SA5000 Owners, Post Your Impressions Here
Mar 30, 2005 at 3:14 AM Post #76 of 379
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
I really don't like the SA5k with the SR-71. Pushes the highs too far forward. I only became really happy with the SA5k when I stopped using it with the iPod + SR-71.

Best,

-Jason

I wonder how they would work with a tube amp or would I totally miss the point????

Mar 30, 2005 at 3:22 AM Post #77 of 379
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
I wonder how they would work with a tube amp or would I totally miss the point????

Read gurus' impressions (post #73). He seems quite happy pairing a tube amp with the SA5000.

Mar 30, 2005 at 3:22 AM Post #78 of 379
If anyone could recommend an amp that would synergize well with the SA5k, I would appreciate it! Thanks.

Mar 30, 2005 at 3:27 AM Post #79 of 379
Quote:

They sound great with my HD25. I think I prefer them with the Dynahi, which handles the extremes better than the HD25. It's also seems a faster and a bit more controlled. However, I could live with the SA5K and the HD25 and be very happy.

Mar 30, 2005 at 12:23 PM Post #80 of 379
[size=small]
Sovkiller,
I am well aware that there are a number of variables in the reproduction process. However, a case can certainly be made for transpatency (or neutrality). One can always apply their own equalization to adjust sound to their taste, and the more neutral or transparent a phone is, the easier it is to equalize.

To SA5000 users,
does the SA5000 isolate the listener from outside sounds very well? Do the phones leak sound easily, or is the listener left in a sonic oasis?[/size]

Mar 30, 2005 at 2:55 PM Post #81 of 379
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
I really don't like the SA5k with the SR-71. Pushes the highs too far forward. I only became really happy with the SA5k when I stopped using it with the iPod + SR-71.

I'm ok with the SA5k and SR-71 as long as the source is very high quality. I can see why an iPod would let you down. Have you listened to the SA5k's from the SR-71 fed by your Chord separates?

Quote:

To my ears, a good tube amp is a great way to go with the SA5k's. I've only heard from my Earmax Pro so far, but the combo is terrffic. Just the slight extra body and smoothness from the tubes to complement the SA5k's detail and quickness is wonderful.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jap
To SA5000 users,
does the SA5000 isolate the listener from outside sounds very well? Do the phones leak sound easily, or is the listener left in a sonic oasis?

No, the SA5k is not a total isolation can - I can hear normal conversation in the same room, phone, doorbell, etc with them on, unless I am listening at very loud levels (which I am prone to do for short duration on occaision
eek.gif
). They do not leak very much sound outward, though, so at normal listening levels, you will not be disturbing others.

Mar 30, 2005 at 3:15 PM Post #82 of 379
I don't know to what point to pair a fast resolving headphone, which strengths are mainly those, speed and resolution, with a mellow tube amp will be a really good idea, don't forget also that this line was designed mainly to be used with the new fast and high resolution digital formats....but as usual preference is all about, and if this is what you enjoy, nothing to do there....
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
Tube lovers will always find a reason to use tubes...LOL...
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
one thing is sure, they need high current, and fast amps, to give you their best...if you will use tubes, just be aware of that, high current is the key to make them sing....
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

Mar 30, 2005 at 3:30 PM Post #83 of 379
I can see both sides about amp pairings. One one hand, pairing a warm amp with the SA5000 (or CD3000) would seem to play against its described colder presentation. However, I can also see why that would be a good thing. When mine arrive -- today -- I'll try them first with the Prehead and then with the much warmer Gilmore v.1.

Mar 30, 2005 at 4:48 PM Post #84 of 379
Quote:

Originally Posted by agile_one
I'm ok with the SA5k and SR-71 as long as the source is very high quality. I can see why an iPod would let you down. Have you listened to the SA5k's from the SR-71 fed by your Chord separates?

To my ears, a good tube amp is a great way to go with the SA5k's. I've only heard from my Earmax Pro so far, but the combo is terrffic. Just the slight extra body and smoothness from the tubes to complement the SA5k's detail and quickness is wonderful.

The SA5000 sounds pretty nice out of your old Singlepower Maestro.
smily_headphones1.gif

The Maestro seems to be a good amp for this headphone because it has the quickness of solid state amps but the smoothness in the midrange does well for the SA5K.

Mar 30, 2005 at 5:08 PM Post #85 of 379
Received them, and taking a little time to listen to them, and get used, my frist impressions, out of the box, no hollowness thanks God, but they are bright....for those who does not like the CD3000 due the brightness, do not touch the SA5000.....LOL....I do not feel the bass better nor more extended than the CD3000, and the highs definitely are more piercing but detailed as well, a little grainy is my first impression, let's wait a few days until I get used to them....I need more time to get used to it and do a more critical listening, and evaluation....We'll see....another thing is that they are not as sensitive as the CD3000, they need more power, they are not for the faint of the heart amps OK? They need current OK?

Mar 30, 2005 at 5:41 PM Post #86 of 379
Quote:

agile_one, thanks for this impression. It makes it very hard to resist the SA5k for an Earmax Pro owner!

Mar 30, 2005 at 5:48 PM Post #87 of 379
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller
for those who does not like the CD3000 due the brightness, do not touch the SA5000.....LOL....

This comment from you Sov I think says a lot about the SA5Ks' bright nature.

Mar 30, 2005 at 5:56 PM Post #88 of 379
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anders
agile_one, thanks for this impression. It makes it very hard to resist the SA5k for an Earmax Pro owner!

Anders, try to resist as much as you can! Use your hard-earned discipline! Don't jump on the FOTM bandwagon like all the crowd! Be content with what you have! Otherwise the vicious upgrade circle will never end! Reason will finally win over desirousness! At least wait until I've tried it with my EMP as soon as I have mine!
smily_headphones1.gif

peacesign.gif

Mar 30, 2005 at 5:57 PM Post #89 of 379
Quote:

Originally Posted by rsaavedra
This comment from you Sov I think says a lot about the SA5Ks' bright nature.

It's new, it doesn't say anything about it
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back