SA5000 oddity?
Jun 29, 2005 at 1:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

acs236

Headphoneus Supremus
I don't know exactly how to describe this, but, if I recall correctly, I heard Mikey01 make a comment (he can correct me if I'm wrong) at the recent Cinci meet that he thought something about the SA5000 improved when the ported surface is covered. In other words, if you use you palms to make these "semi-open" cans "closed," they sound better.

I experimented with this theory a bit tonight at home, under more ideal listening conditions and I think he is on to something. I think the headstage substantially improves, more in line with the CD3000. And maybe the overall sounds becomes a bit clearer -- ironically, more open sounding.

I'm curious whether any other SA5000 owners have experimented with this and what your thoughts are. I could be hypnotizing myself, I suppose.
biggrin.gif

Jun 29, 2005 at 3:48 AM Post #2 of 7
^

Jun 29, 2005 at 4:02 AM Post #5 of 7
I just tried this. I don't like it. The bass is less punchy, treble became edgy, midrange changed / became too forward. The whole sound became out of balance.

I notice this kind of change on other headphones also but more evident on other kinds of headphones.

Jun 29, 2005 at 10:17 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
I just tried this. I don't like it. The bass is less punchy, treble became edgy, midrange changed / became too forward. The whole sound became out of balance.

I notice this kind of change on other headphones also but more evident on other kinds of headphones.

Fair enough. I at least agree a bit about the bass. I think it becomes lusher, but not as tight. I'm not sure I'd call it boomy, but I see what you're getting at.

I'm still interested in other opinions from SA5K owners.

Jun 29, 2005 at 11:42 AM Post #7 of 7
Covering the rear seems to make the preceived frequency response slightly more even -- or actually rather produces a different kind of coloration --, at the price of increased shrillness and reduced spatial depth. I still prefer the open variant. Although swapping to my HD 650 still shows how colored the SA5000 is. (That's not to say the HD 650 isn't colored in its own way.)

´‾‾‾‾‾`—¬∫¯¯¯¯`———____/‾‾‾`———— (...and now the whole curve slightly shifted in favor of high frequencies)

peacesign.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back