they won't be my cup of tea at the end, but difinitelly I can live with them my whole life without complaint (but missing others, and that is the part I do not like...LOL...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back